Essex Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Essex Boys Reviews

April 13, 2012
Just bumped onto it, and couldn't simply miss it after knowing it's based on real events. Just can't help it. But it turned out to be an alright TP. While the story was okay, it's the acting that crushes the film. All the actors seemed to be on their worst. Sean Bean is an utter disaster. Charlie Creed-Miles excelled him by & large, but as the movie approached towards its culmination, even he's out in the competition of sucking. Fair fare.
March 22, 2007
This fictional story based on the sequence of a true event, shows a glimpse in the British criminal underworld.

With a psychotic performance from Sean Bean and a sinester role for Tom Wilkinson, Essex Boys is a great film of it's genre with a nice twist.
xxdebxx
February 11, 2010
This film is a British gangster thriller that carries an added edge of realism with the police?s discovery of a Range Rover in an Essex wood containing three dead bodies riddled with gunshot wounds. Sean Bean plays the gangster and is convincing as the psychopathic Jason Locke combining ruthless violence with a preening narcissistic streak and Charlie Creed-Miles is the trainee chauffeur, Billy who works for the just-released con and his greedy backstabbing buddies. He is the innocent pawn that is unwittingly pulled into a situation above his head. Alex Kingston brilliantly portrays Jason?s vengeful wife, Lisa and as we learn later on, she is a woman not to be scorned and screws them all literally as well as figuratively with double crosses galore. The film is gutsy, violent, has nasty paybacks and a dark mood to it but I think it?s worth a view.
May 24, 2009
I was hoping for something similar to The Take but just ended up with this gritty, mean, (true) story about the murder of three British gangsters who, if this fictional retelling is to be believed, had it coming. Seriously, its impossible to sympathize with 98% of the characters in this film! And whenever someone gets double-crossed, I just shrugged. Not only was it predictable, it was fitting. This film was all right, but I would've liked to see "Neddard Stark" in a better light =D
DrLappos
½ February 14, 2008
Aactually based on a true story but its true...well over the top.
August 1, 2011
The most remarkable part of the movie is Sean Bean's performance (even though you partially hate him). When he's not on screen, the movie feels like it's lacking and there's a bit too much of that.
June 19, 2011
I rented this simply because of Alex Kingston (she does a fantastic job in this by the way). Though I was not familiar with the incident this is based on, the film had just enough action to keep my interest. Much of the movie is "talking heads" so the plot moves along fairly slowly. While I can't recommend this for everyone, if you like crime/drug lord kind of stuff, this may be right up your alley.
March 11, 2008
[center]:fresh: [/center]
[center]I loved this movie. Sometimes you can't [/center]
[center]understand what they are saying, but you [/center]
[center]get the idea. I hated when Locke cheated.[/center]
December 9, 2015
Prefer "Rise of the Footsoldier" with this being a lot more fictionalized but still a good movie
August 1, 2011
½ May 22, 2011
great actors, wasn't as action pacted as i thought it would be, the ending had a great twist though.
May 13, 2013
Based on a true story, this is one of 4 films about the murder of 3 drug dealers in England. Although it stars Sean Bean, one of my favorite actors, I didn't much care for it.
½ March 23, 2013
Another film based on the killing of three thugs in Essex. A different 3 to Rise of the footsoilder (answers on a postcard please). Where that film had Carlton Leach and football this had Sean Bean and Billy the Whizz. Both films have something going for them, which is something more than Bonded by Blood - one more film to go based on these events, The Fall of the Essex Boys (which based on the name could be a mash up of the 2 'good' films.....
½ September 18, 2012
92%

Falls just short of being an epic gangster film.
½ July 25, 2012
A real stinker, boring and has the worst acting from Sean Bean ever!
½ April 25, 2012
Ehhh...Kinda Slow...I Fell Asleep Watching It...OK Movie All In All
April 13, 2012
May 9, 2011
a solid british gangster movie, 'inspired' by true events, the rettendon range rover murders, as is 'rise of the footsoldier' and 'bonded by blood' 2 much better movies, but this movie while staying quite close to how the actual murder came to be, does it's own thing, and is quite a bit of fiction, but it remains an enjoyabe gritty, voilent, and thrilling movie, and is definatly recommended, jus dont expect to see the definative version of events, but as a stand alone british thriller, essex boys delivers.
February 11, 2012
I do have to say that this is the film that started the series of different angles to the 'Rettendon Murders'. In my opinion, this is the first you should watch followed by 'Rise of the Foot Soldier'. Obviously a class act from Sean Bean as well as some other known faces from the English acting schools that embrace us with the likes of Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer etc. Overall though, it does make you think what is going on in these underworlds and wether or not it still goes on. Anyway, a rating out of 10 on this would have to be a generous 8. Not quite 'Snatch' or 'Lock Stock' but you have to remember that this is based on a true story and the thought of putting the kettle on half way through is a definitely a 'No No'. More like a few beers, kebab menu and even the Mrs may enjoy this knowing it is a true story! Watch it!
½ February 5, 2012
Close to great British gangster flick. Give it a look.