Far Harbor Reviews

December 18, 2010
Far Harbor is a little-seen Jennifer Connelly indie movie from 1996. Hell that's the only reason I watched it. It's very slow and talky, occasionally pretentious, and populated by people you wouldn't want to be at a dinner party with.

However there are a few thoughtful moments, capped by Connelly delivering a mesmerizing 6:30 monologue about a fateful day that changed her life. From the first couple sentences, you know what the outcome of her story will be, but you still have to sit there uncomfortably just like the rest of the cast does and listen to her softly describe every detail. You can tell she has replayed that day a thousand times over in her mind, and now reflects upon it with acceptance traced with an almost whimsical sadness. Quite extraordinary. It's the kind of speech that could've gotten her a Supporting Actress nomination long before A Beautiful Mind if it had been in a much better movie. I would say for Connelly fans it's worth watching just for that scene.
June 12, 2010
A decent cast in a movie that was well-intended when written and filmed only to have it fall apart anyway. This film's downfall and inherent flaw was it's own smugness. I got the distinct feeling all the actors and actresses, even the multi-talented Marcia Gay Harden, were trying too damned hard. The entire premise might've been better if the character leads had a more sordid past than simply being successful workaholics. The weekend getaway spoiled because someone parked a yacht in the lake and hence everyone is reminded that there are no weekend getaways if you are a workaholic. That's the plot???? The lesser characters are portrayed by some not-too-solid actors and actresses. This causes the supporting cast to fail miserably. I honestly got bored with this film. It was about as engaging and charming as a Sunday afternoon drive to Walgreens.