67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Employees' Entrance Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

January 9, 2013
hardcore precode with warren william, terrific as a ruthless executive and womanizer, firing people left and right and even driving one employee to suicide. the film still packs a punch 80 years later
AJ V

September 3, 2010
This movie is definitely pre-code, it's story is a realistic and truthful account of the troubles of a working girl and her boyfriend. This movie is worth a glance.
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 17, 2009
Pre-code shenanigans, really quite lurid in its way.
September 17, 2011
early talkie romance drama probabally a B movie when originally released at 74 minutes it clips along.
January 9, 2013
pre-code hollywood films are fascinating to me and this is a great example, with a story like one found in some racy old romance magazine. a great cast. unapologetic villain. end of story melodrama. sex and sin. snappy dialogue. so interesting to see films from that era made without the constraints of the code.
Mike L.
September 8, 2012
Warren William and Loretta Young star in a story about a department store in NYC, back then a very big deal. We see the appeal of Williams as a star in the very first scene with his speech in front of the department store executives, he is the focus and a focal point. Williams is a ruthless store manager, Curt Anderson, a role that he portrays par excellence. Loretta Young is Madeline, an unemployed looker seeking employment at the department store. The two meet after hours at the store and through mutual flirtation they agree to dinner and ...uhm...her employment. To increase sales Anderson holds a meeting with the executives to brainstorm ideas, one of which is to sell men's boxers next to men's ties next to women's articles because women buy men's boxers. As we progress Madeline and Mr. West, Wallace Ford, become an article just as Mr. West is promoted to Mr. Anderson's assistant, to the chagrin of Madeline, who despite what Martin says she does know Mr. Anderson better than Martin. The ruthless nature of the store is apparent when Higgins, an employee of 30 years is dismissed and then commits suicide outside the store after Anderson fires him and tells him he is useless. There is a scene at a party when Anderson and Madeline are under the influence and Madeline then pops a number of balloons with a cigarette, perhaps I read to much into this but I believe that this is symbolic of Anderson taking Madeline's virginity and a reason why she is seduced/raped by him at the party. Once Anderson is aware that West and Madeline are married he becomes enraged and tries to break up the marriage. The ending is complicated and great, Madeline drinks poison, West shoots Anderson, Anderson forgives him, Anderson hooks up with the hussy, Anderson gets the store back on track and the hussy gets left in the dust. In one of the great modern day scenes Williams drops the hussy's toy dog in the trash can when he informs her that he still has a job. If only we could do that with all the reality TV women who have a small dog, and drop the women in the can instead of the dog.