Fathom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fathom Reviews

September 5, 2010
Can you fathom Raquel Welch as a super spy? If so, watch Fathom! I think the strangest thing about this movie is that her name is Fathom, who names their girl Fathom, or is it some kind of nickname? Another question: why does Flixster say this movie is rated nc-17? It's not rated, and it doesn't deserve that rating anyway. Okay, so I thought this movie was a good spy flick, and I liked Welch as a spy too. It's a good movie.
DrStrangeblog
December 14, 2008
As lightweight as the clothes on Raquel Welch's back. Wow, she really is a pretty bad actress, and Tony Franciosa's lame Burt Lancaster impersonation is more smarmy than charming. Nice scenery though, and that includes the Spanish locations.
October 18, 2015
For some reason the James Bond factor, come for the action, women watch for whoever is portraying James Bond's hadsomeness, didn't work out for Raquel Welch. Maybe it relies on the fact that Welch is a skydiver who has a Bond girl name. Obviously, Welch's character doesn't have acrophobia, but maybe she should have given the success of Hitchcock's lame Vertigo.
November 3, 2014
I gave it a spin because it was a part of a little spy-themed handful of DVDs that MGM released to cash in on the Austin Powers 'buzz' of the time, so I grabbed one cheap at a Big Lots and figured I'd see what it was all about.

The film is pretty silly, with not a lot for Raquel Welch to do save for look pretty and make you wonder why she was picked for this assignment, since she isn't actually a spy but rather a civilian who happens to be an expert in the area they need.

Silly, and nothing I see myself coming back to at any point, unless I'm suddenly investigating Welch's career in depth.

Rental.
May 6, 2007
This movie's only reason for existing was to have Raquel Welch show off her figure in several outfits and bathing suits. The acting was poor. The story is lame. The direction was poor. The movie was shot on location in Spain so it looked better than an episode of Get Smart but an episode of Get Smart was funnier. I saw this movie on TV when I was a kid and didn't like it. Now that I'm grown I know that the reason to watch the film is to watch Raquel Welch. She is very sexy in this movie. She's the star and everyone else is a supporting actors.
March 10, 2011
Let me start out with the reasons to see this movie: Raquel Welch looks gorgeous. And, um, uh, hmm, oh yeah, hmm... Did I mention Raquel Welch looks gorgeous? Reasons not to see it. Well the only reason TO see it is that Raquel Welch looks gorgeous, I
½ April 18, 2010
Now this is a lot of fun.

Fathom Harvill (Raquel Welch) is a skydiver that's so good that two officials (Ronald Fraser; Richard Briers), ostensibly from our government, enlist her aid in planting a bug on a criminal (Anthony Franciosa) who has stolen a McGuffin called "The Fire Dragon" She's told that the Fire Dragon is a remote control detonator for a hydrogen bomb, and in Cold War America, this cannot fall into the wrong hands. Doing her patriotic duty, Fathom (whose name is an acronym using her rich uncles' initials) plants the bug successfully, and thinks she's done when another lecherous criminal (Clive Revill) steals the Fire Dragon. This begins a domino effect that brings Fathom further and further into a complex tale of double and triple crosses, in which she has no idea who her allies are or how this will all end. In the process, she travels all around Spain and gets to wear several beautiful outfits that highlight her own impressive physique. It's a swinging '60's spy adventure, and a hoot.

But's it's a surprisingly well written story too, with a touch of complexity, and several clever set pieces that all pay off nicely. Fathom faces a bull, escapes a helicoptor, and has an aerial battle, among other things. Once you suspend your disbelief that this girl would let herself get this deep into this plot, everything works out and ties up nicely (with one exception). And it's not even too much of a stretch, because the explanations provided for why she keeps going with it are believable enough. Again, if not for that one slip (which might just be me missing something), and an ending that you can question somewhat, it's a pretty smooth and tight story (no comments from the peanut gallery, please).

And of course, you get what you pay for -- lots of beautiful photography of Raquel Welch. Don't get me wrong, I know that this movie is just an excuse to see Raquel in her prime in various states of dress, and you get that. Like the best exploitation movies, it meets expectations plus something a little extra -- a quality story and exciting locales. Nothing too deep, just the right level of secret agent fare that was popular during this period of film. Like all of the best films of this genre, it's colorful, sexy, and a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it, and for those who are into this era, you'll dig it too, or as they would say back then, "it's a gas."
December 11, 2009
Some excellent cinematography is the best thing about this film. Raquel Welch?s performance is not very good, but then again, she?s not in the film because of her acting ability. The plot is unusual to say the least. Oddly enjoyable.
December 11, 2009
January 15, 2008
What can I say? It would be virtually impossible for me to not like this movie. The formula is a perfect. Take the ultimate smart-n-sassy sex goddess, Raquel Welch, drop her (quite literally) into a picturesque Mediterranean village, throw in a lime green bikini to spice things up a bit, add a pinch of classic '60s tongue-in-cheek spy story and you have quite possibly the perfect recipe for great escapist entertainment. I loved it!
April 20, 2008
Hi: This is my favorite sexy romp film, Raquel proves she is the Goddess, but on the photo board below look at the black and white shot-it's not from Fathom, but from the Biggest Bundle Of Them All.
February 3, 2008
Raquel Welch is a spy, so is Tony Franciosa, she is not certain he is on her side or not. The chase is on in Spain. The best scene is seeing Raquel being chase by a Bull in Bull-Fight ring.
January 4, 2008
Raquel could wear those short skirts well. Think she was in her mid 20's in this movie. Some what 'tounge in cheek' bit fun and, at times, gripping
October 23, 2015
Raquel Welch, the star of this film, is not an actress. She's a 1960's sex goddess, and one of the hottest female film stars to ever grace the screen. But she's not an actress. The only reason to watch this film is to see a super hot looking Raquel Welch in her prime, wearing a fairly conservative bikini (which was the 1960's idea of shockingly sexy). Or if you want a bit of lighthearted fluff with horrible acting all around. But otherwise it's a waste. But Raquel is very hot.
October 18, 2015
November 3, 2014

Rental.
June 24, 2013
Typical Raquel Welch bounce and leer action from her heydey.
May 6, 2007