Evidence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evidence Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
October 5, 2013
Lacks style and eleagance and being short of any real character development is a movie disaster but watchable unlike most crap I watch!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 16, 2013
Evidence is yet another found footage style horror tale mixed with detective crime elements to try and create something refreshing in a genre that has overstayed its welcome. This is a pretty good film that manages to be quite entertaining, but is never anything great due to the fact that it relies on a clichéd formula. Still compared to other found footage films, Evidence does manage to be worth seeing; just don't expect anything great either. Evidence may not be anything groundbreaking, but it is better than most horror films that I have seen this year. There are a few good performances, but there is never anyone that steals the show to really make it a standout feature. This movie had so much potential in a being a far better movie than what it turned out to be, but at times it suffers from a lacking script. As it is, it is a good film, but it's similar to many genre films. Evidence had an interesting premise for a horror film, but most of the time it ends up being an average movie that just never reaches its full potential. This is worth seeing, but isn't a film that will reinvent the found footage genre. Give it a shot, you may enjoy it despite its flaws, and the premise is quite interesting, but like I stated previously, should have been much better than what was presented on-screen. Evidence is interesting from start to finish, but suffers from the stagnant formula of the found footage genre. The genre is overdone, and films like this, though good, never break new ground and are just like every other movie that we've seen before.
½ December 26, 2013
In the desert of Nevada, police uncover one of the most brutal crime scenes they've ever seen. There are a ton of bodies that are so badly mutilated, that they can't even tell if their victims are male or female. There is also an overwhelming lack of evidence, that is except for one small mini-cam found amongst the ruble. Evidence was one of those films that wasn't great, but wasn't terrible either. There is enough going on that you will keep watching it and you will be glad you did! Watching as many movies as I do, I tend to figure things out pretty quickly, and I was sure I had this film figured out early on. As I got to the end of the film, I was sure I knew what happened, and I was somewhat disappointed at the predictable story. Then, the writers throw a huge twist into the plot that you will never see coming and it really makes the whole film. Evidence quickly becomes one of those films that will keep you thinking about it long after the credits role, and too me, that is the best kind of movie. No one of name really stars in this film and there really aren't any stand out performances, it's just one of those movies that stands on a strong story. I usually hate these cheaply made, found footage films. The plots are lazy and they rely on cheap scares and effects to make people jump, but Evidence wasn't like that. The film starts off really slowly, but gets better and better leading up to an ending that no one will ever see coming. If you like a good mystery with that amazing twist in the end, Evidence will delivery exactly what you're looking for.
DrStrangeblog
November 14, 2015
Outside of an arresting freeze frame opening shot sweeping across a crime scene, Evidence is a total failure. If you believe watching stars Radha Mitchell and/or Stephen Moyer will at least make it bearable, be forewarned that they are onscreen 30% of the time, and 80% of that time is spent staring into space at the found video footage that makes up the main story. There's little more dull and less cinematic than watching someone watch something else.

The unfolding of those events in extremely shaky visibility are filled with logistical impossibilities and other nonsense, including a horrific bus crash that results in one superficial wound across the 6 passengers. That the perps would take such huge personal risks in staging the crash is completely absurd. Believe the Tomato with this one.
½ September 13, 2015
I realized that the reviews for this are terrible, but I actually ended up liking this film. I enjoyed the found-footage aspect, as well as the frame narrative. This film has its problems, but all in all, I liked it.
½ May 5, 2015
An interesting variant on the popular "found footage" genre. A lot of it is familiar crazy killer stuff but the approach to telling the story is different and the final big twist is is delivered very effectively.
June 9, 2014
Two movies in one; neither one very good.

---------------------------------
The film opens to an overview of a crime scene. The visuals are impressive, in a way; that is, a lot of effort was taken to produce an amateurish result. In this director's approach, good visuals have to be accompanied by plodding boredom, while shaky cam, cell phone footage, and pixelated, blurred images are where the action and interest should be kept.

We segue to a police department, where the evidence has been collected and sorted to a degree. The personnel to evaluate the evidence gets picked.

The investigatory group consists of Detectives Reese and Burquez, Officer Jensen, and AV specialist Gabe Wright. They set about analysing the 'found film' from Rachel's camera, plus the visuals recorded by cell phones, plus the overviews from the beginning of the film. Close consideration yields some clues for the Detectives to pursue.

Amateur director Rachel likes to film 'incredibly uncomfortable things.' Indeed. Leanne is in a troubled relationship with Tyler Norris, who is a mediocre singer and less than good guitar player. Rachel decides to film Leanne 'before she was a big star.' We also have the badness of hand-held cameras. This includes horrible framing, rotten sound leveling, extraneous sounds, and large time gaps.

Rachel, Leanne, Tyler, Vicki, and a young entertainer are scheduled to take a trip to Las Vegas. Though not on the passenger manifest, Katrina gets on the tour bus as well. She has a huge amount of cash on her, and might be a fugitive. When Tyler and Rachel notice that they are on a side road, Rachel goes to talk to the driver. Things go decidedly bad after that, including the bus crashing.

The film progresses to the retelling of the deaths and the unveiling of the perpetrators. How does that play out?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 4/10 Shaky camera work. Stupid framing angles. Dropped frames, severe pixelation. Insufficient light, heat-damaged memory chips

Sound: 4/10 Speech is mostly comprehensible, but there is plenty of raw microphone noise, such as when cell phones are dragged on the floor while recording.

