18% Transcendence Apr 18

Family Weekend Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

February 7, 2013
Family Weekend was a film I decided to watch because I just wanted something to watch to pass the time. But even though it's pretty cheesy it still ended up making me laugh. It has a great variety of characters which made the family in the film one of the more interesting ones I have come across. Joey King was awesome in this. Her character has a love for movies and her character kept reenacting some pretty famous roles. It was a lot of fun to see such a young talent embody them. The movie isn't something I would have originally have ever chosen to watch, but it's not one I regret seeing.
Dann M

March 31, 2014
Wacky and fun, Family Weekend is an entertaining comedy with a bit of a dark edge. In a desperate attempt to save her family a 16-year-old high school girl kidnaps her parents in order to get them to realize how dysfunctional and out-of-touch they've become. Olesya Rulin gives an excellent performance and brings a lot charisma to the film. Additionally, Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Modine give strong supporting performances. And while it's not a straight dark comedy, the humor has a quirky tone that works very well. Delivering some good laughs, Family Weekend is an enjoyable screwball comedy.
August 23, 2013
A ridiculously dysfunctional family. The daughter, a super competitive jump roper, kidnaps her family. The family is a gay weird brother, a younger brother who remembers every conversation ever had, an uptight money hungry cheating mother, and a failed artist father.

I remember a movie awhile back where a group of kids kidnap all their parents and make them spend time reflecting. This was a lot like this. Very good, though.
Dann M

March 31, 2014
February 17, 2013
It really can be a good movie, its just so damn awkward!
Estebueno
December 18, 2013
"If a family doesn't stick together, sometimes you have to use a little tape."

Family Weekend is a small indie comedy that didn't receive much attention after its limited release and I can understand why. This isn't a good film and I shouldn't have liked it as much as I did, but to be honest I did laugh during several scenes and it had one of those feel good endings that leave you with a smile on your face. The real reason why I'm giving this film a passing grade is because I really enjoyed the lead performance from Olesya Rulin and the supporting role from the young Joey King who was hilarious. This is the fourth film I've seen her in this year (the others being The Conjuring, Oz: The Great and Powerful, and White House Down) and this was her best role by far. Family Weekend is worth watching even if it's for her performance alone because she was just hysterical. I was going to describe this as a family film, but after seeing that it got an R rating I can understand why because it does take some dark turns. At first I thought this was going to be some sort of remake of House Arrest, and despite borrowing a similar premise, screenwriter Matt Turner kind of gives it its own spin. I do have to say however that some of the characters in this film are extremely unlikable (especially the mother played Kristin Chenoweth) and almost took me out of the film. Director Benjamin Epps could have used a stronger script, but overall his film had its entertaining moments despite being unbalanced and a bit overlong. Family Weekend is a formulaic comedy that does take some unpredictable and dark turns at times, and I actually ended up enjoying this.

Emily (Olesya Rulin) is an uptight 16 year old girl who is passionate about jump-roping and after winning a competition at regionals she is disappointed that no one from her family shows up. When she gets home we meet them while she confronts each one for not going to cheer her. First there is her younger sister, Lucinda (Joey King), who is obsessed with acting and is currently playing the Jodie Foster role from Taxi Driver. Then there is her artistic father, Duncan (Matthew Modine), who is working on a painting and is so self absorbed by it that he had no idea that she was competing. Her brother, Jackson (Eddie Hassell) is also trying to become an artist like his father trying to find his way. Then there is her younger brother Mickey (Robbie Tucker) who is obsessed with animals and is always citing trivial things about them. Finally we are introduced to Emily's mother, Samantha (Kristin Chenoweth), who is an uptight businesswoman. Everyone seems so disconnected from each other and self absorbed, so Emily decides that an intervention needs to take place. She drugs her parents and ties them up in their home like hostages because she feels it's the only way she can get through to them. This is where the insanity ensues as she tries to fix her dysfunctional family.

Dealing with dysfunctional families has sort of become a trend in Hollywood and it isn't unfamiliar territory. We've seen some of these characters before in other films and the film does fall into generic cliches at times. Family Weekend still remains fresh thanks to the performances from the young cast, and it also happens to have some heart. The scenery in this film is gorgeous and the house where most of the story takes place also looks really good, so this is a pretty nice film to look at. It does feel unbalanced at times and the characters are hard to like, but overall we get through some of these unbalanced moments thanks to some comedic relief coming mostly from Joey King. Some of the familiar roles she plays in this film from highly acclaimed movies were the highlight for me. Rulin was also great in this film and I will be looking forward to what she does next. She truly was a freak queen here. The film does try to explore some deep issues during some dramatic turns although only scratching the surface and then continuing to return to the classic comedic elements. I had a good time although I admit I'm on the minority here and I fully understand why.
February 18, 2013
Ok, la película no es una maravilla, se le puede calificar como mero entretenimiento pasajero, tiene algunos problemas como la duración, restarle unos minutos no hubiera sido nada malo. Como dije, es una película entretenida dominguera.
November 26, 2013
Mas o menos comica y entretenida... no mas..
September 15, 2013
I cried the whole time watching this
September 7, 2013
Fun. Afternoon movie. Dont analyze. It just watch it. The characters are great and the actors do them justice in the quirky,crazy,spiraling out of control movie. The movie is a perfect laugh out loud, intentionally unconventional film. See it, but watch it for fun.
September 2, 2013
If you came from a functional family, you wont like this. However if the family dynamics in this film looks a little familiar you'll find yourself wishing you had done this.
April 2, 2013
fresh, original, witty and entertaining from start to finish! It's not often a movie can capture so many different elements (comedic and heartfelt) - it will appeal to a wide audience
July 30, 2013
For once I disagree with the majority of the critic reviews. The second she started crying...In all my life I haven't seen crying that real in a movie. May not be the best script. But It had that great film festival realization feel and the acting was much better than expected. Cry during a comedy? I fell in love with her at that moment because i'm a kid I guess. It meant a lot to me.
April 24, 2013
Rated R for what? This seems like a Disney movie.
Sebastian O.
May 6, 2013
People always say that it's the details that determine how great something is, and the details in Family Weekend are great; but how would that work if the rest is just complete and utter --?
April 29, 2013
A delicious little movie that would appeal to MOST ages. Little kids need not apply. But teens and adults alike will be moved and want to go home and hug their family members. Superbly acted and well written, I can honestly say, I laughed, I cried, I laughed again. A movie you can watch again and again. And I know, cos I've watched it again and again.
April 29, 2013
Great film stellar cast by far one one of my favorite movies of 2013
February 6, 2013
Don't be fooled by the undeserved R rating, this is a great family affirming movie!
April 26, 2013
it's been awhile since i last lol.
October 10, 2012
This is an enjoyable film with a message! Any teenager with even a slightly dysfunctional family will enjoy it. And it might cause some parents to take a look at what their children are into, when the parents aren't really parenting or paying attention to their children. Fantastic acting by Olesya Rulin. Benjamin Epps pulled off an Indie film with the look of a big budget! Solid first full length film for him!!