20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Feeling Minnesota Reviews

Conner R

May 29, 2010
What a crazy story about brothers. Keanu Reeves wasn't as nutty and alien as usual, especially when Vincent D'Onofrio played his character so deranged. I think the only real shining element was Cameron Diaz, who was a really good character. It's so trashy and odd, but you can go a lot worse in terms of romantic comedies.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 7, 2009
Feeling Minnesota is a nice forgetable movie.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Not bad but not great, ultimately it?s forgettable!
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

December 17, 2007
"feeling minnesota" is keanu reeves' attempt to prove his calibre as an actor after his success at the "speed" which catapults his clean-shaved heartthrobber status. whether reeves is a good actor or not, he definitely strives to be one by the iconclastic diverse roles he has taken. perhaps this movie is neglected due to audience's disaproval of his maverick ambition. but in spite of reeves, "feeling minnesota" is an underrated neo-noir meshed with road movie gendre as well as slapstick black-humor.

reeves plays jjacks, a ex-con whose brother blackmails a trashy blonde(cameron diaz) into marrying him. then this sappy never-do-good shows up at his brother's wedding and steals the bride's heart away. so these two intend to flee for vegas by thieving the cuckold's stashed money. unfortunately the couple is short-witted enough to be backstabbed by the cuckold...what ensues is phony death as well as posthumous resurrection, and the process involves someone's ear gets chewed off ghastly.

the subject matter of this flick could hardly attract keanu reeves' usual fans who adore his neatly wholesome boyish charm, and low-life debauchery doesn't seem an adequate dish for keanu. but keanu's guileless innocence is also what diverges this flick from sleazy melodrama, transcending it into an unusual romance of absurdity, a strange kind of love affair.

cameron diaz builds her early career with a series of spunky dirty blonde roles, and gender-reversal is a common theme in diaz's beurgeoning days. diaz was often the manipulative woman who takes the wheel, sort of edgy controlling freak type in movies like "a life less ordinary", "very bad things" and "any given sunday"...her best talent was being seductively feminine but insidiously domineering with a deviant paranoic drive until her success in "something about mary" and "charles' angels" sink her into commercialized movie star who gains quick bucks by cheesy chic flicks.

it has attention-gripping cameos from punk-goddess courtney love as the waitress who gives sassy murder advices, and the last performance from old-time classic starlet tuesday weld, who was once steven macqueen leading girl in "cincinati kid" and cult-noir "pretty poison"(it was later adapted into "poison ivy" with drew barrymore in the 80s) as keanu reeves' un-affectionate mother. vincent d'onofrio, keanu's cuckolded bro, later would incarnates into the pervert child-molester in thriller "the cell".

the movie also shows a realistic side of minnesota, the spontaneous angles from minnesota highways, cheap motel in slums, car-wagon with driver wearing hillbilly hat and the road-side forest with autumn leaves. it feels cozy with tangible affinity while its characters at the wrong-side of track merely dream to live in vegas just to enjoy a four-dollar buffet and the incessant glitters of neon-signs that sounds sympathetically petite but earthily endearing.

one admirable quality would be the movie is still dialogue-driven with dimensions for each character. it's neo-noir without the pretentious flatulency to boast the circumstance by excessive violence and gruesomely inhuman femme fatale like "romeo is bleeding" or "reservoir dogs"...perhaps it's inappropriate to deem it as neo-noir since it still preserves the simplistic human aspect of noir with nostalgic country songs like "ring of fire" as well as its sly contemporary sense of black humor, experimentally hybridized with road movie and farce of ridicule.

the ending was origionally plotted as a tradegy but altered as comedy with pleasant blossom of love due to reeves' stardom. so which would be better? you may never know.
deano
deano

June 19, 2007
Quite not bad drama-thriller of sibling rivalry goes wild when black sheep Keanu Reeves shows up at his brother's wedding and runs off with bride Cameron Diaz. Vincent D'Onofrio looks and dresses like a big loser than Reeves.
Emily A

April 9, 2007
I saw this during my Keanu Reeves phase and it was a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be. It was genuinely funny, but you have to sit through a lot of pathos as well. You just have to love a film whose main character (Jjacks) has a typo on his birth certificate.
Michael G

November 2, 2006
Way underrated.
Alec B

January 9, 2008
This is a film about two people who desperately are trying to escape their lives in Minnesota, but it never really gets off the ground. The performances are good and the characters are interesting but the film can't figure out if the situation these people are in is sad, funny, or violent. I think maybe if the script had recieved a few more re-writes it might have become the great black comedy it aspired to be.
Daniel P

November 4, 2006
Offbeat, ridiculously over-the-top film that has enjoyable performances from Reeves, Diaz and D'Onofrio.
May 18, 2010
This movie is a little bizzare and fucked up...I find that enjoyable.

Plus: Vincent D'Onofrio
Minus: Cameron Diaz
elziard
November 8, 2008
i wish this site had a "i didn't want to see it but i did" button in addition to the "want to see it" and "not interested" ones. this was painful to watch. diaz and reeves would have served better with cardboard stand-ins because it'd have been funny.
Dejamey
August 4, 2008
I watched this movie for one reason and one reason only. Vincent D?Onofrio. So why the hell wasn?t he on the cover of the video sleeve?!
angelwings05
May 24, 2007
I've never been able to watch the whole thing, but hope to someday see all of it. What I saw of it looked good.
chase82tx
March 31, 2007
If your sick of HollyWoods same formulaic plots this may be a nice breath of fresh air but not that nice because the movie isnt that good its just ok.
dooritor
August 24, 2006
not minnesota, maybe russians in america.. bad title. anyways, cameron diaz is hotter than hell. that being said, this movie was a disapointment. plot bad, weak characters all around. diaz wasnt a bad girl enuf and didnt have that certain scene to make me believe she was for real. i did enjoy seeing reeves and diaz together tho.
September 5, 2013
The acting is an embarrassment not to mention its thin script and unconvincing attempt at an action/comedy, simply said its similar to something the Coen Brothers would direct, only much worse.
July 8, 2007
Really bad. I just wanted to see Courtney Love's cameo.
October 31, 2011
I loved the movie... Twists & turns make for this interesting flick till the end!
April 19, 2011
KEANU REEVES IS GOD.
EdGe
July 22, 2010
I know, why waste a movie review about a two-rate movie like "Feeling Minnesota"? I don't know... I just feel like doing it. Strangely enough, after seating through an hour and a half of this black comedy, I actually liked it. I was entertained. That's probably just it.