Fido - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fido Reviews

½ May 11, 2008
Nothing like zombie milk men. This was one of the best zombie comedys ive seen yet. Carrie Ann Moss did a turn that i hadnt seen in her and the whole concept was just good fun.
FiLmCrAzY
December 2, 2007
A tidious dark comedy that neither makes you laugh nor scared.
January 23, 2008
Very funny and somewhat original zombie movie. Really enjoyed it and what a surprise, an original and entertaining movie that has nothing to do with the Hollywood crap conveyor.
October 4, 2010
"Fido" is one of the only films in history to show emotion between a zombie and human. So the story we have all known about zombies is forgotten. Once you die, you become a zombie who is either locked up or wears a collar that stabilizes you as you become a slave for humans. As a lonely kids family purchases one of these zombies, he falls in love with him, gives him a name, and becomes his best friend. Like all of the zombies, they may have malfunctions at any moment and go on a killing spree. This premise is very silly and almost downright laughable, but I believe that is what the overall idea is trying to convey. I absolutely adored this film, even though it is very very dull and stupid at times. Is it the best comedy ever? No, but it will make you laugh your ass off, while still being able to hold together enough emotion and plot details to have great storytelling throughout. The acting is decent, but Billy Connolly really stole the show as Fido. This film is hilarious and oddly heartwarming. I definitely give it a recommendation.
TheDudeLebowski65
September 14, 2011
Fido has got to be one of the most original zombie films that I've seen in quite some time. I felt that this was one of the best zombie comedies to come out since Shaun of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead. Fido is among the best of the zombie comedies, and add to that it's a totally different take on the genre itself. The story is set in the 1950's and zombies are domesticated to do chores. The idea behind Fido is wonderful, and the most die-hard zombie fan will surely be pleased at this refreshing new and funny take on zombie films. The actors are terrific in the parts they play and they all deliver on-screen. Dylan Baker gives the best performance here along with the actor who plays the title role of Fido. The film has a good dose of zombie comedy going on, and it blends very well with horror elements, not so much as not to scare the horror novice, which is a good thing. Fido is a very good, entertaining film that will most likely be seen as a classic film of the comedy horror genre. Everything about this film is well done, and as a die-hard fan of the genre, I thought that this film was a lot of fun. Fido belongs among the best films of the zombie genre and is one of the best zomedies of the last ten years. As far as horror comedies go, Fido definitely delivers the goods. The film will appeal to every fan of either genre.
May 13, 2011
This could be my new favorite zombie flick ever. It's got everything.. the 1950's, slow moving classic zombies, romance and it's funny. I loved the costumes too. Such a good idea for a movie.
August 8, 2010
Many films concerning zombies are naturally horror, and usually an examination of the problems in society. This film, with a backdrop of the 50's in all it's Cold War heyday, is much more of a comedy. The ridiculous history of the zombie infection, Zomcon, and the uncaring nature of the residents make for an interesting trip down memory lane. Great performances from legendary comic Billy Connelly as the obviously rebellious Fido, Carrie Ann Moss as the maternal presence, and Kesun Loder as the loving friend, a boy, who gives his zombie a fighting chance. It felt like a comic book sprung to life.
January 9, 2010
I really don't like zombie movies usually but I liked this one enough to watch it twice. Very clever.
½ June 9, 2009
This movie is not cookie-cutter. Imagine a world where most dead become zombies -- and somehow they are harnessed and become useful members of society. Of course, for the movie to work, sometimes the zombie control collars malfunction, and the zombies go back to their human-eating tendencies.
RCCLBC
½ May 28, 2009
Cleverly written and brilliantly acted, hands down THE MOST colorful "zombie film" that I have ever seen! And quite possibly the funniest "zombie film' that I have ever seen, though 'Sean Of The Dead' is "right up there".

If you are a fan of 50's Sci-Fi, Zombie Films or Dark Comedy in general...this one is not to be missed.

While there is a bit of (fairly well done) gore it is not used as an attempt to shock or sicken the viewer, it's all very "matter of fact". Simply something that is bound to happen when your dealing with zombies.

