67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

El Norte Reviews

Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
I'm sort of embarrassed that I like this so much, especially the part when it devolves into a horror story because of THE MICE OH MY GOD THE MICE, but I don't know - it's also kind of charming in its own simple way.
Mark H

July 8, 2008
Brother and sister from Guatemala decide to seek refuge in the U.S. That's the first part. The second half details their life in that magical city in "the north" called Los Angeles. The last shot is heartbreaking. Well plotted film deservedly won an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay.
kenscheck
February 18, 2013
The simple story of a brother and sister who escape their oppressive home in Guatemala and make their way North to Mexico and eventually past the border into the US, and learn to live in America illegally and overcome their cultural differences. The scene in the sewage tunnel with the rats is horrific. I think the movie is pretty good on the whole, even if it isn't terribly complex.
June 25, 2011
very much of its time it chronicles the unrest in guatemala in the '80's as a brother & sister must fllee to escape the army hunting them after their parents r both killed by the army. Criterion as usual does a bang up job loaded with extras and a great restored print.
Maggie9731
April 3, 2011
Story of a Hispanic brother and sister and their quest to improve their life in California---sad movie
Brody M

October 14, 2009
Picked it up at the library,Tried to watch it but got bored so I took it back.Seen it at the library again & decided to give it another chance & Im so glad I did.A great movie
March 10, 2009
1999? This was released in 1982. Anyway, lucky for Enrique, immigration is manned by plodding white guys, eh?
June 11, 2007
Moving portrayal of Rosa and Enrique, Guatemalan illegal immigrants, as they cross Mexico into the United States. Heart wrenching, painful, and all too real.
elchicho25
May 3, 2007
1 of the BEST movies Ive ever seen! This film was Very well cast, directed, written and scored... the Metaphors and moving story brought things very close to home... Why isnt this on DVD?!
March 23, 2007
I don't know. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. It mainly just confused me. Random head at the end. WTF mate?
June 21, 2014
With powerful performances from its two leads, stellar filmmaking, and pointed direction, El Norte feels all too real for a fictional story. Even at its broadest and darkest moments, Gregory Nava never fails at making the film seem like an extremely close and personal work.
April 10, 2014
It's predictable and heavy-handed, but the ultimate message of the oppression of the immigrant and the death of the American dream due to our corrupt capitalist system makes "El Norte" required viewing for anyone leaning towards a conservative viewpoint on immigration reform.
Cael M.
January 27, 2013
An extremely heart wrenching, realistic portrayal of the struggles that illegal immigrants must go through in the United States. Powerful social commentary and honest emotion makes this a film that's not easy to forget, and it's very hard to not be changed walking out of this film. Beautiful, tragic, and poetic, this is a film that makes you think about the harsh realities that their lives must face.
James B.
June 3, 2013
It really makes you realize how blessed you are.
April 15, 2013
deeply thought-provoking. It's such an important film with an important message yet so well done.
Luc L.
April 13, 2013
An overlong social drama film about oppression.
Anthony B.
April 1, 2013
A milestone film that was one of the first to tell the story of illegal immigration from the perspective of the immigrants themselves, this is a powerful and moving story despite some amateurish acting and occasionally heavy-handed dialogue.
January 17, 2013
The fights scenes were unbelievable but the story, THE STORY WAS AMAZING. You would think that you wouldn't be interested in this sort of film (especially since most of it is in spanish) but if you can I highly recommend this film. You grew to love the characters, and the end of the film really made you think (you will experience depression after viewing this film.