Endless Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Endless Love Reviews

January 25, 2008
Bad, but kind of liked it. The scene with Brooke cuddled up with her dad while the romantic song plays is all kinds of wrong, but whole movie is kind of a stretch.
Ending was very unclear. I honestly couldn't tell if she went back to him or not.
However, it's an 80's movie, albeit not one I ever watched at the time, being about 7 years old when it was released.
Brooke was very beautiful and I did like her white dress, although I did wonder if they were actually intending it to look like a wedding dress!
I had no idea James Spader was in this. Apparently Tom Cruise is too, although I couldn't pick him (probably a plus!).
Very different to the "new" Endless Love movie, though there are similarities, of course. I enjoyed that, so I'm glad about that as it means I don't have to choose which is better.
February 15, 2013
Everyone who wants to see this movie does so because of one of the actors. I watched for James Spader, and he was just fabulous. Other than that, this movie wasn't very interesting, and the main characters annoyed me. It's obviously a bad relationship between these two, and it doesn't end well, and a lot of it is boring.
deano
½ October 15, 2006
This love story is alike part of 'Romeo and Juliet'. Brooke Shields was so beautiful, young and sexy of the early 1980's.
½ April 2, 2013
Brooke Shields stars in the monotonous and melodramatic romance Endless Love. Other than the amazing theme song from Lionel Richie, the film is worthless. It's just a sappy teenage love story that goes nowhere and relies completely on cliches.
February 15, 2010
finally got a hold of number two on my hard to find list, a movie my small click of freinds used to gather at one of our houses to watch during the summer like a 1000 times or so. Great little storyline that has two young lovers Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt after being torn apart by her folks for being'too young' battle to see each other however its more so on Hewitt's charectors part then hers. Its a movie that shows the extent some people will go to just to be with their true loves, also on the other hand it also shows that some guys dont know the meaning of 'no'
October 18, 2014
Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt play two 15 year olds who fall in "love". Initially everything is fine until the girls parents find out that the two are having sex. The father forbids them to see each other anymore. The movie doesn't show how the girl is affected but does show the boy obsessing over her and falling apart. After talking to a friend of his, a young Tom Cruise in his first movie, the boy decides to set fire to the girl's house, then run in and save everyone to be the hero and hopefully be able to see the girl again. The plan appears to be working until the boy confesses to the arson and then spends two years in a mental institution, where he continues to obsess. After getting out and learning that the girl's parents have divorced he goes to see her mother who tries to seduce him. He tells her he cannot sleep with anyone but Jade and manages to get her address before he leaves. On his to way to see her, he sees the father, who tries to chase him away but is hit and killed by a car. The boy is finally able to see the girl and in an intense scene she admits to still loving him. However the next day the girl finds out that her father died chasing the boy. After a fight between the boy and the girls brother, he goes back into the hospital. The movie ends with the boy staring out the window and you see the girl walking towards the hospital and you are left wondering is she really coming to see him or is he daydreaming. Decent movie with a good performance by Brooke Shields as the main female character and James Spader as her brother. For the most part the movie just stirs up emotions of what our "first love" was like and if it did not work out then it leaves you with a sad lonely feeling.
½ April 3, 2012
I am sure I will get heat for this from my wife but their are only two real reasons to see Endless love. One, to see the beautiful Brooke Shields. Not often am I stunned by the beauty of a woman but Brooke left me speechless. Two, to see Tom Cruise (albeit for only a few seconds) in his first appearance on the big screen. Other than these two jewels Endless Love is just a screwed up love story with bad acting and little connection with the viewers. I wrote there are only two real reasons to view Endless Love and while this is true I will mention that their was a strange pull or connection that this mess of a movie had on me. Not sure what it was but for some reason I liked this movie more than I should have even if it was a pretty poorly done movie.
½ February 2, 2010
I agree with the endless part, but not the love. Slow and painfully boring, riddled with every cliche in the book. Good title song, but other than that, the score is poor. The acting is barely adequate, but Martin Hewitt is unconvincing. The entire film doesn't ring true.
½ May 6, 2009
I watched this movie over and over when I was a teenager. I had the soundtrack and knew every word to the movie and hte music!
½ January 22, 2009
honestly, i don't want my mom to watch me sex and then tell me she enjoyed it. and also i don't know if i want my bf ruining my life. But for some reason i like this moviee.
July 11, 2008
Brooke Shields stars in this stalker thriller that just doesn?t really work as a comedy or a thriller, and everyone in it is really badly over-acting.
October 9, 2007
This is a sweet flick that tugs at the heart.Shields plays Jade,who is in love with David (Hewitt). Their parents will not let them have a relationship together. One day, David has a talk with Jade's father. Accidentally, David rages over the situation and kills him. The bonds of Love can't be severed, and jail stilll won't keep the two lovebirds apart.

