Encino Man Reviews

October 1, 2010
Dumb is just not a strong enough word to describe this film, but oddly enough, this films plot is so stupid, that I had already forgotten about it 20 minutes in, because the actors really made something of their characters and I ended up enjoying this movie. Sure it's humour is dated, as it was trying to keep up with the trends of the early 90's, but you can easily out yourself back into that time period, as it was not that long ago. Frozen for thousands of years, a caveman is thawed in the 20th Century and must adapt and learn to speak. There are a lot of obvious gags, but others that I really did enjoy. It may be a mad movie overall, but I have no problem saying that I enjoyed watching it. "Encino Man" is worth a watch if you like dumb humour.
theunknownhobo
½ August 25, 2011
Honestly, one of my fave movies of all time, although I always knew it as California Man. A very young cast of actors who became more famous than I am sure any of them thought they would be when cast in this little known gem, I genuinely enjoy the chemistry between the three main characters and think that this movie has provided me with some gnarly one liners that I still say to this day. Hilariously original.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 28, 2011
The first cinematic outing by Pauly Shore is a half decent comedy. Though fun, and comical at times, Encino Man is not a great film. I see it as an a borderline effort in the genre, and one that can actually be quite forgotten. Encino Man gave us the taste of Pauly Shore, and what was to come with one good comedy and three other bad, repetitive comedy. In Encino Man, Pauly Shore plays a surfer type dude who he duplicated in the many films that followed. The plot is simple, two friends find a caveman in their backyard and use him to gain popularity. Encino Man is a fun film, but it's nothing knee slapping hilarious. Whats funny to me though is how Pauly Shore has faded into darkness and how Brendan Frasier, Sean Astin and Robin tunney managed to all have pretty good careers. Encino Man is a average film with a few laughs throughout, but also you have to keep your expectations low. Nothing really good happens. The films plot is simple, even by comedy standards and the acting of course isn't great. Along with Son in Law, Encino Man manages to be one of the few Pauly Shore films thats watchable. But the film is really a one trick poney with Shore acting like the Weasel. Oh well, at least he made two decent films before being overly repetitive. Encino Man is a comic film with a few decent gags, but it's nothing to write home about.
September 6, 2010
Another stupid missing link movie with some of the worst big name actors of the 90s. I couldn't hardly stand to watch this movie, it's so bad. It's not even funny.
YodaMasterJedi
March 29, 2007
"Encino Man" is just an all around fun, silly movie with some good comedy and numerous quotable lines. The story behind "Encino Man" is very simple, it's about two friends that find a frozen caveman in their backyard while trying to dig a pool...then the caveman wakes up from his frozen slumber. Yeah, it's a silly plot, but it's all in good fun.

The characters in the film are great, as is the acting on all accounts. Brendan Fraser plays the title role of Link. Brendan has very few actual lines in the film, mostly just grunts and sounds...but nonetheless, he does a fantastic job with the role. Sean Astin plays Dave Morgan, the main character, who desperately wants to be popular, but has yet to be discovered. Stoney, Dave's best friend is played by Pauly Shore, a guy who is content with himself and really doesn't care for popularity. Megan Ward is Dave's love interest in the film, and looks nothing short of fantastic throughout the film. And finally there's Michael DeLuise, as the antagonist, Matt, Dave's arch-rival. There's also a few notable supporting cast-members. Robin Tunney ("Vertical Limit", "Empire Records", "End of Days") in one of her first roles, Patrick Van Horn ("Swingers"), Jonathan Ke Quan ("The Goonies", "Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom"), Rose McGowan ("Phantoms", "Scream", "Monkeybone", "Ready to Rumble") and Jack Noseworthy ("Breakdown", "U- 571", "Event Horizon") all fantastic actors rolled into one comedy.

All in all, this is a great film. The cast is great, the characters and acting are great, and the story is silly, but good at the same time. There's even a few somewhat touching scenes here and there. If you like any of the actors mentioned above, be sure to check this film out, or if you just enjoy a good, silly comedy, this is the one for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for reading,
September 24, 2009
I remember seeing this in the cinema, it was called California Man over here though. It?s a fun slice of early 90?s America youth culture. It wasn?t really like that, just in film, although some of the hair cuts are familiar!
CloudStrife84
May 2, 2007
This could have been way better if the directing wasn't so sloppy and if it didn't have the always annoying / always untalented Pauly Shore in it. It's fairly okay anyway though in all its mindless, yet somewhat amusing 90's glory.
½ November 3, 2007
Watchable California teen movie.
puffchunk
½ October 1, 2007
oh the 80's
September 3, 2007
typical 80's mindless fun.
deano
½ December 12, 2006
Digging a pool in his back garden, Sean Astin uncovers a frozen caveman. Thawed out, he's a great hit with the girls at school, lifting the curse of nerd status from Astin and weird-talking mate Pauly Shore. Far better than the critics allowed, this patchily amusing sub-Bill & Ted comedy could entertain those who are into weasel impressions in a big way.
thmtsang
½ August 5, 2007
Movie about two guys discovering a caveman from the iceage.
garyX
½ May 3, 2007
This extremely low brow comedy is a hang-over from 80s college flicks such as Weird Science and the like. Brendan Fraser displays his usual goofy charm, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Just don't expect any kind of intellectual challenge...
April 9, 2007
Not stupid funny. Just stupid.
sanjurosamurai
January 12, 2007
an old comedy classic, well old for me, im not old
½ December 27, 2006
Funny movie about a caveman in the present. Also the first and last time Pauly Shore was funny.
October 4, 2006
U know, its so bad, so cheesey its kinda good
xxdebxx
½ December 22, 2009
This is a great teen movie starring Sean Astin, Pauly Shore and Brendan Fraser. The story is pretty goofy but it's all in good fun. While digging a pool in his backyard, Sean uncovers a stone-age man frozen in a big block of ice. They decide that the only way to keep him safe is pass him off as a high-school exchange student; a plan that produces hilarious consequences! I like Shore! I loved him in "Son-In-Law," and Brendan Fraser was terrific.
If you enjoy a good, silly comedy, this is the one for you
August 6, 2007