Film socialisme - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Film socialisme Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ January 23, 2012
A frustrating, impenetrable film essay full of scenes that are either fragmented or dull, revolving around people on a cruise ship, a couple running for office in the French countryside, and side trips to Palestine, Egypt, etc... If young film punks made a mean-spirited, mocking parody of contemporary avant-garde film, the results would look a lot like this. You may well be sick and tired of the shallowness and bourgeois sensibilities of film capitalisme, but FILM SOCIALISME should convince you that things could be much worse.
August 18, 2010
Coldly isolationist, random, and purposely impossible to follow.
June 30, 2013
Godard's best film in over a decade. The first 3rd is a totally staggering comment on modern day Europe and consumer society. The 2nd half is a bit rambling and simplistic but fascinating to experience. The last 3rd takes us back to the beginning with even more depth and soul. Wonderful to see such an ambitious piece of cinema from this master.
June 8, 2012
Typical Godard. Hard on the brain. Fuck you for trying to comprehend this nonsense. Still... better than anything I've seen in cinema houses this year.
½ June 16, 2011
I had always liked godard for the most part, not my fave director by any means, but if you went into his films with the right mind set, i was usually able to enjoy them, not with this tho, I was never going to like a film like this, one with no story at all, hardly any dialogue, and just random images pretty much, i know there's a point to it all, but i just found it to be pretentious and damn near unbearable to sit through
June 9, 2011
Star ratings are pretty much beside the point, because you've never really seen anything like this. Sure, if you're familiar with late-period Godard, you will not be taken completely off-guard. But if you're expecting something resembling common drama -- and if you don't speak any French -- it's probably going to be a waste of your time.
½ June 1, 2011
Jean-Luc Godard set out to craft an avante-garde cinematic essay on the decline of the European Union, and the result is an utterly impenetrable conglomeration of disjointed images and scattershot thoughts that never add up to anything. In FILM SOCIALISME, Godard's head is buried firmly up his ass. It's one of the worst films of the year.
½ October 1, 2015
This is the worst movie I have ever seen.
½ January 6, 2015
The competition is huge, but maybe the worst of Godard's last 40 year
October 9, 2014
Has Godard ever been so self-absorbed with his own work before? I don't believe so.
½ December 19, 2013
It's a joke but a painful one.
½ December 3, 2013
This movie is a distinct emphasis on experimental, "Socialisme" is suited solely for cinema students -- really. Mostly in French, with few and quirky subtitles, often out of focus, and overall plot-free, "Socialisme" is an effort to explore how alterations to the audio and picture affect t...read morehe meaning of a cinematic work. Answer: Lots. What does a viewer take away from screening this project? What you already knew about the effects of audio and picture on a cinematic work. You will see some memorable moments that will be of use in crafting your own projects, or when screening other works (Mr Godard, after all, is the Director), but unless you are a groupie (like Film Grrrl) you will find "Socialisme" unapproachable.
October 24, 2013
Godard is he living antitheses of Claude Lelouch and just for that his movie are worth watching! Film Socialism does what almost all Godard's movies do... makes you use your brain. For some it will be painful, for others a jump in the emptiness and for the happy ones a great learning moment! The use of video images is a bit too much for me, and the editing is rough, but, in the end, its a good knock on the established habits of foolish story telling. Thanks Mr G.
June 30, 2013
June 8, 2013
The stars mean nothing. This is not a movie.
½ June 18, 2012
To quote Roger Ebert from his review of North: I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it.
½ April 1, 2013
Souls trapped in digital. The deconstruction of reality via the video camera.

And the real kicker is that Jean-Luc does away with the subtitles, leading to the scratching of heads everywhere. Outrageous fits of anger abound. Hmm, might I suggest that when you said you wanted films that were "original", "unique" and "challenging", what you really wanted was the same old, same old?

But that's not why the film is great. Its visually evocative, aurally fascinating and conceptually bold and brave. It has a wicked sense of humour. It truly does deconstruct reality. Our lives are all trapped in a digital dreamworld, and its terrifying. And no one can understand the implications.

When Godard cuts the narrative, the throughline if you will, the lifeline if you will, the audience sinks and drowns. Good old Jean-Luc might propose that we've already sunk. We were sunk before we even hit the water.
½ February 17, 2013
Have never watched anything as pretentious - and yet empty - as this.
½ February 14, 2013
This was insanely boring. Do not waste 2 hours of your life with this.