20% The Identical Sep 05

First Snow Reviews

sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 12, 2007
this was an intense film. everytime i see piper perablo on screen i like her more, and guy pearce is going to be a great actor for a considerable period of time. this film was creative and different, but ultimately the story wasnt intriguing enough to make it worth while. i enjoyed it, but it was fairly bland and didnt offer much more than a little entertainment value.
Edward B

April 8, 2007
It's engaging enough, but it never hits any real payoff.
maxthesax
maxthesax

September 23, 2008
An interesting premiss with some nice cinematography gets bogged down by suppositions and some absurd plot contrivances, making me feel uninvolved and being dragged along by the plot, forced to follow, but not engaged in the film, as Pierce's charactor's life spirals out of control, mainly by his own actions.

At the core I kept asking myself, if I believed I was to die come the first snow, would I spend my few precious days running around trying to figure out who and how he was going to die, so that he could prevent it? Sounds counter intuitive to me; the psychic never said he could change his fate, so why did he think that he could?

In the end, he survives all that he thought could harm him, but in doing so, put himself in the wrong place at the wrong time; whether he would have been killed anyway, somewhere else, is a matter for speculations on fate and destiny; which I surmise is what the director had in mind, but a more focussed script would have made the journey a lot more satisfying.
jagfire
jagfire

August 10, 2008
A slept on flick. Guy Pearce is a beast.
Bannan i

June 13, 2008
This was a movie...that you either like or don't..as with any other, however it also might appeal to those who delve a little deeper into the subject at hand. I almost skipped rie over this flick, but somehow I'm glad that I didn't at all.

First of all, with having a fine of William Fichnter and Guy Pearce it already caught my attention...but this is a little bit about what you might come to expect.

This is a story about Jimmy Starks, some smooth-talking saleman who is convinced he's gonna make it big soon. His car comes to stall in the middle of some little desert town, he doesn't seem all that fazed. To kill time while the local mechanic fixes the car he goes into the bar and grabs some food and a drink...the whole time trying to convince the bar-tender to buy some kind of jukebox. Losing interest in the place, he wanders a bit aways from various venders when he comes to a small trailer where a man, J.K. Simmons, has a sign stating 'fortunes told'. Jimmy, slightly interested about what would happen naturally goes in fro a reading. What happens next is something very strange after telling him that betting on the winning basketball team isn't in his favour and that he'll make it big from Dallas, Texas...the foretune teller all of a sudden has a spasm. And then sends the salesman on his way, naturally trying to figure out what it was he hands him more money...but the teller will have nothing more to say.

He finally gets home and everything seems to be going quite normal and in his favour...until some strange things occur. Coincidences, even! Finally, curious after something a little worry-some occurs he heads back and learns that the teller sees 'no more roads, no more'. Agitated to be hearing this, he presses the man to tell him when and for how long? The teller finally assures him that he won't make it till the first snow.

As he gets back home, the feeling eats at him as simultaneously those 'dead calls' from telemarketers turn out to be something a little more foreboding...and when he gets a nice little package in the mail...Jimmy slowly travels into a downward spiral.

He becomes increasingly more paranoid, separating himself from his friends, work and even his girlfriend. He's shackled wondering if his past is coming back to haunt him and for good reason too.

Then, as the weather progressively gets colder and colder Jimmy becomes more and more worried...and takes measures into his own hands to ensure the first snow won't have anything to do with 'no more roads to travel'.

For the most part, I found this movie alright...and being that I absolutely adore Guy Pearce's acting...it wasn't hard to keep watching. There was just something about this film that really caught me off guard. One of those movies that slide under the radar..and take a long time to unravel the plot at hand. Once again, subjective...but it might make you wonder yourself...not about fortune tellers or first snows...but about 'fate' and what it has to do with humanity, itself.
puffchunk
puffchunk