It's real strength is its bitting social commentary, the stunning sets and solid (yet humorous) acting by everyone involved.

Simply put...there is something here for just about everyone.
½ May 2, 2009
At a risk of sounding slightly sacrilegious, on first viewing I'm kind of inclined to put this right up on a par with 'Shaun of the Dead'. Now, given I view Simon Pegg as an unquestionable comedy genius, I realise this is a rather big claim. And to what extent you agree with that last statement may be a good preliminary gauge of whether 'Fido' will appeal to you.

In a way the comedy picks up where 'Shaun' left off, except we're back in the original 1950s Living Dead-era stereotypical middle-American small town. The Zombie Wars are over and zombies themselves are becoming more well-adjusted, useful members of the community. This, so we're informed at the outset, is largely thanks to the scientific advances made by the good people at Zomcom - a nice play on romantic comedy perhaps?

The beauty of the film lies in its dead-pan depiction of a respectable neighbourhood maintaining core values while making a place for zombies and the special hazards they pose. The charm and balance with which it does this is near enough perfect. Themes you might expect from a more mainstream kitsch comedy come through - the veneer of good clean living, keeping up appearances, repressed emotion, muddled parental values, social decorum and the plight of the alienated individual.

It's a story told with happy heart and wide appeal that is brought to life vividly by the film's all-round strong cast. It's one of those works where it really shows through that everyone involved got a kick out of taking part. It's also fun imagining what Billy Connelly learning his script must have been like...

So in conclusion, it is probable you will appreciate the humour of this film unless your father tried to eat you.
flixsterman
January 6, 2009
When it comes to putting monsters on film, there is a certain 'natural order' of things. When a monster is new to the medium and still relatively unknown in the minds of the audience, just his mere presence is frightful enough. As the creature becomes more familiar to movie goers he/she/it becomes proportionally less scary, thus directors employ the talents of 'special effects' artists to add shock value (blood, guts, gore, etc.). Eventually and inevitably the market becomes so saturated with the monster's presence that no amount of red corn syrup or rubber intestines is going to illicit the desired effect. This is when the once terrifying beast becomes an effigy of comic relief. We saw it with Frankenstein ["Frankenstein" to "Horror of Frankenstein" to "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein"]. We saw it with werewolves ["The Wolf Man" to "The Howling" to "Teen Wolf"]. Now we're seeing it with zombies ["Night of the Living Dead" to "Zombie Holocaust" to "Fido"]. Films like Fido and Shaun of the Dead are graphic reminders that the end may be near for those of the 'undead persuasion'. :'(
bbcfloridabound
½ April 10, 2009
Fido was actually pretty cool. If I ever met a Zombie I would want it to be him. I enjoy horror, matter fact its my favorite type of movies, so I am as into it as the next horror buff, Its good to see a little comedy now and again in a horror movie, especially in a Zombie movie, so all you 1 star 2 star horror buffs out there lighten up, enjoy life a little and sit back and laugh and if you have to watch it alone so no one sees you. 4 1/2 stars. HaHaHaHaHa
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ November 24, 2008
"Good dead are hard to find"

In a 1950s-era alternate universe where domesticated zombies play a functional role in society by delivering the milk, carrying the mail, and even helping out with household chores, one boy is about to find out just how big of a personal responsibility "pet" ownership truly is. When the Earth passed through a cloud of space dust and the dead arose from their graves to devour the flesh of the living, it first seemed that all hope for humanity was lost. Society's rapid slide into chaos, however, was soon halted when scientists at a company called ZomCom created a special collar that turned the rampaging animated corpses docile. Now, thanks to ZomCom, everything is under control -- or is it? Timmy Robinson (K'Sun Ray) isn't quite convinced. Quiet and withdrawn, the skeptical young boy spends so much time locked away in his room that he's almost become invisible around the household. His mother Helen (Carrie-Anne Moss) has recently purchased a zombie to help keep things tidy around the house though, and when the creature attempts to engage the curious youngster in a game of catch, a friendship is forged between boy and zombie that finds the amiable gut-muncher nicknamed Fido (Billy Connolly) practically becoming a part of the family. Things take a turn for the worse however, when Fido's collar malfunctions and Timmy's neighbors begin dying in droves. When ZomCom's top zombie control specialist Mr. Bottoms (Henry Czerny) moves in across the street from Timmy, the increasingly complicated situation threatens to place a serious stumbling block in the path of human-zombie relations.

