64% Hercules Jul 25

Ernest Goes to Jail Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 1, 2012
I've never been a fan of Jim Varney, and I find his character Ernest P. Worrell to be very irritating. This was the first film that I saw with his character. This is poorly executed comedy and it just doesn't have anything good to make you laugh. I really thought that the film was bad because it lacked anything really interesting from aco0medic point of view. These films just aren't funny and are more irritating than anything. Varney never really made anything good aside from the Toy Story films. His Ernest character is one of the worst things in the genre, and it doesn't make you laugh. Ernest Goes to Jail just doesn't have any memorable laughs going for it and it just relies on stupid humor that doesn't work. This is one of those films that isn't worth seeing, and the comedic material is poorly constructed and it delivers an awful viewing experience that just isn't worth your time. Jim Varney has never made anything really good, and he's one of those actors that is more irritating than funny. I think this is a shame because maybe, just maybe this film would have been worth it if the character would actually be funny and that the film had a good plot with good jokes. However it doesn't have any of those things, and it's an awful comedy that isn't worth your time. Watch something different, you'll be glad you did, Ernest Goes to Jail is a poorly constructed comedy and the results show on-screen.
Lucas M

June 15, 2012
Dumb, unfunny and poor made, Ernest Goes to Jail it's a terrible experience to watch with bad acting. Jim Varney, sometimes in his carrer show to be a nice actor, sadly, Varney seldom make a good movie, Ernest franchise it's a prove of this. Always classified as a family picture, the movies by the character of TV commercials, looks that was written by a sadist screenwriter with a great love for torture the goofy P. Worrall, and the audience, in scenes that doesn't look like a kids film. Unfortunately, both, Ernest and Felix Nash, Worrall look-alike, doesn't die in the end (with that will be the last picture). Problem: It's even had a end. The writer was so upset with his work that finish the script without a end. Awful and disturbing.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 1, 2008
The question isn't why did I watch this film, but instead why did I watch THE ENTIRE THING START TO FINISH? Not funny. Not even stupid funny, though Jim Varney was a terribly underrated actor in his lifetime.
Aaron N

December 2, 2006
Felix Nash: Is everyone who works here a moron?
bug761
bug761

February 18, 2011
Such an awesome movie by the late great Jim Varney. Nobody gets electrocuted like Varney. I got a kick out of Felix Nash. Varney did an excellent job playing a bad guy and he was quite sexy in my opinion. Auntie Nelda, played by Varney, is always a hoot. Even though she always seems somewhat bitter about her bad son, she makes me laugh everytime. Jim did such a wonderful job voicing other characters during a prison cell scene when Lyle is helping him turn into Mr. Nash. Varney was the master of disguise with so many different voices. Even though Mr. Nash and Ernest had on the same outfit, they hardly looked anything alike. That goes to show you how versatile an actor Jim Varney was. I love these types of movies. They are good, clean fun. It's a good thing I have these movies on DVD because the VHS's wouldn't been worn out by now. Jim Varney, you are a legend. R.I.P.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
Good for an Ernest movie.
Lafe F

August 2, 2007
Goofy country boy Ernest gets framed and put in jail. I liked the funny courtroom scene. I thought the prison settings were silly and low-budget. Nothing really bad happens to Ernest behind bars, so don't worry kids!
James A

March 21, 2006
If a film can be likened to poetry, this is surely one.
-J. Peters
Dann M

July 12, 2014
The comedic adventures of Ernest P. Worrell continue as Ernest Goes to Jail. When Ernest pulls jury duty a convict named Nash manages to switch places with him and leaves Ernest in prison on death row. Jim Varney pulls double duty as both Ernest and Nash, showing some impressive ranch as an actor. And there are some good supporting performances by Barbara Bush, Charles Napier, and Gailard Sartain. The comedy is also fairly well-written, with plenty of cornball antics and slapstick gags. Ernest Goes to Jail is another solid installment in the franchise, and delivers plenty of laughs.
Juan C

