64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Fitzcarraldo Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

July 10, 2009
This is art. This is visual lyric poetry. This is a portrait of desire, obsession, passion at its best.

Barry Fitzgerald, who goes by Fitzcarraldo, is a would be rubber baron determined to bring high culture to Peru by building an opera house in the middle of the jungle, even if it means the potentially suicidal task of hauling a massive steamship over a mountain. Despite the danger, he will not stop, as his obsession is something that seemingly cannot be sated. What really makes the film captivating is how Herzog's determination to make the film using real people, no models, and a full scale real ship mirrors that of the character. This just might be the most amazing portrait of ambition ever.

This is not a flawless or perfect film though. It is maybe just too long, too meandering at times, but even then, there is no denying that this film exists on a plane all its own. There are no directors that can be compared to Herzog. Terrence Malick, maybe. But even then, Herzog is truly one of a kind. Kinski is brilliant- a little more restrained than I anticipated, but still very driven and determined to make his dreams come true nonetheless.

It's a pity films are not, and will not ever be made like this again, but one could only hope that, even if they can't reach the same level as Herzog, they could still try.
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

August 10, 2012
It still hasn't ended...
axadntpron
axadntpron

August 23, 2011
This film is exhausting to watch due to it's immense scale. Herzog, much like the character that Kinski portrays, must have been absolutely mad when creating a film of this magnitude. While it is not the most exciting film to watch, it is certainly worth the experience. Heck, when is a Herzog/Kinski collaboration not worth your time?
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 15, 2009
I'm in awe of the amount of time and effort that it must have taken to make this film possible. It is man against nature on the grandest of scales. A contrast of lace and mud. Fitzcarraldo is a study of the line between modern society and the last outposts of frontier. The story of a man who dreams of bringing opera to the jungles of South America. I'm not sure if I understand director Werner Herzog's motivation but I certainly admire his stamina.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
An amazing achievement and an amazing story, and that's just what happened behind the camera. This is not my favourite Herzog film, in fact, I'm more interested in the making of the film than the film itself, but that said, it?s still one of the greatest films ever made!
ebs90
ebs90

September 1, 2007
I was finally able to watch Fitzcarraldo! And it didn't disappoint me at all in spite of my very high expectations.
All in all this is one of those epic movies made by visionaries that come only once in a blue moon.
Brian Sweeny Fitzgerald is a railroad builder in Iquitos, a Peruvian town of multimillionaire rubber producers. His dream is to build a majestic Opera House there, and for Caruso and Sarah Bernhardt to sing on the opening night. Unfortunately, the railroad business is not too prosperous and since he cannot find any investors he must find an unoccupied portion of nearby jungle to start producing his own rubber and collect some funds for his dream.

The task is not as easy as it seems... there's a reason why those lands remain unexploited, but i won't give the whole thing away :) just keep in mind it all involves dragging a ship up a hill from one river to another.

Everything about Fitzcarraldo is grandieuse and mad. Werner Herzog actually built 3 real ships to shoot the movie, and actually dragged one of them over the hills. So who's madder, Fitzcarraldo or Herzog?
There's something empowering and exciting about this determined man playing Rigoletto into the Amazonian jungle, and conducting the work of more than a hundred Indians ever impeccable in his white suit and hat. Klaus Kinski is as usual incredible as Fitzcarraldo. He goes from being gentle and meditative into obsessive frenzies with a single change of his facial expression. Claudia Cardinale is also very good although she doesn't have a lot of screen time. I loved the rest of the supporting cast as much as ever in Herzog's movies... people who seemed like they could have actually been the crew of this insane voyage. Herzog also relied on real Indians, not people dressed up with feathers in their hair. It feels like a documentary when it doesn't display scenes of odd and pure cinematic beauty.

