18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Essex Boys Reviews

familiar s

April 13, 2012
Just bumped onto it, and couldn't simply miss it after knowing it's based on real events. Just can't help it. But it turned out to be an alright TP. While the story was okay, it's the acting that crushes the film. All the actors seemed to be on their worst. Sean Bean is an utter disaster. Charlie Creed-Miles excelled him by & large, but as the movie approached towards its culmination, even he's out in the competition of sucking. Fair fare.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
Below average British gangster film and that's me being kind! Charlie Creed-miles is good, Sean Bean is crap and Alex Kingston's tits are average. Why get a guy from Sheffield to play an Essex boy? Shame there wasn't more room in that Land Rover for the rest of the cast!
Lady D

March 22, 2007
This fictional story based on the sequence of a true event, shows a glimpse in the British criminal underworld.

With a psychotic performance from Sean Bean and a sinester role for Tom Wilkinson, Essex Boys is a great film of it's genre with a nice twist.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 11, 2010
This film is a British gangster thriller that carries an added edge of realism with the police?s discovery of a Range Rover in an Essex wood containing three dead bodies riddled with gunshot wounds. Sean Bean plays the gangster and is convincing as the psychopathic Jason Locke combining ruthless violence with a preening narcissistic streak and Charlie Creed-Miles is the trainee chauffeur, Billy who works for the just-released con and his greedy backstabbing buddies. He is the innocent pawn that is unwittingly pulled into a situation above his head. Alex Kingston brilliantly portrays Jason?s vengeful wife, Lisa and as we learn later on, she is a woman not to be scorned and screws them all literally as well as figuratively with double crosses galore. The film is gutsy, violent, has nasty paybacks and a dark mood to it but I think it?s worth a view.
Remi L

May 24, 2009
I was hoping for something similar to The Take but just ended up with this gritty, mean, (true) story about the murder of three British gangsters who, if this fictional retelling is to be believed, had it coming. Seriously, its impossible to sympathize with 98% of the characters in this film! And whenever someone gets double-crossed, I just shrugged. Not only was it predictable, it was fitting. This film was all right, but I would've liked to see "Neddard Stark" in a better light =D
DrLappos
DrLappos

February 14, 2008
Aactually based on a true story but its true...well over the top.
FilmGrinder S.
September 18, 2012
92%

Falls just short of being an epic gangster film.
February 11, 2012
I do have to say that this is the film that started the series of different angles to the 'Rettendon Murders'. In my opinion, this is the first you should watch followed by 'Rise of the Foot Soldier'. Obviously a class act from Sean Bean as well as some other known faces from the English acting schools that embrace us with the likes of Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer etc. Overall though, it does make you think what is going on in these underworlds and wether or not it still goes on. Anyway, a rating out of 10 on this would have to be a generous 8. Not quite 'Snatch' or 'Lock Stock' but you have to remember that this is based on a true story and the thought of putting the kettle on half way through is a definitely a 'No No'. More like a few beers, kebab menu and even the Mrs may enjoy this knowing it is a true story! Watch it!
February 5, 2012
Close to great British gangster flick. Give it a look.
Madmartigan
August 1, 2011
I give it a 5 out of 10 (granted I make movies work a bit harder for a good score than the average RTer)

The most remarkable part of the movie is Sean Bean's performance (even though you partially hate him). When he's not on screen, the movie feels like it's lacking and there's a bit too much of that.
Chutes.
April 17, 2010
F*ck that 17%. Watch this movie for yourselves!
Dirty Potatoes
August 4, 2009
Shame they didn't stick to the real life story told in the book of the same name as it's would have been a more interesting story than this cock and bull story about London gangsters. Long winded and just didn't seem to go anywhere, seem to get lost and didn't know how get to back on track.
tom_jay
July 28, 2008
The movie has a good sense of characters and is easy to watch. Sean Bean plays Jason Locke, an acid soaking thug looking to get involved in the South End club security scene. Good story and a great twist at the end. The movie should have been called 'Essex Girls'
cone0107
March 11, 2008
[center]:fresh: [/center]
[center]I loved this movie. Sometimes you can't [/center]
[center]understand what they are saying, but you [/center]
[center]get the idea. I hated when Locke cheated.[/center]