I love moving title song; Lionel Ritchie and superstar Diana Ross warm your heart with their beautiful melody.
This is a true "hanky " film.
April 17, 2007
A classic film about love that won't die. A romance that goes great gets obsessive and later on things go out of control. Brook Shields is at her best in this film.
September 30, 2006
It's so bad! I kind of wanted to hurl myself out the window becuase it's just so over the top.Yet, it's strangely compelling, as compelling as an obsesssive, creepy, angst ridden teenager can be.
The theme song is fantasticly sappy however. Got to love that.
July 20, 2006
I didn't really understand the characters in this movie. Maybe it wasn't acted well enough to portray the all-consuming passion that overtakes them. Read the novel many years later, and they still didn't click. (A much better Scott Spencer story is A Ship Made of Paper. Don't believe it's been filmed, tho.)
December 30, 2014
Endless Love (1981) Movie Review!

By god...what a disgusting and disturbing movie.

The premise is thus: A young (17 year old) boy and a girl (15 year old) are committed in a relationship and just go about it, pretty much. That would sound good in ink and paper, oh wait, it did. The book was better received then both of the movie adaptations that it has received.

The acting is below average, the story-line is deluded and the pretentious idea of what it stands for is insulting. Never in my life have I seen a sex-depraved psychopath more than this guy.

It does the book an injustice, and as a stand-alone movie, it sucks. It just sucks. I hated this movie. I hated watching every minute of this movie. Save your breath and watch an actual romantic movie.

1 out of 10. (.5 stars)
November 23, 2014
The half star is for James Spader. He's the only actor who seems to give a crap.
September 15, 2014
It's a tale as old as time; young love, disapproving parents and generational discord. These timeless themes are given a psychotic twist in "Endless Love", a messy but nevertheless enjoyable film that is not nearly as romantic as it thinks it is.

In the beginning, the relationship between creepy Martin Hewitt and the radiant Brooke Shields is kind of sweet, as the two-year age difference isn't as scandalous as the screenwriter would like us to believe. The second half of the film turns darker and it becomes a lot of fun to watch but for all the wrong reasons.

All of the credibility goes right out the window and any sympathy you had for the Hewitt character goes right along with it, as his endless love disintegrates into obsession. There's a jarring shift in tone as the story picks up after Hewitt has been found guilty or arson and includes several ludicrous moments including an attempted seduction scene involving Shield's on-screen mother. It's all campy fun indeed, but surely not the tone director Franco Zifferelli wanted for his very serious love story.

The Oscar nominated title song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross is clearly the best thing in the picture , but Zifferelli has a habit of using it at the most inopportune times such as when Hewitt is lighting Shield's house on fire or holding her down against her will. Like much of the film, it's laughable.

"Endless Love" was quite controversial upon its initial release, but a lot of people won't understand why. This alleged romance will do little to lift your spirits. It may have worked better as a thriller.
July 1, 2014
As the title promises, it is endless. Unfortunately, it lacks "love".