91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

A Farewell to Arms Reviews

AJ V

September 3, 2010
Very long and very melodramatic! Good actors and a realistic story, but it was too melodramatic for my taste.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 31, 2008
Creaky antique with mismatched stars is interesting in how much more openly the couples sexual relationship is portrayed than it would have been just a few years later when the production code had gone into effect. Otherwise it isn't anything to go out of your way to watch.
Apeneck F

July 21, 2007
it's a '30's HOLLYWOOD movie, not the hemingway book, so first get over your lit pretensions. if you can manage that small grace, then this is a quiet and precious film, surprising because it's not cooper that stars, no, but helen hayes who makes every scene she's in resonant, as if she came equipped with her own personal echo chamber. adolphe menjou makes for an smiling and irritating deus ex machina while the coop does his best, the keanu reeves of his day, to simply remain in the work and give life to hemingway's stoic hero.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 28, 2007
a solid portrayal of one of my favorite novels of all time. much of the most impactful war narrative from the source material was removed, but thats understandable since the love story is the most important part and the film was only 90 minutes. what was included was done well and gary cooper put in a solid performance. good film.

July 21, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=navy]"A Farewell to Arms" starts out in Itay in World War I. Catherine(Helen Hayes) is a nurse from England. Frederic(Gary Cooper) is an expatriate from the United States, former architecture student and now an ambulance driver. They meet and fall in love. This is an undeniably romantic film about people who live life with the constant possibility that it could all end tomorrow. But the finale is certainly over the top and Adolphe Menjou sports a rather comical Italian accent.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#000080][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkgreen]"Morocco" is about a vaudeville performer, Amy Jolly(Marlene Dietrich), who is on her way to colonial Morocco, apparently to get away from someone or something. On the way there, she meets a wealthy businessman(Adolphe Menjou). At her debut performance in Morocco, she wears a tuxedo, flirts with men as well as women and encounters roguish Foreign Legionnaire, Tom Brown(Gary Cooper) in the cheap seats. Brown apparently has a woman at every oasis. "Morocco" is an enjoyable film about finding love in the least likeliest places.[/color][/font]
John B

August 16, 2013
I find that Gary Cooper outside of High Noon is not someone suited for a lot of films. Here he bumbles through Hemingway who unfortunately was alive to see it.
Chris B

June 10, 2011
A very melodramatic and decently created first Hemingway adaptation of A Farewell to Arms that while not reaching the greatness of the book, is commendable. The film is slow and often filled with a lot of overly emotional events but if you can endure that you are in for a good and tragic love story unfolding and the devastating result.
Juli R

June 4, 2011
The book fails to carry over to the screen.
chriselee
March 12, 2008
A note on old movies: What print you watch is absolutely crucial when watching an older film because the quality of the picture can range from amazing to downright unwatchable. Unfortunately it is difficult to get original prints in pristine condition and thus harder to restore, not to mention the older film making techniques are primitive compared to what we are accustomed to today. In regards to this film, there were scenes that were very dark where it was impossible to see anything. It is as if they didn't know anything about lighting back then.
Anyways, in regards to this film, it's a good film that encompasses the classic Hollywood film. Unfortunately that leads to some plot holes and heavy handed romanticism. That is not to say that is not enjoyable though as I was pleasantly moved by the final scenes even if they are guilty of overacting. B-
Ken D

June 2, 2007
Sometimes Hemingway's woks don't always translate well on the screen. This is one of them. This was very boring and I found myself wanting to go to sleep several times.
April 24, 2014
Yeah just read the book
December 30, 2013
I liked all the technical aspects but just thought the movie was kind of dull. It hasn't aged all that well imo. I probably should have just read the book!
Chris B

June 10, 2011
May 21, 2012
Sei que à (C) um clássico, mas nem sempre isso significa se tratar de um bom filme. à o caso aqui, pelo menos no meu ponto de vista. Adeus às Armas simplesmente não sobreviveu ao tempo. Narrativa burocrática e pouco inspirada, sem contar o moralismo ultrapassado da história. E antes de me acusarem de não pensar o filme em seu contexto, os anos 1930, se lembrem que mesmo naquela à (C)poca (e antes) foram produzidos filmes muito melhores e mais ousados que esse.
Adrian B.
September 27, 2011
As I much appreciate the star actor, Gary Cooper, I found this film to be a dissapointment. Cooper stars as a soldier to finds love in a World War I camp. He meets a nurse (Helen Hayes), and the spent several short periods of time together enjoying each other's company. Sadly, Cooper has to return to war and Hayes has been moved to another camp. I wanted to like this film, but I it found slow and relatively dated. It just didn't have the magic that it once had back in 1932 and alas, I could only marginally accept it. I will admit, however, the special effects were pretty explosive and there were few scenes with some passion.
Scott Giles
December 28, 2009
Pacing, superior acting and impressive direction make this one of best, if not the BEST, Hemingway adaptation ever put on screen. The cinematography is not there to be beautiful and it isn't just serviceable. It helps tell the story.

It's an emotional and believable story. One buys the love story, the sadness and the desperation. As stylized as it is, like great poetry, it is sincere and delivers a truth that is undeniable.
jazza923
November 15, 2007
Beautifully filmed version of the classic story. Helen Hayes is very memorable in the role of Catherine, she is such a great actress. Great story, well adapted to the screen. Fine direction by Frank Borzage.

July 21, 2005