A Face in the Fog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Face in the Fog Reviews

May 18, 2007
When society reporter-trying-to-become-a-crimebeat-reporter Jean Monroe (Collyer) claims to have seen the face of the mysterious killer who is poisoning theatre people in the city, and that she intends to reveal his identity in a future column, she becomes his next target. Her fiance and fellow reporter Frank Gordon (Hughes) teams with criminologist and playwright Peter Fortune (Gray) to catch the killer before he claims Jean's life. But how can they catch someone who is like a phantom--particularly when Jean lied about having seen his face--and who poisons his victims in a manner so ingenious the method remains unknown to the police?

"A Face in the Fog" is a pretty bad movie, but it moves along at such a pace that the viewer hardly have time to notice. Plus, the actors perform with such charm and sincerety, that I couldn't help but like it.

Nonetheless, this is one of those one-suspect mysteries, and despite concocting a really brilliant method of committing his murders, his subsequent actions are so dumb that even Barney Fife could have caught him while in the middle of a three-day moonshine bender. The plot also doesn't make one bit of sense, nor do the reasons for who the killer chooses as his victims.

With its decent cast and a kernal of a good idea at its core, "A Face in the Fog" ends being a entertaining enough movie. I can't quite recommend you seek it out, but I also can't condemn it.)

(On a note unrelated to the movie itself, the Alpha Video DVD release of this film is another triumph for that company's art department. The composite, colorized cover image is far cooler than anything that actually appears in the movie.)

A Face in the Fog
Starring: Lloyd Hughes, June Collyer, Al St. John, and Lawrence Gray
Director: Robert Hill
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
June 3, 2007
I don't know about this movie, it could be good, but considering it was made in 1936 its probably a really lame movie...
May 30, 2007
It was made the year I was born.got to be a good one.
May 18, 2007