Fitzcarraldo is one of those movies that puts stuff like the remake of the Poseidon or Titanic to shame. It's audacious, bizarre, and skillfully made. It alternates between the hilarious and the pathetic with taste. Annd although I prefer "Aguirre" in the category of movies made by Werner Herzog in the Amazon Rain Forest (Kinski's performance is just plain frightening - and I like to be frightened in a healthy way), it shouldn't be missed. A breath of fresh air -courage, authenticity, and bullshit-free eccentricity.
Stephen M

October 28, 2008
Klaus Kinski, Werner Herzog, a boat, the Amazon and a tale of epic folly. Hmmm...sounds familiar! To a certain extent Herzog is revisiting a past glory here, but comparing and contrasting Fitzcarraldo with Aguirre: Wrath of God is one of the great pleasures of watching the movie. Fitzcarraldo, the character, more closely resembles Aguirre's Brother Gaspar de Carvajal than the megalomaniacal conquistador himself; yes, he is desperate for wealth, but only as a means to a philanthropic end: to bring opera to the masses. He's a dreamer who has discovered something wonderful and just has an overwhelming desire to share it; Fitzcarraldo is really a missionary, the secular equivalent of de Carvajal, only more zealous and totally incorruptible.

Obviously the highlight of the film is the passage of Fitzcarraldo's steamboat, Molly-Aida, over the mountain, during which Herzog fascinatingly blurs the line between documentary and narrative filmmaking, to the extent where, as one who hasn't seen it, I begin to wonder whether he hasn't effectively rendered Les Blank's companion documentary, loftily entitled Burden of Dreams, at least partly redundant.

Did Herzog have Once Upon a Time in the West in mind when casting Fitzcarraldo? There are certainly echoes of Jill McBain in Molly, the character Claudia Cardinale plays in the film: the prostitute lover of a visionary Irish dreamer. Interesting, too, that Jason Robards, Cardinale's OUATITW co-star, was originally cast as the lead here. Coincidence?
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

May 28, 2008
I must say that this is quite an epic story and the fact that it is based on actual events (al beit loosely) is pretty amazing.

I think what is most impressive is the fact that (with the exception of one model shot) most of this film was made in the traditional way, by using actual props, locations, etc.

While it wasn't as good as I had hoped, it was still an impressive engossing film with a strong cast. And NO ONE does "crazed eccentric" like Klaus Kinski.

I've heard many people say that the film is "too long" and my first response might be to agree. But then when I think about it, I believe the length of some of the scenes are essential in helping to establish the essence of this grueling, dangerous and passionate undertaking.

I'm intrigued to know more about the real story now and to see the documentary (Burden Of Dreams) about the making of this film.
Ken S

July 10, 2007
One of the best movies I have ever seen... a true masterpieces of ambition and obsession...
Pierluigi P

June 27, 2007
Herzog's masterpiece. a deep touching, and bittersweet story of blind hope through the amazon river. phenomenal Klaus Kinski playing an enterprising man with an enormous love for the opera.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 9, 2007
Herzog in a very defining moment. You just can't help to respect a director that takes the risk to pull a real boat trough the jungle while risking the lives of the whole crew. Only because he didn't wanted to trick the audiences with special effects.

Kinski's performance is great as usual, and even quite relaxed, which is a bit ironic considering his behaviour off-screen at that time was the total opposite.
The ammount of anecdotic material surrounding this film is so big it almost eclipses the movie itself, and yet Herzog manages to pull it. Just like the main character of the film, Herzog went on to pursuit his dream of making the film the way he wanted.

Because of that, Fitzcarraldo is a unique cinematic experience. Even for pure filming curiosity anyone with a certain interest in cinema should watch this.
Christopher M

January 10, 2007
One of the most ambitious film projects I've ever seen. Herzog brings us back to the jungle in a film of equal or even greater scope than Aguirre - and like that film, Klaus Kinski delivers an inspired performance as the eccentric entrepreneur who seeks to bring the magic of opera to parts unknown. I love Herzog's direction, much of the film is shot in a very documentary-like way and a lot of what is done here is nothing short of amazing. The score I found hit and miss with me, and a few parts dragged, but there were no major issues - this is a unique piece of cinematic history.
Ryan M
Ryan M

