The Feast of All Saints - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Feast of All Saints Reviews

½ August 9, 2012
I didn' catch it when it was the miniseries I rented it. I had read the book which was excellent. This miniseries follows the book almost exactly. Which is huge for me. It is great I highly reccommend it.
½ July 6, 2011
This was one of my favorite Mini-series ever.A look into New Orleans Upper Class & the tradition of "Placage" fascinated me.This was very well made & acted, I've been trying to remember the name of this for so long, & I finally found it here.I would like to see it again, & own it.Like "Roots" it is a little known History tat we all should educate ourselves better about, it is our history.
½ May 27, 2008
Cool movie adapted from Anne Rice's novel with the same title. It was a bit graphic in some scenes, but I enjoyed the storyline.
June 1, 2007
This movie captures your attention and keeps you engrossed so intently, you will not realize that the movie is about 3 hours or more long! There are many black stars in here when they were younger and it tells a story of truth from the olden days that is still happening now! Educational. A must see movie!
June 10, 2007
Magloire Dazincourt, the owner of Bontemps, the largest sugar plantation of the entire South, asks his favorite cousin, Philippe Ferronaire, to marry his daughter Aglae Dazincourt and take over most of its management and family, including his colored mistress Cecile Ste. Marie, for whom he has a cottage build in New Orleans. When Magloire dies, Philippe becomes her lover and the father -not in law- of her son Marcel, named after his own father though, and promises her to get the boy educated in racially egalitarian Paris from age 18. However while still living in the decadent creole society in New Orleans, Marcel Ste. Marie gets in touch trough a colored carpenter with both his white and black roots, both of which bloodlines suffered greatly in the bloody racial civil wars on Haiti, a subject the American society refuses to deal with publicly, and the more people he gets to know or hears their past, the more he gets aware of social and racial matters. Then his father Philippe gets in grave financial problems and decides to marry off his daughter to the son of a black businessman while committing the dreadfully disappointed Marcel to a two year training as local undertaker...(imbd)
½ October 6, 2015
I have been waiting and waiting to see this movie and it was worth the wait. It really sheds light on a very unfamiliar part of Black history during the times of slavery- the "Gens de Couleur Libres." It was very eye opening and therefore very distressing. The acting was beautiful and the cast overall was well chosen. It is a movie that Black people should see and be inspired to find out more about our history. Well worth seeing.
September 8, 2012
Very informative . Beautifully and sad.
½ August 9, 2012
June 11, 2012
I like the change of scenery from pre-Civil war slaves. There was a lot more to life for blacks at the time and I'm glad that there's a movie that shows it. I think that some things could have been done a lot better than they were, but it was a good glimpse into a very little known world.
½ May 28, 2012
HORRIBLE. I love Anne Rice, but this just didn't interest me.
May 23, 2012
Very well done series, learned a lot!
January 13, 2012
This is a MUST SEE. Historical Fiction at it's best. Based on the Anne Rice novel, this true story follow the life of a mixed creole boy coming of age in a world not white or black but in between. Rent it. Buy it. Whatever you do watch it.
½ July 6, 2011
May 5, 2011
Compelling drama about free slaves and life changing choices they made in order to live free.
November 12, 2010
Bianca Lawson swooooooooooons
½ January 15, 2009
This was excellent! Usually one doesn't expect much from movies that were originally aired as a TV miniseries. However, once in awhile one comes along that outshines the others. This is an example of that. Although it has the same general corniness and overacting of a typical made-for-TV movie, it is easy to see past that to the wonderful period piece this is. I had no idea about the gens de colour until I read Rice's fantastic novel, and although this movie does stray a bit from her original work, it still is just as fascinating. The scenery was exactly as I pictured it while reading, so it was fun to see a world of my imagination spring so fully to life here. I do have a few qualms with it, however. Some of the things they chose to leave out boggled me a bit. I thought certain important facts were kept out that should have been there. And some characters were rewritten a bit differently which I felt didn't give credit to the original characters I fell in love with. However, these are small complaints and I have to say that this is an absolutely wonderful little miniseries. If you are interested in black history, New Orleans, or just history in general, PICK THIS UP! It does not disappoint.
½ May 11, 2010
Ok now this story is interesting to me. The clothing and the time period is good. NOW I didnt really think Robert Ri 'chard did that great of a job. I love his beauty and his innocence, but I thought he was to young in his career for this role. But other then that. I like Anne Rice novels, and I am very interested in any of the movies that try to capture her words on film.

Beautiful woman, tragic kind of story. Strong woman trying to make a life for their self in their times. Its actually very sad. But that was the time, I really respect the thoughts that crossed my mind when watching this movie. About what it might have been like to be in those times. This movie made me think. Lots of people in this movie. I was impressed with Jennifer Beals, Jasmine Guy and all the other woman in this movie.

I just finished reading Angel time and I would love to see this one done on film. I love Anne Rice and am so grateful for her stories.
December 6, 2009
I had high hopes for this film, but was left disappointed by the terrible script and acting, the lack of character development.
½ October 13, 2009
Great period piece, and doesn't sugarcoat the split between whites and blacks in 19th century New Orleans. The acting is superb, and even if the story were dull (its really not) I would recommend this film from the fine presentation alone.
September 1, 2009
I'm probably 1 of 5 people who have seen this movie but it is excellent. On a relaxing Saturday or Sunday you have to kick back on the couch and wath this film. I give it 5 stars.