• R, 2 hr. 19 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fight Club Reviews

Eugene B

June 13, 2014
David Fincher's adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's acclaimed novel is dark, unorthordox and sickly in many ways. Fight Club presents a superb case of strong performances from Norton, Pitt & Bonham Carter along with an intricate presentation, making this a cult film that resonates in today's age of film-making. 4/5
garyX
garyX

October 21, 2006
A yuppie comes under the influence of an enigmatic stranger who encourages him to shed the trappings of modern consumerist life and begin an underground bare knuckle boxing club to rediscover his manhood. The 90s created a whole generation of nihilistic smart asses who found their standard bearer in Tyler Durden. Fight Club was a bit of a phenomenon upon its release and it seemed to speak to the the disenfranchised youth of Generation X in a way that nothing had before and being one such example, I hailed it as a masterpiece as did many others. Looking back, it's really far more a smug indie comedy than serious drama and I can't quite believe that anyone really took it seriously. It was for all intents and purposes the death knell of said generation even though we didn't really see it at the time, Palahniuk was showing us the ultimate futility of that way of thinking. It's amusing how a charismatic self styled guru can create such a cult of personality (which is no doubt how many forms of organised extremism find their way into existence) and Brad Pitt cuts a very imposing and frankly hilarious figure as Durden. In fact the whole thing smacks of the kind of creativity in all areas that we rarely see in mainstream cinema and as such is still well worth seeing. But I can't help feeling that Fight Club was the logical extension of Project Mayhem itself; a practical joke that people took way too seriously!
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Damn some people really missed the whole point of this movie. Most people either can't or won't recognize the brilliant satire behind this film (yes Ebert, that means you).

For me, it's just as good as the Chuck Palahniuk book it's based on. The story of this potent work follows a nameless narrator who deals with his sad, lonely existence by becoming addicted to support groups for issues he doesn't have, but fakes, mostly because he finds the attention comforting. His addiction changes from support groups to underground fighting matches with other disaffected men after he meets the kooky soap salesman Tyler Durden. From there, things really start to spiral, but I'm not saying anymore, as part of the joy is experiencing things unfolding for one's self.

The actors do so well with their characters that it's hard to imagine anyone else playing the parts, and not only that, but they become the characters, and you forget that they are really just actors. Fincher's dark and hypnotic style works perfectly with this material, and the editing is also really good.

This movie isn't really about dudes beating each other up in underground fighting venues. It's a critique of masculinity, being marginalized by society, and a major attack against gross materialism and consumerism. This is catharsis at it's finest.

I first saw this when I was a sophomore in high school the same week I first saw Reservoir Dogs and Taxi Driver, and I was never the same after that. Those three films are what lead me to become the rabid film buff that I am, and the rebellious and disaffected nature of the protagonist here really spoke to me, and I found myself really able to identify with a lot of the stuff going on here.

I suppose the film is perhaps a tad overrated, and, unlike the book, the twist doesn't work quite as well, but even then, this film is a powerful, compelling, and amazing work of art. Also, given the content, it really amazes me (still) that this was a mainstream production.

Bottom line, this is a must see.
Dr114
Dr114

July 8, 2012
An absolutely brilliant thrill ride of a movie. Its one of those mind benders where the more you think about it, the greater it gets. Its funny, brutal, sadistic and a true masterpiece. One of my favorites.
Jan Marc M

January 31, 2013
Topping my personal list of favorite movie endings of all time, Fight Club (1999, USA) is an adaptation from a Chuck Palahniuk novel of the same name that scolds and retaliates. Delivering a dark yet comical philosophy, Fight Club is revolutionary - dare say way ahead of its time, perhaps also in our time. A brilliant masterpiece of modern cinema.
UUd I

November 7, 2011
Bizarre, disturbing, yet brilliant and engaging, Fight Club is an achievement in modern cinema that should be at least appreciated for the risks it takes, the complexity of its plot, and the ingenious structure of its film editing
Matthew Samuel M

November 24, 2012
Bizarre, grotesque, disturbing, yet brilliant and engaging, Fight Club is an achievement in modern cinema that should be at least appreciated for the risks it takes, the complexity of its plot, and the ingenious structure of its film editing.
Josh L

January 21, 2008
An absolutely brutal movie with an acid trip of a storyline, but one you simply cannot look away from. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton give standout performances and David Fincher's direction is very good, but there are some puzzling elements added into the story that I thought took away from the experience just a little. It's most certainly a wild ride and one that isn't easily forgotten. Just prepare yourself to get your mind messed with while your gut turns away from some of the extreme violence.
Market Man
Market Man

August 24, 2012
A little overrated. To be honest, I did not care for the ending at all. It kind of ruined the rest of the film for me. I'm talking about the twist, but what happens to the city is pretty stupid as well. But everything before the twist is very entertaining. Not really sure why this film is worshiped so much... is it because it's dark and has cool dialogue?
Carlos M

June 10, 2012
Fight Club represents the desperate cry of the consumerist modern man for something to put out the anxiety and conformism of his life - taking shape in a brutal, over-violent anarchy of religious echoes. A dangerous movie for the mainstream audience, who will certainly misunderstand its brilliant, powerful statement.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

May 10, 2012
David Fincher has made a successful career with a few but powerful titles, like 'SE7EN' and 'The Social Network'. However, his most recognised and well respected film is 'Fight Club'. His direction has lead to a dark and intense picture which is based around the ideas of mayhem and anarchy. This hard hitting film stars Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter. With the unexpecting twist, you must believe the hype created by those who suggest it. This is a must watch and is one of the most unique yet greatest films of all time.
Adriel L

May 7, 2012
Violently liberating. It is too powerful in its themes, and the philosophical backbone just might be too much for everyone else, but it's there to great effect, a wild journey through the ills of our existence. An unforgettable impression. Fight Club's gun points straight at you, and forced to examine your life and your eventual death. It is nauseating.
Joe M

October 16, 2011
The message is simple. Get off your ass and go do something so you don't end up like one of the aimless brainwashed followers in this movie. Too bad most people misinterpret the real meaning of this essentially dark comedy.
Lady D

March 22, 2007
Fincher's 'Fight Club' rightly takes it's place in popular film history as a classic must see. It had many levels and layers to it, which seem deeper each time I view it. The attention to detail, the transformation in Ed Norton's character, the growth in power, the bigger picture, the manipulation all crafted toward a brilliant conclusion.

The twisted plot gives first time viewers unpredictability and multiple viewers a sense of familiarity even though I can still pick up on something different each time.

My favourite quote of the film, which seems to sum the plot up well: "It's only when we've lost everything, we are free to do anything'.
paul o.
paul o.

December 29, 2011
When I was in 9th grade, I watched Fight Club and at the end I understood why its such a cult classic. The cinematography is gritty, the story is awesome, and Brad Pitt is at his finest. The fight is not always physical but in this case mental. Its replay value is pretty high in my opinion and a great way to connect with any guy.
Nathan H.
Nathan H.

December 13, 2011
First rule and second rule forbid me from saying more...