71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Filly Brown Reviews

August 20, 2013
Majo (Gina Rodriguez - Go For It!) is a young Los Angelina with flair-to-spare and an unquestionable musical talent for rhythm and rhyming who dreams of making it big in the hip-hop music world so that she can help better provide for her hardworking father and younger sister as her family has struggled to make ends meet following a betrayal they all suffered at the hands of a selfish mother whose addictions and double-dealings with dangerous criminals imperiled her very own family's well-being. A cast of primarily unknown (and primarily Latino) actors stars in the gritty, urban drama Filly Brown. Filly Brown becomes the adopted moniker of Majo -- itself short for Maria Jose -- as she tries to capitalize on the wild success of a heartfelt, single (rather impromptu -- and rather catchy) song after she signs with a hustler of a record producer who promises her the world ... in order to get her signature so that HE can start making some money off of her. Majo begins her "journey" as guileless and na´ve believing that most people are good and that others are always looking out for the best interests of everyone else. It is unfortunate -- but necessary for this predictable movie -- that Filly Brown does not quickly realize the truth of what is going on around her as she visits her mother in prison (the late banda singer-songwriter, Jenni Rivera in her first-and-only feature film performance) and readily takes her advice over that of her steadfast father (Lou Diamond Phillips - Courage Under Fire) and others who have actually always looked out for Majo. It doesn't make a lot of sense why Majo does some of the things she does -- she's rather contradictory for the sole purpose of adding "layers" to the film. Like the character, Filly Brown would like to be good and respected but it is hard to do so when it is all manipulated. Very little feels as if it is spontaneously happening onscreen (or in the film) as it mostly all comes across as scripted. The film's best moments are Filly's few spontaneous bits of musical outburst and some of the scenes featuring Rivera as a frightening mother figure you would not want watching over you at night.
December 12, 2013
Gina Rodriguez's magnetic star
April 19, 2013
For all its heartfelt humanism, the film is marred by a story, situations and stereotypical characters that strike overly familiar chords.
August 7, 2013
tottaly awesome, a must see movie.
August 1, 2013
I really enjoied this movie it gave me a tear :) a must see.
April 21, 2013
By the numbers, but well executed
May 11, 2013
a good movie, with heart.
May 9, 2013
Very believable story. A tug-a-war with identity, ego, and family trauma. This may no appeal to every person who sees it. I read many of the critic's reviews who state the movie as "stereotypical"; however, being Latina myself I felt this movie gave a true heartfelt story of a young girls struggle with family addiction, trauma, culture, and identity. Mojo's father said it best when he stated "I know who I am". According to the US bureau of Justice: Justice Policy Institute Report: 308.7 million people were incarcerated 2010 (how many families is US were effected by this? How many daughters?) . This story is empowering because it's about the unconditional love of a daughter who is in pain because her Mother is in Prison; a daughter who finds her voice through her music while struggling to keep her family together. The only stereotype related to this movie is via the critics; who believe that these issues are not really happening in their own cities.
May 5, 2013
Gina Rodruiguez is wonderful! She follows in the footsteps of Rosie Perez but with more soul instead of humor. Both are wonderful and I'm glad to welcome another Latina breakout star. The story was at times confusing but could be figured out because it's follows in the footsteps of trying-to-make-it-at-any-cost dramas about young talents. It was refreshing to watch the Latin version of this. A good deal. Especially the use of rap as the music de jour!
August 2, 2012
I really really really really enjoyed this movie.
April 23, 2013
the film was very enjoyable to watch, and i think i found an early oscar cotender for best original song.
the cast had some amazing performances, Lou Diamond Phillps haven't had an outstanding performance since Stand and Deliver & La Bamba, so nice to see Lou back. and Gina Rodriguez shines great as well as Jenni Rivera in her final performance.
April 21, 2013
Gina is AMAZING in this film. Everyone needs to see the movie!
April 20, 2013
Filled with lots of "Musical Energy" and good acting, "Filly Brown" is a movie that is inspirational in a way, and sad to say, Jenni Rivera's last film.
April 20, 2013
Gina's groundbreaking performance is inspiring and helps us forget about the messy script.
April 11, 2013
FILLY BROWN is an inspiring and gritty portrait of a young artist's striving to find her voice and seize her dreams without compromise. Majo Tonorio, a.k.a. "Filly Brown,"
April 11, 2013
I'm so going to see this movie been waiting for it to come out ever since Jenni mention it on her show...n now since she is gone mi reina de la Banda...us as her fans we gotta make this happen for her..RIP JENNI RIVERA UNFORGETTABLE BBY
April 3, 2013
I want to see this movie because the trailer but I see it's very good if you do not see it that way but I like