El Condor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Condor Reviews

You get killed just as easy going after $100 as you do $1,000,000.

Jaroo is a loner gold prospector that has more confidence than success. Luke is an escaped African-American convict that hears Jaroo's game and wants in on it. The two reluctantly work together, but as they get deeper, they find working together difficult. Can the two earn their riches together or will they devise and hopefully conquer?

"Yeah, but he's got the wrong kind of army."

John Guillermin, director of King Kong (1976), King Kong Lives (1986), The Towering Inferno, Rapture, House of Cards, and Death on the Nile, delivers El Condor. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and definitely has some unique elements and characters. The action scenes are entertaining and the characters are funny. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Lee Van Cleef, Jim Brown, Patrick O'Neal, and Mariana Hill.

"I have executed whole towns with men better than this."

I DVR'd this picture off Encore Western because it starred one of my favorite western actors, Lee Van Cleef. I will say this is a slightly above average western picture. It isn't great but it isn't terrible. The ending threw me for a loop for sure. Overall, this is worth watching once but far from being an all time great western.

May 1, 2014
Directed by John Guillermin, (Shaft in Africa (1973), The Towering Inferno (1974) and Death on the Nile (1978)), and produced by André de Toth (House of Wax (1953)), this adventure-western might seem quite dated by todays standards, but it's one of the best westerns to come out of Hollywood at the time, even though it follows the template of a lot of Spaghetti Westerns made around that time. Set in 19th Century Mexico, it follows the exploits of escaped black convict Luke (Jim Brown) who teams up with eccentric gold prospector Jaroo (Lee Van Cleef), looking for gold. Jaroo hears of a vast heavily armed fortress which is said to contain a large cache of gold. They end up recruiting a band of Native Americans, led by Santana (Iron Eyes Cody), to perform attack waves on the fort, but the fort, ran by Chavez (Patrick O'Neal) seems to be well handled to tackle the Native's attack waves, so Jaroo decides to plan a stealth attack, and they're able to get Chavez's mistress Claudine (Marianna Hill) on their side to help with their planned attack. Shot in Andalusia, Spain, where many Spaghetti Westerns were made during the 1960's, it's a good film with a good plot and Brown and Van Cleef make a good double act throughout the film, and there's some good action sequences too. It also has a good score by Maurice Jarre, which helps add to the atmosphere.
April 5, 2014
A fairly sprightly western that turns a few of the perceived notions of the old west on its head to give it somewhat of a gritty edge. Even Lee Van Cleef plays and appealing character in this one.

August 19, 2013
A watchable western. (Barely)
½ November 23, 2010
iliked this movie a lot and the chemistry between Brown and Cleef was great and the naked women of course were great
½ September 13, 2009
After the Italians started having success with Spaghetti Westerns in the Alameira region of Spain, American film productions set up shop in the same region and made faux Spaghetti Westerns (which is pretty ironic, since the early Spaghettis tried to emulate the classic Hollywood Westerns). Lee Van Cleef begame a major international star after Sergio Leonne cast him in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY and did not stray far from the deserts of Alameira much between 1964-73. This film, however, was a vehicle for former NFL-star Jim Brown. As Brown was always cast the effecient man-of-action, Van Cleef plays a drunken sidekick. The familiar plot has a fortune of gold supplosedly held in a heavily armed Mexican fortress. Brown escapes from a chain-gang in the USA to recruit Van Cleef and a small army of Apaches to help him take the fortress. Lots of determination there. The film doesn't quite click, however. Its pretty amusing when Brown recruits Van Cleef and the two partnes set out to the fortress to get the gold; Van Cleef reveals a chattier and funnier side to his persona. But then they reach the fortress and the film seems very familiar and tired. The film is somewhat famous for Marianna Hill's striptease sequence.