Fantasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantasia Reviews

May 20, 2013
This is a pretty boring film, and not an effective vehicle for getting kids interested in classical music. There's no coherent story. It's just not interesting.
May 20, 2013
The Disney cartoon sans narrative was quite vanguard in the 40s, but for an ostensible kids movie, the filmmakers didn't play to its audience. Stravinksy's "Rite of Spring" seems longer than the Jurassic Period, and the animation of the Big Bang is surprisingly violent. The prologue explaining the movie is also bone dry and humorless.

As a more mature foray into art and music fantasy, Disney further missed its mark with careless racist and sexist references (as it often does) in Beethoven's "Pastoral Symphony" with the specifically colored horses and in "Dance of the Hours" with the offensive and alarming gender roles. In the 21st century, "Fantasia"'s dated quality really shows.
TheDudeLebowski65
April 29, 2012
This film is one of the definitive classics in Disney's catalogue, along with Disney's flagship film, Snow White, Fantasia is the best film in animation history and everyone who's familiar with Disney owes it to themselves to check this one out. Fantasia is a terrific musical that has definitely stood the test of time. This is a masterwork of animation with brilliant stories and a great cast of talented voice actors. Of all Disney films, Fantasia has had a long lasting impact on me. The sheer importance of this film in the cinematic medium is astounding. This is a brilliant film from start to finish and will stay with you for many years to come. I absolutely loved this film, thought it was one of the finest musical films ever put on film and if you want THE musical film, then this is the film to watch. Fantasia is simply brilliant. This is a definite childhood classic, a film that has stood the test of time. This is yet another memorable Disney classic that any real film buff and child should see. A brilliant piece of cinema history, Fantasia is a wonderful viewing experience, one that will please children as much as adults. A definite must see. This is a film that is spectacular and truly one that will stay with you. Disney has done it again. Sure Snow White is Disney's masterwork, but Fantasia elevated the studios potential for effective storytelling even further. This is simply put a phenomenal film that every film fan should see.
½ December 29, 2010
This classic musical animation is undeniably beautiful and well made, a splendorous treat for the eyes and ears. Even so, it is also too artistic for its own good, remaining cold and distant. Stravinsky and the evolution? Seriously, I cannot imagine any child staying awake during the entire film - nor most grown-ups.
michael e.
December 13, 2010
this movie defines what classic means in the terms of disney
December 5, 2010
This IS my childhood and my favorite film of all time. I don't recommend watching it to all people (most find it boring if they watch it for the first time when they are older), but if you have any interest in animation whatsoever than give this a shot.
September 5, 2010
Some people may find this movie to be boring because there is little to no dialogue, and it doesn't have much of a story. I love it. The music accompanies the animation in such a beautiful way, and the animation is so cool, the part with the dragon is my favourite, the part with Mickey and the broomsticks is the most memorable scene, though. If you want to relax and listen to music while watching something, this is a fantastic movie.
cosmo313
August 1, 2006
Enjoyable, intellectual, thought-provoking, and, for the stoner crowd, very trippy visuals and atmosphere. This is one ofthe coolest and most unique movies out there.
April 25, 2006
The Disney Triumphant masterpiece. Each of the eight segments are genius giving new life to the classical greats. The Sorceror's Apprentice with micky, The Nutcracker, Waltz of the flowers and so much more.
½ January 13, 2010
The most artistic Disney has ever gotten. It is visually stunning, delivering a truly bizarre series of stories that are all effective in their own way. It can be a lot more dark than a lot of the other animated movies of the time and I really applaud them for doing that.
September 11, 2009
What do you get when a very talented orchestra combines with a brilliant idea for a film? You get a Disney masterpiece of course. "Fantasia" isn't at all like the typical film from Walt Disney. A live orchestra plays several familiar music tunes throughout the two hours of running time, while at the same time, you get to watch animated cartoons that enact with the music. The orchestra has a lot of great instruments ready to play such as percussions, drums, harps, horns, and many more.
Some of the cartoons and music are just there to make up pictures like you might picture in your mind while simply listening to the music, and others tell a story while music plays in the background. For example, you'll see Mickey Mouse star in an unforgettable cartoon where Mickey serves as The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is my favorite part of "Fantasia." Another good example is when the conductor tells you to imagine what it would be like if you were in outer space looking at a desolate planet called earth. Right after he tells you that, the orchestra starts playing and then the cartoon starts out in outer space, dinosaurs eventually appear, and then from there, I'll let you find out the rest that "Fantasia" has in store.

I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of orchestras or music without the aid of singing, but I did like most of the music in "Fantasia" and the cartoons were interesting to watch. And in my opinion, the idea of combining great orchestra music with live-action cartoons was brilliant, especially for the time that this film was made. Even if you're not a huge fan of instrumental music or even cartoons, I recommend giving "Fantasia" a try....you just might be impressed. I know I was! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Actually, I was being nice that day. I like Fantasia and it's definitely a one of a kind, which I always appreciate, but it's never been one of the Disney films I thought the most of.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ May 24, 2009
Fantastic concept.
FilmFanatik
March 25, 2007
Walt Disney's second finest animated film, right behind Snow White.
November 5, 2006
My favorite Disney movie. You can just tune out and watch so next to no thought is required. Not that that's the case with most Disney movies of the era, but still. Watching it again after not seeing Fantasia in several years tells me it's not as great as I'd originally surmised, but its 40s eye candy through a medium which at the time was new and exciting. Damn great stuff regardless. I wish Disney did more of this back in the day.
puffchunk
½ October 18, 2007
Pretty great stuff. I like the flying unicorn part. Music was great and full of animation Disney wouldn't dare touch anymore.
thmtsang
March 24, 2008
Fab animation and music.
September 22, 2007
Most of the segments are astonishing and others so bad you want to scream!
July 10, 2007
It's so hard to believe that something this advanced could be put on film back in 1940. Disney's most-magical animated movie. It's a collection of animated vignettes for classical music pieces. It's a magical nighttime concert with bursting colors and images.

There's a memorable introduction to the entire orchestra, which is used as a framing device between the pieces. It's a bit dorky, but once they started playing "Tocatta & Fuge in D Minor" with the abstract shapes and colors, I was mesmerized.

"The Nutcracker Suite" with the dancing flowers was art and music perfectly combined; a joy to behold.

The "Rite of Spring"dinosaur segment was long and boring; they could've taken it out entirely and nobody would mind; I often fast-forward through this one.

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" with Mickey Mouse was classic stuff which fit the music very well.

"The Pastoral Symphony" with the prancing flying horses and centaurs, gave meaning to the "Fantasia" title. There was plenty of humour and happenings.

"Dance of the Hours" had the dancing Hippos, Elephants and Alligators, was a nice wake-me-up scene after things had gotten slow. Great animation; almost as frantic as a Looney Tunes short!

"Night on Bald Mountain" was powerful, ominous and scary; a good Disney Halloween treat! "Ave Maria", which followed, was peaceful and heavenly; but lame animation on the candle procession.

It's a long movie, and a lot to ask kids to sit through. It's a perfect remedy for those who can't sleep.
May 31, 2007
Disney must see.
½ May 27, 2007
my favorite was obviously the classic nutcracker dances. a close second would be the bach toccata. very well done early disney save the extremely boring stravinsky.