Everest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everest Reviews

January 16, 2013
These filmmakers followed a very dramatic and interesting expedition, but the documentary felt melodramatic with its repeated surges of sentimental music and and awkward voice-overs. It also felt a little superficial in its history and description of Everest climbing; I wish they had delved deeper.
March 25, 2012
I was really into this movie (even through the boring, lackluster narrative from the hiker, Ed Viesturs) until you get to the end and it tells you that many of the scenes were reenacted in Utah, Colorado, New Hampshire and California. REALLY?? Don't call this Everest, if it's not! Obviously some of this stuff was filmed there and it had to have been a pain to take this huge IMAX camera up Everest, but seriously... I felt like I had been lied to. No wonder they had all the snap shots on top of the mountain, they never got the film camera up there. It lost a half star for the false advertising. It was still visually cool to watch though.
½ August 6, 2011
"Everest" provides insight into the dangers of mountain climbing, especially in the context of the 1996 tragedy on the mountain. The shots of Everest are wonderful and I was surprised by the fantastic musical score, including an unexpectedly awesome orchestration of "Here Comes the Sun." However, from an informational standpoint I feel as if this documentary does not dig deep enough into the expedition of these climbers. It feels as if the writers said "Let's just give them enough surface information to have an excuse to show these incredible IMAX shots." It's good, but not my favorite documentary.
½ April 15, 2011
Easily the best IMAX movie ever made. Incredible visuals, a terrific true story, and some great narration from Liam Neeson all make this film worth seeing. Very highly recommended.
May 9, 2010
(from The Watermark, 08/20/98)
The award-winning film that accompanies an expedition to climb the dangerous and sometimes deadly heights of Mt. Everest. A compelling documentary drama about a winning journey -- don't miss it.
July 20, 2007
Wind chill hundred degrees below zero. Only a portion of the Oxygen available at sea level, and not enough to sustain nervous and digestive functions. I don't think I am cut out to conquer this mountain.
September 13, 2006
A really well done IMAX film with a story that's incredible. The fact that the film makers were there during the events of Into Thin Air.
February 4, 2016
Pretty good doc about Everest.
May 14, 2015
This was a very fine well made doc that will truly take your breath away.
January 2, 2015
Great story and beautiful photography, but the way the doc was made is too old fashioned for me...
October 4, 2014
Calling this a movie is a bit of a stretch... It is an interesting documentary, although it's short and rather dated. Provides a little bit more insight into the '96 tragedy, but it fails to convey just how miserable the conditions are up there...
½ March 4, 2014
Not quite the same on the small screen, but still bloody amazing.

Stunning on IMAX. Couldn't recommend it more on this format.
September 2, 2013
Breathtakingly inept, atrociously scored, pathetically photographed and in some parts, obviously staged. Hindsight is 20/20, and looking back at 1998 and documentaries since then, "Everest" is a complete joke.
January 16, 2013
December 17, 2012
While there is a nice story told, it is void of much more than just basic interviews that you would expect to see as a segment on PBS, not as something made to highlight the visuals of the mountain and climb.
½ March 4, 2012
A decent film documentary about the dangerous of climbing Everest. The only problem comes from how little the Tragedy that took place during the filming was mentioned.
August 2, 2012
Saw it in IMAX when I was a kid and it is almost just as spectacular when I saw it on DVD a few years later.
March 25, 2012
February 13, 2012
Saw this in an IMAX theater after reading Into Thin Air. A lot of the magnitude of the film is lost watching this on DVD vs an IMAX theater, but a solid documentary nonetheless.