Acting: 2/10 Stephen Moyer had a couple of good moments in this film; Harry Lennix is his usual reliable self.

Screenplay: 0/10 After watching this, I will avoid properties directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, or written by John Swetman. For a better film about lesbian criminals, see Breaking the Girls (2013), Monster (2003), or Bound (1996). The 'twist' at the end is cliche, done before and done better.
May 25, 2014
It had potential on being decent but in the end it fell way short. predictable on what was going on since that was all they talked about doing. I looked at Vampire Bill...err...sorry Moyer and felt he wasn't feeling this movie at all. granted he was suppose to be going through something during the film but I just didn't care about him or any of the characters. not worth the hour and a half it tried to give you to be entertaining.
October 18, 2013
A rather uninspired blend of found footage horror with a kind of C.S.I. frame story, Evidence never feels like the characters really believe what is happening, so the audience never does either.
September 1, 2013
Very good! As soon as you think you've figured it out; you haven't...so many twists and turns. I love the ending! Definitely would recommend.
½ August 24, 2013
interesting at first, then it got boring but the crazy twist in the end that I'm sure no one expected.
½ August 3, 2013
Ridiculous - and the 'twist' was given away within the first 20 minutes with the words 'I can fix anything with editing.' Why are directors so hell bent on giving away their twist endings?
July 15, 2013
It started with a very cool stop motion-like crime scene were everything was freezed and like in 3D, and it gave it a less low budget style and more mainstream feel. However, some of the visual effects and make-up effects of the bodies and cut off arm, looked very fake and unpolished. The story picked up very quickly with the police investigating right away and showing the found footage evidence. It was tiring watching yet again another shaky camera focusing on everything without any good reason. And the actors weren't that good, although they had the potential. Most of the victims weren't played very well, and when killed, didn't felt like a huge loss. Mostly because there wasn't nothing to really care for them because they were strangers misplaced on this messy killing spree. The shaky camera, even though it gave me a few scares, it was misused in so many ways. Always using bad angles or positions and interrupting the plot by not being very clear about what was really happening. Still, the ending took me by surprise, and even though it was kind of obvious who the killer was it still felt out of the box and unexpected. For sure, it was the best thing about the movie. Overall, it had some well know actors staring (Stephen Moyer & Radha Mitchell) that weren't used to their full potential, and a kind of interesting plot. That even though tried to play as a horror movie, it ended up being more of a Mystery/Thriller. The acting wasn't the best, but a very good ending with an unexpected plot twist was enough to make the movie watchable.
½ June 20, 2013
I liked how the found footage was used as an element in this, and did not tell the story completely. The ending was amazing and unexpected. A movie worth watching.
½ February 20, 2016
The freezing frame at the opening really looks like something... until realizing the whole film was just totally shit.
½ February 8, 2016
He visto películas malas y esta!!!!
DrStrangeblog
November 14, 2015

½ September 13, 2015
½ September 1, 2015
This is a terrible horror movie. It's like they take a shitty found footage horror film and they add a team of detectives watching the video after the fact in order in order to find out who's the culprit and then, somehow, that's supposed to make the film more interesting than it actually is. News flash: it doesn't. It's one of those movies that mumbles, fumbles and stumbles its way until the last act, where they do the flashback reveal of what actually was going on. Or as I like to call it: the Saw ending. If memory serves me correctly, and I've seen every Saw film, I think they did this type of ending in every installment of the franchise. They do the flashbacks and reveal all the details and solve the mystery that, hopefully, invested you in the film's story. This is that type of film. There's one little problem though, this movie is not even interesting or that good to begin with. Despite being a 'slasher' at heart, there's a surprisingly lack of gore in the film. I mean that in the sense that there's implied blood and guts, but you rarely ever see any of it. Like they were too squeamish for their own good. It's not like if the entire film had explicitly shown blood and guts that it would've honestly improved by much, but there would've at least been something that might have been good. The non-found footage scenes with the detectives are pretty terrible and are incredibly poorly shot. The acting is practically nonexistent. There's some good actors here, but you wouldn't know it by how the film was cut together. They just don't the actors and actresses in this film any favors. The way the film is paced is also a problem, it's almost like it's sabotaging itself with how the film is paced. I'm honestly really struggling to come up with any redeeming qualities this film may have had. The found footage style was absolutely dreadful in this goddamn film. Might actually be some of the worst usage of this method that I've ever seen. The glitches themselves are a part of the narrative, and this might actually be one of the only legitimately clever things the film really does, but the fact that it plays a role in the story doesn't make it any less insufferable to watch. If 'shitty usage of found footage' was a phrase in the dictionary, and why the fuck wouldn't it be, this would be the picture next to the definition. Honestly, I can't say it enough. If ever there was ammunition for the 'found footage sucks' people, it'd be this film. It's just terrible. The reveal of who the villain(s) were was also pretty good in that they actually drop hints in there, so it's not like it's entirely nonsensical. Though it does lead to the worst line of the entire film, which also ends up being the last line of the entire film. So they couldn't get that right. They couldn't even use an actually decent twist that well, at least after the fact. It's just so stupid and they, the characters delivering it, decide to deliver this line at the same time, like they were in a fucking infomercial. It was pathetic and laughable. Though more the former than the latter. Now that I think about it, I really hated this movie honestly. Reviewing it has revealed a new disdain and distaste for this movie. This was just the drizzling shits and there's no way I would ever recommend this to anyone. Not even if you're a horror super geek and you must watch any and all horror movies available to you. Awful fucking movie, just dreadful.