• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 23, 2009
CAST: Matthew Broderick, Maura Tierney, Brittany Snow, Peter Facinelli

SUMMARY: A television producer with a penchant for drinking and gambling is sent to Las Vegas to convince his troubled niece to enter rehab.

MY THOUGHTS: "It was much funnier then I had expected it to be. The topics are pretty heavy, but talked about in a dark humor kind of way that makes the issues less serious then what they really are. I guess if you want to find humor in prostitution, gambling, and alcoholism then this is the movie for you. I will say in the end he does say some deep meaningful words to her and that's when it's not so funny anymore. The ending is what I expected and predicted it would be. So see this for a good laugh if nothing else. Matthew Broderick was funny, and Brittany Snow really made the Uncle and Niece relationship extra special awkward. Good rent for a lazy day."
Nicki M

November 23, 2008
This was much better than I expected. Funny in a dark way and quite moving as well.
Leigh R

August 25, 2009
Hilarious and awkward. My kind of funny...
Alice S

July 19, 2008
I have just one word to describe this movie: nice. It's a really nice movie. And I mean that without a trace of irony. Brittany Snow is darling. No irony in that either.
Luke B

July 9, 2008
This film works so wonderfully every bit of it is successful. First of the script is alive with punchy witty quips especially from Broderick. Broderick is fantastic in his best role since Election, it's also quite similar in tone. Snow is also incredible in probably her best role to date. Her Amanda is not the average miserable prostitute. She's happy in her profession, enjoys the life she leads and so forth. She's so damn cute as well and the chemistry she shares with her Uncle is spot on with the correct amount of uncomfortable anter and genuine affection. The film is a morality tale but one that gets the chaarcters to judge themselves rather than manipulate us into how we shoul feel. Steve Coogan also has time to pop in for some hilarious banter with Broderick. Smart, enjoyable and certainly moving.
SC007
SC007

December 26, 2010
While the trailer for the film looks really good, the film itself disappoints. The film needed a major rewrite. There was a few funny scenes in the film. Matthew Broderick, Maura Tierney, and Brittany Snow were wasted in this film. The best thing in the film is Steve Coogan. He is hilarious in ever scene that he is in. He steals the film.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

November 21, 2010
A somewhat-recovering drug user/drinker/ gambling addict Taylor (Matthew Broderick) hoping to redeem himself in the eyes of his fed-up wife (Maura Tierney) takes a trip to Vegas to ostensibly "rescue" his niece Brittany Snow (the titular Amanda) from a life of prostitution and instead heads straight for the casino, after having promised his wife that the trip was "NOT" about gambling. He soon discovers that bubbly and cheerful Amanda is deliriously happy with her life of prostitution and living with her leech of a boyfriend (Peter Facinelli) who cheats on her. Also starring Steve Coogan as a sleazy casino host who becomes Taylor's chief enabler! The main theme of the movie is denial - all characters lie to each other and especially to themselves about almost every respect of their lives.

This movie is described as a comedy but I actually found it kind of sad as our main character is sliding down a slippery slope, even as he pounds down drinks on the casino floor and is eventually cut off from his cash source by the Coogen and Amanda seems far too happy and carefree to be a person from a traumatic background; it seems the actual horrors of prostitution-drug addiction, abuse, poverty hasn't afflicted her.
Yinalí R

April 3, 2010
A gambling addicted uncle, and a niece who's all into working as a hooker. Maybe you think that it could mix up into some kind of a dark humor style in it, like an indie for example; well you're wrong.

I have to say that Finding Amanda had very little significance in general. It started off as if it could have been an interesting and entertaining movie. But overall, it blows all it's chances away. It became boring; making no sense at all. I don't recommend it to anyone.
iLeo
iLeo

July 26, 2008
Crazy funny! Here's an interesting movie with a bit of a twist. Matthew Broderick stars.
June 21, 2011
Forgettable, like Matthew Broderick's Career.Don't waste your time on this one, nothing convincing about these performances at all
September 5, 2011
well I thought this might b a romantic rom-com but what I got was a black comedy in which broderick in his everyman hang dog put upon ( think "election") as an uncle with a lot of issues who goes to vegas to find his niece and bring her back 2 LA to put her in rehab.
iamthethinman
January 24, 2010
When did Matthew Broderick settle in to sad sack roles? I guess he?s been playing these for a while, but he was great in Glory and was supposed to be the iconic ?cool kid? in Ferris Bueller. But I guess it?s because he?s been great in movies like Election (great movie, of course), The Night We Never Met (unsung gem), Addicted to Love (another unsung gem), and The Producers (I guess not sad sack, but kind of). He so understated in other roles that it?s either great acting or empty writing. This movie has an interesting storyline and funny situations, but it plays out a little tepid.

Broderick is great and the girl is also pretty good. But the movie seems like it borders on slapstick when it is wholly rooted on real world humor. Still, it is entertaining enough with good humorous spots, but never really carries over the mood. It?s worth a watch, as it?s still better than 75% of the comedies out there. And Broderick just does this role better than just about everyone. But can you imagine him in a movie role like Moon (though Rockwell was perfect for that role)? I can see him in it, and not being bad at it. Give him a chance.
carlivit
September 19, 2009
The cast isn't bad and this has some good moments, but basically this is a mediocre sitcom episode stretched to an hour and a half. Broderick, Snow, and Tierney aren't bad but they can't save the script.
June 4, 2009
Brittany Snow likes to play a whore or something. It wasn't as much of a comedy as they made it out to be in the trailers.
beastboy91
April 19, 2009
I was somewhat reluctant to seeing this film because of the reviews..but i gave it a shot, and im really glad i did. Broderick is pretty much what you'd expect, while Snow kind of scares the living crap out of you. But, as the movie progresses, you really do feel for the characters as they deal with the emotional baggage of addictions. Half-way, you almost forget your in a comedy as it shifts into more of a dramatic tone, but are then knocked off your feet as the movie comes to its hilarious conclusion. Overall, a great lighthearted comedy that reminded me a bit of Dan in Real Life: After your done watching it, you feel full, not stuffed.
AbnormallyAttractedToSin
March 24, 2009
Although a very wordy movie, it was interesting with goos performances by both Matthew Broderick and Brittany snow. Worth a watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon..
gms1yygy
November 2, 2008
An uncle who's an adict (alcohol and gambling) tries to rescue a niece who's a well paid prostitute in Las Vegas. Some funny stuff; lots of serious looks at both their issues. The cover says "viciously funny"; it isn't. It also says "Ferris Bueller going through a mid-life crisis"; it isn't that either. Broderick is good and so is Snow. It's a good movie, but not a comedy.
July 1, 2008
Disappointed in this movie because I thought it would be good since Matthew Broderick & Brittany Snow were in it. She just seemed a force for this character & he just wasn't all that funny.
June 8, 2008
A man(Matthew Broderick) with a huge gambling problem, goes to Vegas to try and help his hooker niece. But can he keep his addictions under control?
Thought the ending could have been different, but it probably ended the way it should of. Pretty good acting by all.
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas?!
August 29, 2011
i was expecting this to be awesome seeing as matthew broderick was in it but they wasted his talent in this