Ernest Goes to Camp Reviews

bug761
February 18, 2011
I don't care if the critics like this or not. Jim Varney was(and still is) one of my favorite actors of all time. He was truly gifted and a multi-faceted actor. How could anyone not fall for that lovable, yet zany 'Ernest'? 'Ernest Goes to Camp' is just one of the many movies I love starring Jim Varney. It's not hard to peel back a thin layer and find the good moral content of this show. As with all 'Ernest' movies, there's always a positive outlook and message that he sends. I never get tired of watching these movies over and over again. Ernest sings "Gee, I'm Glad it's Rainin'", and it's so heartbreakingly beautiful and he sings it with such emotion. The song, "Brave Hearts" fits this movie and Ernest to T. The lyrics are uplifting. Hollywood is too saturated and concerned with making movies that are filled with bad language, sex and violence. It's too bad they don't make movies like this anymore. I love Jim 'Ernest P. Worrell' Varney's movies because they were void of filth and vulgarity. It's good, honest, clean fun. He always gave people the benefit of the doubt, stuck by those who would ridicule him and was just a humble, sweetheart of a guy. Even his commercials are entertaining and I'm one of those people who usually hate commercials. And you'd have to be made of stone not to be drawn in by such a powerful and magnetic smile. R.I.P. James Albert Varney Jr. You were one of the good ones. It's a shame that some people fail to see that.
November 26, 2006
Ernest P. Worrell: You see these hands? Huh? Huh? You see them? If I put them in my pockets I will be arrested for concealing lethal weapons.
½ September 29, 2009
As a child I loved this film very much. I'm giving it a good rating for prosperity!
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
It was one of the better. That's not saying much.
October 5, 2007
Funny stuff. I liked Ernest and I thought this was pretty good as a kid. This was the best of the Ernest movies by far. Pretty good for a character who originated on local tv car dealership commercials.
July 7, 2007
Ernest's first movie, which started Jim Varney's movie career! He's got a yokel hickish charm; and all I remember about this movie is little turtles with parachutes.
½ July 8, 2014
When Ernest Goes to Camp hilarity ensues, knowhutImean? Jim Varney brings his trademark character to the big screen in this fun, wacky adventure. After putting his time in as a maintenance man at Kamp Kikakee Ernest P. Worrell gets a shot at being a camp counselor for a group of juvenile delinquents that no one else wants. The story's pretty formulaic and cliched, yet this kind of works as it gives a sense of familiarity and lets the audience know what to expect. And, Varney's charming and charismatic performance adds a lot of heart to the film. Ernest Goes to Camp is full of laughs, but some of the comedy is overly silly and juvenile.
February 14, 2006
It's an "Ernest" movie starring Jim Varney.
October 1, 2013
It's dumb but watchable. I enjoyed it as a kid and didn't hate it as a grownup. I would recommend it for younger kids as harmless fun.
½ December 27, 2011
Ernest Goes to Camp is one of many camp movies from the 80s. It isn't a bad one. It is rather average really, but the mere presence of Jim Varney as the ever lovable Ernest makes it worthwhile. Certainly not the best or my favorite of the Ernest comedies, but it is the first feature film to star the character, so it has to be worth something.
February 15, 2011
Not Jim Varney's best Ernest P. Worrell movie but still good for a laugh as always.The better Ernest movies were after this 1.I loved Ernest Goes to Camp when I was little but not so much anymore
½ May 18, 2010
The first Ernest movie, good for a chuckle I suppose, but if I was in the mood for a camp comedy, I'd probably watch Meatballs.
½ January 11, 2010
Truly the best of all the Ernest films. This one is a classic. If you like funny movies from the '80's with a lot of silliness and physical gags then this is your film. It may not be an "Academy" film but it is still a winner in my book.
½ November 17, 2009
Varney was and always be in my childhood memories... this one wasn't as good as Ernest Scared Stupid, but it has its moments
½ March 19, 2009
I LOVED this movie when I was like 10...I have no idea what I would think of it now. But it looks retarded by the cover.
½ February 23, 2009
I love ernest hes so goofy n silly n funny in his own nerdy special way. He just tries to hard to please all.
½ July 23, 2008
i have a home video of me and my sis dancing to the song at the end of this movie as the credits roll when i was in 5th grade. lol!!
½ June 17, 2008
I was upset with this one. It seemed like a tuesday morning made for TV movie. The music sounded like something off a "download crappy computerized music for free" webpage. I mean don't get me wrong, Jim Varney was still the same old Ernest, but the rest of the movie was not good.
½ June 11, 2008
Not as funny as some of his other movies, but this was pretty good and it still did a good job of keeping me laughing! All of this movies are extremelly corny, but thats one of the reason why I love them.
½ March 21, 2008
I feel kind of sorry about what Ernest went through. This I think is the best of all the Ernest movies.