Fast Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fast Company Reviews

½ January 1, 2016
Once again Cronenberg in unusual terrain. Who would have though he would do a drag-racing movie? Even though its pretty clean cut and easy watchable. Some love, some intriguers, some actiong, some violence. It's a little bit of everything, though far from his mutilating abnormality in the film-sense.
February 16, 2012
Even in a yee-haw drive-in flick about manly men drivin' cars, Cronenberg manages to sneak in some body-consciousness.
September 27, 2012
Cronenberg is the director for hire here, and he has made a sublime racing picture, with an unforgettable cast of characters. Rattling confidently like the ramshackle cars driven by our team, the picture is simultaneously a sports parable about integrity and a deep meditation on the sport of drag racing. You can smell the fuel, the burning rubber, cold dawnings on a deserted racetrack by an alfalfa field, and all those oily characters. You may laugh at the butt rock anthems on the soundtrack, but if you don't root for Lonnie Johnson and Billy, I don't want to know you.
½ February 18, 2012
Drag racing. Funny cars. David Cronenberg? Ah, right, he's a racing fan and this was a joyride for him around the time of when he made The Brood. The ending was pretty badass, lol, didn't expect all that to happen, although I guess I should have saw it coming. It was enjoyable, a popcorn flick, and you gotta love the music.
½ March 7, 2011
Not too shabby for a 70s movie about drag racing. Along with some of the most awesomly cheesy music in cinematic history. I found myself clapping to the end credits song.
½ January 28, 2010
Fast cars, coked up broads, and a sleazy John Saxon. It really is a shame that this is Cronenberg's only movie with Saxon. It would have seemed that the two were made for each other. The plot is silly, the acting hammy, and the car racing barely there. Still, its worth it just for the awful music and because it's Claudia Jennings last cocaine fueled performance, before she ascended into the great car crash in the sky.
½ June 11, 2009
Fast Company is another one of those 70's exploitation films built around fast cars and hot naked women directed by none other than David Cronenberg. Wait a minute...what the hell? David Cronenberg and drag racing is about as uncommon as Michael Bay and plot. At a young age in his career, but already equipped with the likes of They Came From Within, Rabid, and The Brood under his belt, Cronenberg went a different and presented us with a light-hearted drag racing movie about Lonnie "Lucky Man" Johnson (played well by William Smith), a veteran amongst drag racing and the hero to many fans of this sport. Johnson contends with passing the torch down to a youth on his team (Nicholas Campbell), his estranged girlfriend (the beautiful Claudia Jennings in her last film role before her untimely death), rival Gary 'The Blacksmith' Black (Cedric Smith), and a slimy company man from Fast CO (cult star John Saxon who is the highlight in this film) who wants Johnson finished. The story and direction are above average and really proved that Cronenberg was destined to hit it big, and the actors make the movie fun to watch. The movie even sports a nice couple of titty shots. Really though, it's John Saxon who steals this movie away at times with his a-hole character. This is a completely different and unusual film for Cronenberg, but he made it work and I wound up enjoying it quite a bit. Good stuff.
August 15, 2007
Who would have guessed that Cronenberg's second love after stomach churning gore was fast cars? A racer biopic by Cronenberg? Believe it or not, it's actually not bad at all. The Blue Underground DVD even has two of his earliest short films.
½ September 13, 2006
Good redneck drama. Not typical of Cronenberg's work but his love of cars shines through (of course.)
½ January 1, 2016
½ October 27, 2014
Cronenberg's weakest film.
½ January 18, 2014
A normal Cronenberg movie, yet it still retains his signature style. A little goofy but entertaining movie.
February 16, 2012
October 27, 2012
Not a typical Cronenberg film. Pit lane tensions overheat in Edmonton between top funny car racer Lonnie "Lucky Man" Johnson and his sponsor, FastCo Motor Treatment. Could have been even better if Don "the Snake" Prudhomme made a cameo.
September 27, 2012
½ February 18, 2012
½ January 7, 2012
Fast Company is, by far, David Cronenberg's least interesting film.
½ March 7, 2011
February 9, 2011
A pretty average 70's movie. Very surprised that it was David Cronenburg. The most notable thing about it in my memory is that it was filmed in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The city I grew up in. Brings back alot of memories of places from back in the day.
January 17, 2011