April 27, 2008
Entertaining, but nothing exceptional. Love that J.K. Simmons.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 23, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"First Snow" starts with fast talking salesman Jimmy Starks'(Guy Pearce) car breaking down in the middle of nowhere. With little else to do, he checks in with the local soothsayer(J.K. Simmons). After Jimmy returns to the city and his girlfriend Deirdre(Piper Perabo), who makes him feel 20 years younger probably due to the energetic sex, he finds that the two predictions were eerily accurate. He returns to find out what so disturbed the oracle when they first met. It seems he saw Jimmy die and that it will happen sometime around the first snow...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"First Snow" begins promisingly enough but does nothing new with a plot that has been around since Ancient Greece.(While none of us can escape our fate, we can however make life interesting in the interregnum.) Basically, there is less substance(pretty much all red herrings) than the average episode of "The Twilight Zone," which it sort of resembles, especially concerning the supporting characters and a central conflict that comes out of left field. What it desperately needed was a kicker to give the movie desperately needed irony. It is a shame because the movie wastes some nice photography and a good cast notably J.K. Simmons who perfectly conveys the pain of how his character has been cursed, not blessed. [/font]
SC007
SC007

January 4, 2009
An amazing performance by Guy Pearce makes this independent psychological drama/thriller worth seeing. Pearce gives one of his best performances since Memento. He plays a salesman who is told by a psychic that something bad is gonna happen to him soon. He has to try to figure out what will happen to him and try to prevent him. J.K. Simmons of Spiderman films is also great as the psychic and Piper Perabo is also good as Pearce's girlfriend. Great screenplay. I definitely recommend this film.
kylemydude
kylemydude

May 13, 2010
A very interesting thriller with the allways great Guy Pearce, written by two of the writers of Children of Men and Iron Man, one of which directed this film. This film really had potential, but somehow got lost along the way. There are some very suspenseful parts, but not enough to make the movie as a whole.
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 19, 2007
A nice indie movie. It's scary but not in a horror film way, in more subtle way.
Jason S

February 18, 2008
Promised a lit but didnt deliver. Interesting idea but a bit boring and I didn't care for the characters.
iamthethinman
June 7, 2010
This was an interesting movie, but I can?t say a good one. It?s about the breakdown of a man and how his life unravels after a fateful moment. With this movie really being an off-kilter drama based in The Duke City about a man going crazy, it immediately reminded me of Breaking Bad. That probably made me like this movie less, which is unfair. However, it doesn?t suffer from great visuals or performances.

Guy Pearce needs more work. He?s brilliant. Why isn?t he as popular as Russell Crowe? He?s what this movie needs because everything else is so subtle. Even the resolution is easy to miss. And I don?t think that is the way to get a movie, plot or points of emphasis noticed by people. And that?s why I tuned out so often with this movie. It?s not a new concept, and not told in a unique way, so the subtle scenes just tended to lose me.
busterp
September 8, 2009
Another mystical, strange movie. Guy Pearce is starting to become recognizable to me - he's been in many movies I've seen. Piper Perabo (Coyote Ugly) is also in this.
jscottcorley
August 14, 2009
Unsatisfying. Seemed like it might have been recut at some point. Suffered drastic changes in theme and story. I was expecting the end to be a big payoff and it was really nothing new.
June 8, 2008
Certainly not the best film I've ever seen, but considering I just watched it to see all the Albuquerque locations, I actually ended up taking interest in the story. Nothing special, but a nice showcase for Guy Pearce.
Hamee
December 4, 2007
This movie was a little slow, but in the end worth watching. The question you have to ask yourself at the end is 'Could this all have been avoided by never going to the fortune teller?' It is a very important question to ask yourself while watching this movie. The only reason he turns into a paranoid maniac is because he bought into what he was told would happen to him which is what led him to the friend he betrayed which leads to his almost dying.
flixsterbum
January 27, 2008
A pretty taut entertaining suspenser with a great performance by the always watchable Guy Pearce and a great understated performance by J.K. Simmons. The suspense builds up nicely, with shades of "Memento" when Pearce is holed up in a motel room. The psychic angle worked well, and I would have enjoyed it even more except for a pretty weak ending in an otherwise enjoyable film.
December 6, 2007
I thought it was a very unique plot and i enjoyed watching the film. It ended on an interesting note that wasn't very satisfying as i would have liked. I didn't fully understand the ending and whether or not anyone actually died other than Vince. but i guess when i get a chance to see it again I'll watch more carefully.
cojensen
July 17, 2007
A mixed bag. It is a little to slow paced for its own good adn the main character is hard to like (which makes the emotional arc hard to care about )