Review
Fido is a cute comedy that deserves wider recognition, especially considering the mainstream crap that is supposed to entertain us these days. As has already been pointed out, this is hardly a real zombie film, but rather a sweet satire that employs the undead to point fingers. While there are necessarily some bloody scenes, there is almost no gore and the way this movie is presented (feel-good 50s style), I can't imagine anyone being actually scared or turned off by Fido & his fellow sufferers.

While the cast is generally good, I felt that Moss and Nelson stood out. The humor is not in-your-face, but rather subdued; there's a lot of attention to detail and I caught myself smiling benignly several throughout the movie. This is certainly no masterpiece of cinema, but it doesn't strive to be - instead, Currie succeeds in delivering a heart-warming black comedy.
gor41
August 31, 2008
Interesting central idea let down by dull scripting and lacklustre performances. It had none of the panache or charm of 'Pleasantsville' at creating the period and lacked wit or insight into the ideas you get in a Romero zombie flick. A missed opportunity.
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
What do you get when you mix Leave It To Beaver, Night Of The Living Dead and Lassie? You get this. Not really what I expected. Although it's clever in execution, its endearing nature left a bad taste in my mouth.
½ June 10, 2007
Bill Robinson: I'd say I'm a pretty darn good father. My father tried to eat me, I don't remember trying to eat Timmy.
Helen Robinson: Bill, just because your father tried to eat you, does that mean we all have to be unhappy... forever?

A wonderfully dark comedy that combines the setting of a 50s sitcom with zombies.

School Children: [singing] In the brain and not the chest. Head shots are the very best.

The world people live in here is a society which has suffered from a zombie war years prior and now, in the 50s people coexist with zombies serving as their workers due to domestication collars.

Young Timmy Robinson's family just got a new zombie servant of their own. Timmy grows fond of the zombie and names him Fido. They have fun together, but soon the zombies collar accidentally shuts off resulting in a death. This causes a series of events leading to more deaths, which is never a good thing. Meanwhile, all Timmy wants to do is play with his zombie friend.

Mr. Bottoms: Is that blood on your zombie?

This is simply the main plot of the movie, what makes it so wonderful is the way it is setup. The 50s backdrop is the setting for a wonderfully colorful world rich with a bright color palette. Its style reminded me of Leave It To Beaver, as well as Edward Scissorhands and Pleasantville. The music is of course right out of an old sitcom as well.

You also have some ingenious casting with comedian Billy Connolly as Fido, getting emotions across through moans. Carrie-Anne Moss as a 50s mom with a twist. Dylan Baker as the dad who had to kill his own father and has since become tuned out from being happy. Tim Blake Nelson as the next door neighbor who uses his zombie for more than just a servant. And then young K'Sun Ray as little Timmy, who acts as a curious young boy.

And despite its playful tone, this movie makes sure to deliver on some gore every now and then. Wonderfully offbeat.

Bill Robinson: Well, she is over sixty-five, Helen, and old people can't be trusted.
[to Mr. Bottoms]
Bill Robinson: Ain't that right?
Mr. Bottoms: Yeah, we've had a lot of trouble with old people.
366weirdmovies
½ June 8, 2008
A shy boy bonds with his zombie Fido in an alternate 1950s universe where a collar turns brain-eating zombies into harmless slaves. Light black comedy where the premise is the star.
June 7, 2008
Freaking hilarious. An improvement over "Shaun of the Dead", and it actually has a nice message to it. Its the most ridiculous plot ever as far as a zombie movie goes, but I laughed hard at some points. Just a great, low-budget, funny zombie comedy.