Fathom

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Fathom Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
Can you fathom Raquel Welch as a super spy? If so, watch Fathom! I think the strangest thing about this movie is that her name is Fathom, who names their girl Fathom, or is it some kind of nickname? Another question: why does Flixster say this movie is rated nc-17? It's not rated, and it doesn't deserve that rating anyway. Okay, so I thought this movie was a good spy flick, and I liked Welch as a spy too. It's a good movie.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

December 14, 2008
As lightweight as the clothes on Raquel Welch's back. Wow, she really is a pretty bad actress, and Tony Franciosa's lame Burt Lancaster impersonation is more smarmy than charming. Nice scenery though, and that includes the Spanish locations.
donaldwhite1
May 6, 2007
This movie's only reason for existing was to have Raquel Welch show off her figure in several outfits and bathing suits. The acting was poor. The story is lame. The direction was poor. The movie was shot on location in Spain so it looked better than an episode of Get Smart but an episode of Get Smart was funnier. I saw this movie on TV when I was a kid and didn't like it. Now that I'm grown I know that the reason to watch the film is to watch Raquel Welch. She is very sexy in this movie. She's the star and everyone else is a supporting actors.
RobertInMemphis
March 10, 2011
Let me start out with the reasons to see this movie: Raquel Welch looks gorgeous. And, um, uh, hmm, oh yeah, hmm... Did I mention Raquel Welch looks gorgeous? Reasons not to see it. Well the only reason TO see it is that Raquel Welch looks gorgeous, I
jam233
December 11, 2009
Some excellent cinematography is the best thing about this film. Raquel Welch?s performance is not very good, but then again, she?s not in the film because of her acting ability. The plot is unusual to say the least. Oddly enjoyable.
January 15, 2008
What can I say? It would be virtually impossible for me to not like this movie. The formula is a perfect. Take the ultimate smart-n-sassy sex goddess, Raquel Welch, drop her (quite literally) into a picturesque Mediterranean village, throw in a lime green bikini to spice things up a bit, add a pinch of classic '60s tongue-in-cheek spy story and you have quite possibly the perfect recipe for great escapist entertainment. I loved it!
jlstewar
April 20, 2008
Hi: This is my favorite sexy romp film, Raquel proves she is the Goddess, but on the photo board below look at the black and white shot-it's not from Fathom, but from the Biggest Bundle Of Them All.
caprice122163
February 3, 2008
Raquel Welch is a spy, so is Tony Franciosa, she is not certain he is on her side or not. The chase is on in Spain. The best scene is seeing Raquel being chase by a Bull in Bull-Fight ring.
saltersheppard
January 4, 2008
Raquel could wear those short skirts well. Think she was in her mid 20's in this movie. Some what 'tounge in cheek' bit fun and, at times, gripping
starlett2005
September 16, 2010
Fathom is a fun film and very entertaining. Raquel Welch gives an amazing performance. The screenplay is well written and witty. Leslie H. Martinson did a good job directing this movie. I enjoyed this film because of the comedy. Fathom is a must see.
A. Khan
April 18, 2010
Now this is a lot of fun.

Fathom Harvill (Raquel Welch) is a skydiver that's so good that two officials (Ronald Fraser; Richard Briers), ostensibly from our government, enlist her aid in planting a bug on a criminal (Anthony Franciosa) who has stolen a McGuffin called "The Fire Dragon" She's told that the Fire Dragon is a remote control detonator for a hydrogen bomb, and in Cold War America, this cannot fall into the wrong hands. Doing her patriotic duty, Fathom (whose name is an acronym using her rich uncles' initials) plants the bug successfully, and thinks she's done when another lecherous criminal (Clive Revill) steals the Fire Dragon. This begins a domino effect that brings Fathom further and further into a complex tale of double and triple crosses, in which she has no idea who her allies are or how this will all end. In the process, she travels all around Spain and gets to wear several beautiful outfits that highlight her own impressive physique. It's a swinging '60's spy adventure, and a hoot.

But's it's a surprisingly well written story too, with a touch of complexity, and several clever set pieces that all pay off nicely. Fathom faces a bull, escapes a helicoptor, and has an aerial battle, among other things. Once you suspend your disbelief that this girl would let herself get this deep into this plot, everything works out and ties up nicely (with one exception). And it's not even too much of a stretch, because the explanations provided for why she keeps going with it are believable enough. Again, if not for that one slip (which might just be me missing something), and an ending that you can question somewhat, it's a pretty smooth and tight story (no comments from the peanut gallery, please).

And of course, you get what you pay for -- lots of beautiful photography of Raquel Welch. Don't get me wrong, I know that this movie is just an excuse to see Raquel in her prime in various states of dress, and you get that. Like the best exploitation movies, it meets expectations plus something a little extra -- a quality story and exciting locales. Nothing too deep, just the right level of secret agent fare that was popular during this period of film. Like all of the best films of this genre, it's colorful, sexy, and a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it, and for those who are into this era, you'll dig it too, or as they would say back then, "it's a gas."
jazza923