September 2, 2011
to be honest, i thought this film was funny, innocent, and even lots of fun to watch. but it's way to wacky and dumb, but that what works, it's slapstick humor is what makes me like this movie and even give lots of credit to it's lead actor. B+
Curt C

February 14, 2006
It's an "Ernest" movie starring Jim Varney.
Brody M

February 15, 2011
Awesome just to see Jim Varney as Ernest P. Worrell but also Evil Ernest.I remember hating this movie when I was little for some reason but now after watching it today, I can't understand why.The jury scene where Ernest bites into the pen made me laugh when I was little & still does today.1 thing I always wondered is why Chuck and Bobby never got their own movie or TV show.They were great together & so funny!
brandankurtis
January 4, 2011
Ernest Goes To Jail is the 3rd installment in the popular series, and in my humble opinion, the best. Jim Varney brings so much humor and character to the table in whatever he is in. So many jokes in the Ernest movies I did not get as a child, however, after viewing them as adults, I find them even more funny. Ernest was actually quoting Shakespeare and his arrogant soliloquies were classic. Varney shines in this movie:doing all the different voices, faces, and characters we have grown to love. What I really like about this film is his portrayal of Mr. Nash,the villain. Jim Varney does a complete 180 turn from his bumbling, idiotic Ernest P. Worrell. The look, the voice, and the attitude are very different from the other character, which is a what a good actor should do if playing 2 roles. Varney pulls them both off remarkably well. Also Chuck and Bobby provide great slapstick humor as always, and this film is a comedy classic that can be viewed by all ages. Jim Varney left this old world way too fast, but he also left us comic treasures in film such as this movie. "Ernest Goes To Jail" is probably the BEST "Ernest" film ever made out of all of the films. Jim Varney once again gives us more laughs as he plays the idiotic Ernest P. Worrel. In the movie Ernest is assigned jury duty for a murder trial. Nash (who wants out of prison badly) the man who is on trial looks exactly like Ernest, and switches places with Ernest to escape from prison. So in the process, our rubber faced nit wit gets to spend some time in the slammer. Jim Varney once again does an excellent job as the bumbling fool Ernest P. Worrell as well as escaped criminal look a like Nash. I thought it was cool how Varney switched continuosly throughout the movie with the 2 characters. Overall this movie rules!!
M9z8759483
February 27, 2010
a funny film rest in peace jm varney you were hilarious playing ernesy P. worrell ernest was and always will be the funniest charracter of the 80's next to pee wee herman aka paul reubens jim varney was always funny playing ernest with his funny voice even though it had sounded like a smokers voice he was still a funny character John R. cherry III had made a great directory of the ernest films Jim varney also did a great job playing ernest in the ernest and playing slinky the toy dog in toy story 1 and toy story II ernest is a funny likeable character and shall Jim varney Rest in peace
Ken D

November 25, 2009
Even though I am a fan of Ernest, especially his commercials, but I don't think it has translated too well to movies except for one and we all know which one I'm referring to. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments, but otherwise this was a borefest that is more for kids than it is for adults. Several recognizable faces, but the cast was just as good as Varney was in this movie. Easy to watch with kids, but otherwise this is something to stay away from.
walftone
May 1, 2009
What an amazing actor Jim Varney was! He plays several roles in this movie and is great in all of them.
February 14, 2009
I think one of Jim Varney best movies. His looney character is such a good laugh for anyone. Although he does get switched with a murder because of his looks that make it almost imposible to recognize. But those closest to him soon start to see through this switch. The cops in the bank are just to much for a good laugh. check it out
Rottengirl23
June 17, 2008
I love the Ernest movies. I own most of them. One of my favorite characters is Bobby the security guard.
June 17, 2008
Probably my favorite out of all the Ernest movies. I just really love the ELECTRO MAN part that was really cool. It gave Ernest an edge. The story was humorous and the of course Jim Varney was great. The cast was also great and there was a lot of interesting people.
June 11, 2008
I love Ernest! This movie was fun all the way through and it kept me laughing which was good! This has to be one of my favoreite movies of him and I thought Jim Varney did a great job playing two different characters that were nothing alike