Film Geek Reviews

½ July 12, 2011
One of the more creative films to scope the world of film geeks, nerds, connoisseurs, and experts, most of the online film community can relate to the story of Scotty Pelk: Completely obsessed with film, Scotty can only communicate with people through the art form, and though his expertise is of the highest level, he is ridiculed throughout the film for his pestering and endless awkwardness with other people. In his spare time, it's all about film. Even when it's his day off he goes back to the video store; suggestions for a date invariably come back to film; all forms of conversation, you guessed it, are film related. Watching his exploits becomes painful as he is fired, mistreated, and blocked out of every societal standard possible. Though there is a spot of romance, the girl he goes after is visibly reluctant, which we're not sure the effervescent Scotty is even aware of, or if he chooses to live in his fantasy world, constructed of video tapes lying around his tiny apartment. The ending is by far the best part, a fantasy all film buffs and geeks have, and yet there's a Shyamalian twist that is both comical and sadly dark. I hope this is not what normal people compare us to, but it is fun to watch, geeking out at the multiple film references and scenes of desperation.
blkbomb
July 9, 2011
Film Geek is too depressing to be enjoyed. It was ok for awhile, but then it seemed like they were just trying to fit as many references to movies, directors, and actors as they could in an hour and fill the rest of the movie with the lead jacking off. There's really no need for it and absolutely no point to it. The ending is absolutely disastrous and brought my rating down another half star.

There are a few good things about it though. It is at times funny, but it's jokes do become tiresome after about half an hour. Melik Malkasian is pretty good at playing the annoying film geek. I just didn't enjoy the character enough for his performance to have that big of an influence on me. The third thing that is good about it is that it's short. If it was any longer, it would be impossible to get through.
½ March 16, 2008
I like this indie comedy, as I actually laughed at it. The lead actor is fantastic at playing a socially clueless film savant. This guy epitomizes geek, moreso than he resembles any cinephiles I know. I wish this guy were real, as he can do "six degrees of kevin bacon" in any number of degrees and with virtually anyone you can think of. He also has an exact memory of scenes, so he'd be really good to say to: "Have you seen this type of scenario before?" and then he would state in chronological order any movies containing such a scene, and probably even the minute/second mark where the scene begins and ends. Basically, Scotty epitomizes what all of us here are doing: saying "this movie is awesome because..." and posting it to the internet in hopes someone will find it worthwhile. The primary difference, however, is that you probably don't know a fraction of what he does about movies, but you do know about some things that are not film-related. Like Scotty, you probably do subsist off of cereal, have lists for all your fav directors, and you know that a widescreen aspect ratio is superior to a 4:3 AR as the latter "compromises the director's vision". You've also probably been to a party, had a beer, smoked a splif, or talked to an attractive sexual partner, but Scotty hasn't, so he is accidentally forced into a world where he does experience these things after he loses his video store job. This is a specific (and subjective) positive: throughout the movie, we get to see (from behind) Scotty wanking into his sink several times to indicate plot development, and each time a little more ass and skin gets shown, the actor does have a very doable bum and for the last shot we finally get a better glimpse at convulsing crack.
This movie is on netflix autowatch, so if you're in a mood for a (funny) comedy or want to be reminded
of some great movies you have yet to watch, check out Film Geek, but beware that the ending is not a typical indie downer.
February 12, 2012
Very Independent, in the sense that it is seemingly low budget. but that doesn't make it a bad film
though the acting it mediocre at best.
In the end: i would recommend seeing it if you are bored at home and have nothing better to do.
January 11, 2010
It has some cute bits, but honestly the ending threw me a little, just because it's a bit too easy, but this was a fun way to kill just over an hour, and the lead is truly convincing as the socially retarted video nerd.

Worth a look.
November 25, 2009
Nicely done, good job with a low budget. Appealing performances, short, sweet and at times very funny, as well as touching. It?s very simple and doesn?t pretend to be anymore than it is.
December 8, 2008
Being a film buff myself, this was one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. A little vulgar at times, but good all the same. Anyone who enjoys watching LOTS of movies should watch this one.
½ February 15, 2008
Meh, it was OK. The scenes of him masturbating into the sink... not so necessary. Ridiculously happy ending... even less necessary.

I could see this working better a short film.
January 6, 2008
Really thought I was going to like it. The premise is certainly right up my alley: a guy obsessed with movies who doesn't have much of a life outside of it. And I was initially willing to give the character of Scotty Pelk the benefit of the doubt. Yes, it was clear it would be tough working with him; yes, he was certainly annoying; yes, he was fairly severaly emotionally stunted. But he was a nice enough guy, such as asking customers at the video store if they needed help even when he wasn't working. But he's treated poorly by nearly every single character in the cast, and there is absolutely no character development. In a way, I guess, the other characters developed in terms of accepting Scotty for who he is, but this was merely a superficial acceptance, and there's no redemption for Scotty's mistreatment by those who have treated him harshly. His future looks bleak as he doesn't seem capable of change if things go wrong. And the last shot of the movie made it unclear if Scotty even found success at all. Overall, I guess this is a fantasy for those of us who obsess over movies, but if Scotty Pelk represents me, oh man. That's depressing.
½ September 12, 2007
This starts out interestingly enough, but the film ultimately doesn't go anywhere or attempt any answers ~ worse yet it looks like the budget ran out because the ending is thrown-together and sloppy.
½ April 1, 2007
This film started strong... It was poignant and irreverent... But it seemed to lose its footing towards the end with the overly happy ending that didn't quite feel earned.
½ February 12, 2007
The character was so lame and sad that you feel bd about some of the things that happen to him. OVerall just a really different movie.
November 9, 2006
Overtly annoying, the ending was ridiculous and uncomfortable to watch, bad film with bad characters talking about great films.
July 20, 2012
I'll Never Get Tired Of Loving Movies And It's The Only Art Form I'm Interested In And That I Like.
June 4, 2013
Begins with promise, but then falls into a predictable and pointless mess. I actually started liking this movie because of the protagonist. That's me right there, except not as anti-social and weird. I'm the guy people come to for movie recommendations and I'm the guy that pulls out the obscure directors and even screenwriters. I know most of the Best Picture winners of for sure the past forty years, and I can tell you a good amount of the nominees. I watch at least three movies a week and have seen more movies than the average person twice my age. I know the trivia, I love talking about movies, and I know film, and the beginning of this movie really showed that interesting and unique obsession. But then once the love interest comes into play, it becomes a predictable and completely stupid story that you can already tell where it's headed. I really thought I would enjoy this one.
May 14, 2013
Surprisingly heartwarming, despite the insufferable nature of the main character. I found myself rooting for him toward the end.
May 7, 2013
He looks like a cross between Barney Fife and Forrest Gump and sounds just like Beavis & Butthead. What's not to like? OK, I'm kidding, but if you can get past the idea that this is NOT someone you'd like to be stuck in a room with, this film is in the fine tradition of PeeWee's Great Adventure and Pennies From Heaven--Geek Made Good. It's a "feel good" movie, because if someone like this does ok, you feel like you could, too. . . .And of course, the last shot brings us back to reality.
February 7, 2013
Strictly for film lovers.
July 21, 2012
Not a great film, but if you're a film geek yourself the relatability factor is through the roof.
½ April 18, 2011
This movie has a lot of heart, an endearing main character, and a surprisingly believable love story. So why do we have to see the main character masturbate into his sink not once, but FOUR TIMES?