Father Goose Reviews

July 12, 2007
Absolutely one of my favorite Grant efforts, with the teaming with Leslie Caron nearly a perfect combination. The scene where he teaches her how to fish is so erotic, while still being playful, that I can't stand it. Grant is a misanthrope hiding from society on a Pacific island when he gets wrangled into contributing to the war effort. An accident hooks him up with Caron and her little charges, and ... well, it's just fun to watch.
September 5, 2010
This is one of those movies where the lone bachelor is all of a sudden having to take care of some kids, and it doesn't do much to shake things up by way of theme, either. Grant gives an okay performance, but the movie's just okay.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ June 30, 2010
What a cute movie! I felt really bad for Cary Grant for like the first half though, I would have beaten those kids for stealing my stuff, but it turned out well enough! It was really funny and the whole thing flowed really well. LOVED seeing Mr. Grant all un-sophisticated!
garyX
May 26, 2007
Cary Grant sheds his debonair image and portrays a cowardly misanthrope lumbered with a french schoolteacher and her class of young girls on a desert island during WWII. The romance is charming, it's exciting when the enemy appears and there are loads of laughs. Quirky and lots of fun.
½ June 23, 2007
Cary Grant is still entertaining even as he starts graying.
Rostron2
½ July 14, 2010
This may have been the first movie I ever saw as a special premiere, and although I was very young, I can recall this to this day. We actually lined up to see this in the rain in New York at the Radio City Music Hall. The movie itself was not very successful, and the lack of chemistry between the leads is evident as I watch it today. However, the story is actually pretty interesting, with the backdrop of the war and the coast-watchers. Seeing it much later as an adult, I found it had left deep impressions on me as far as movies. But Cary Grant was always worth watching.
xxdebxx
June 6, 2010
Walter Eckland: Lady, you are making a powerful enemy.

All poor Cary Grant wanted to do was sit out World War II in peace, but the British Navy and the Japanese have other ideas. Blackmailed by his friend, Royal Navy Commander Trevor Howard into spotting Japanese plane and ship movements on some Pacific tropic isle, Grant's problems multiply when his cruiser is scuttled-by the very people who have enlisted him. To top it all off; he is forced to transport several young ladies from hell led by Leslie Caron who were left stranded and need to get back to the mainland. These lovely ladies promptly throw him out of his digs, bury his booze, and steal his blankets, tools, and food. A wonderful scene is when he gives the prim and proper French schoolteacher Caron some medicinal alcohol when he thinks she's been fatally bitten by a venomous snake. Cary Grant's combination of maturity, good looks, and comedic timing makes this a delightful comedy to watch.

It is a charming family movie (no rough language and nudity) with nice blend of romantic comedy and war adventure between Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast!

Walter Eckland: Let me tell you I am not a father figure. I am not a brother figure or an uncle figure or a cousin figure. In fact, the only figure I intend being is a total stranger figure.
June 25, 2007
One of my favorite 'old' movies. Cary Grant stranded on an island in the middle of WW2 w/ 7 school girls and their teacher. The estrogen surge would get to me too. He just had great timing
½ November 22, 2011
Light fluff, but I really enjoyed it. I wish I had grown up with this movie, it's a great little family movie. I would have liked it a lot as a kid (and I didn't like that many older movies then). Pretty funny and charming, Trevor Howard is great, and Cary Grant is his usual awesome self. Leslie Caron does a decent job as well.
September 13, 2009
I love how Cary Grant played against type here as he's such a curmudgeon and rather withdrawn and worn down. Much different than the suave-yet-silly character we often see him as. Leslie Caron turns in another enjoyable performance, proving that "Gigi" really is just a bad film--it has nothing to do with her ability.
moviemaniacgirl
½ September 20, 2010
Average. Annoying for the first two thirds, then okay. The acting was decent enough, but the plot... well it was way to predictable or just awful.
June 12, 2009
It's been ages since I've seen this and it's still a wonderfully made comedy with all the old school fixins!!!! I just love Cary grant and it's so great to witness once again just how well movies were done back in the day without all guts and glory, sex and nudity...! This was a s funny as the first time I've seen it and anyone who enjoys a good old flick should really take the time to watch this!!! I actually wind up buying this one, what a wonderful trip back in time!!!!
November 10, 2008
A playful comedy about a drop out of society alcholic "drafted" into helping the British navy in WW2. His job on his south pacific island is to spot and call in Japanese aircraft.Through a strange series of events he is joined by a hottie of a teacher and 6 female students. At first glance, a creative idea for a story BUT at the same time a bit too absurd. The film however delivers. It is delightful and VERY funny AND very clean.
½ September 17, 2008
Was not a big Laslie Caron fan till I saw her with Grant. Miss Goody Two Shoes marries the Filthy Beast.
½ April 27, 2008
Cary Grant's character is awesome and the situation he's put into is really funny. The ending is great too.
January 21, 2008
Cute, amusing, predictable. It represents a major change from Grant's usual role as the suave, debonair, clean-cut romantic figure to a scruffy, disreputable, alcoholic cad.
October 19, 2007
Take one hard-core bachelor who was tricked into working as a spotter alone on an island during World War Two. Add one fiesty, proper schoolmistress and seven young girls, and what have you got? The setup for action, suspense, a little romance, and a lot of laughs. Beyond that, this movie is simply one of those "quotables" that you can keep laughing over even after it's back in the case. When's the last time someone told YOU they know how to ride a camel?
June 30, 2007
Grant was quoted as saying that this role's character was the closest in reality to himself as a person.

The war atmosphere collides with the the zany comedic romance of the pacific. Lsslie shines and Grant begrudgingly concedes.

Great cinemotography and even better acting. A must see for young and old alike.
½ June 18, 2007
Me and my sister used to watch this movie all the time when we were little! What can I say we loved the classics.
First of all Leslie Caron and Carey Grant work this funny movie together they both support each others character so well. Even all the little dames in it make it an even better movie!