March 3, 2012
**** out of ****

Some people can't make their wildest dreams come true simply because they don't try hard enough. Laziness is an essential part of human nature, yes, but who are we to say that we cannot overcome it? Werner Herzog understood this and was inspired by an Irishman who went by the name of Fitzcarraldo; a resident of Peru, but not necessarily a native. It was this inspiration that led to the making of one of his biggest and most deeply-felt motion pictures yet; "Fitzcarraldo", named after the underappreciated man who was a rare dreamer who sought to make his romanticized visions of heroism and fame reality. I've not seen many films where a dreamer had to endure quite as much as the titular Fitzcarraldo - or Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, if you prefer the name he was born to, or Fitz, as his adoring mistress called him -. But then again, that's the magic of a Herzog film; he can take you to places you've never been to or seen before, for prolonged periods of time, and immerse you in the people that find themselves there. Herzog is a dreamer; this is his grand spectacle.

As the film opens, a man dressed rather fancily in white hat and coat approaches an Opera House with a woman that he has brought along with him. He is Fitzcarraldo (Klaus Kinski), and the woman is Molly (Claudia Cardinale); and they have just come a long ways to see a single show. They are allowed into the House, and we finally understand why Fitzcarraldo was so desperate to attend the performance. After the show, he confronts wealthy individuals who he anticipates might be potential investors or curious parties in regards to his dream - to build a giant opera house in Iquitos, where he is living at the moment. Fitzcarraldo loves the opera, and he allows the music to enter his body at will and circulate right through it; it wouldn't be too hard to believe that he might just have what it takes to turn his passion into something more, something bigger, and something of far greater importance than a mere obsession.

The rich scoff at his dreams, spit in his face, socially; and say he will never succeed in achieving his goals. Fitzcarraldo isn't ready to believe this, but he accepts the reality of the situation; you need money, and you need a lot of business partners. Those are two things that he lacks, and so he cannot build the opera house quite yet. But, he is determined; and so he seeks out resources in the way of Peru's most profitable industry, rubber. Sadly, rubber trees are limited, and he must seek them out for himself if he wishes to make any money off his findings; he will need transportation, and plenty of members within a work force. That is where the iconic steamboat comes in; an impressive vessel that Fitzcarraldo purchases and renovates so that he can make the trip into dangerous territories (and rapids) in order to access the rubber trees. He rounds up a crew, and in no time, he's on his way.

But the waters that he treads are deep and apprehensive. The area is infamous for the primitive tribes that inhabit the shores; perhaps because they haven't let a single soul pass yet. But maybe Fitzcarraldo and his interest in the grand Opera will work a sort of magic on these underdeveloped beings; and so it does. He plays the music once they have invaded the steamer, and almost instantaneously, they sink into a deep, hypnotic trance. Now, they work for Fitzcarraldo and company. But the question still remains: will the boat and the crew be able to survive the unrelenting rapids of the region? Will the rumored spiritual and more diabolical forces be at work, thus preventing the vessel from completing its journey? I don't have all the answers, or at least I don't have a good deal of them for you now, but that's mostly due to my desire to spoil at little about the film as possible. It's the kind that has to be experienced; the same goes for most of Herzog's earlier (and even later) works. He's an incredible man, and this is an incredible movie; it surpasses the level of mere movie magic. It is inspiring, but all too real to resonate with the mainstreamers that typically fall head over heels in love with its kind.

The production was reportedly tense; and it tested the heart and soul of both Herzog and Kinski, who was said to be an unpleasant person to work with, at times. It is said that Kinski would overreact about silly matters off-stage, and that his rage upset the extras that were playing the Indian tribesmen-and-women of the film. But you know what they say: some of the best movies are not easily made, and such is the case here. Though the production and filming were both apparently heart-wrenching in their own little ways, the movie was completed, and so was the steamboat's journey. By the end, we feel both happiness and sadness; happiness, because we have just experienced an honest and down-to-earth portrayal of a mad dreamer, and sadness, because he almost returns home empty-handed. Although then, Herzog makes a bold move and adds on to that conclusion with a few absurd but uplifting images; in which a much happier and more uplifting ending is supplied.

The quality of the film doesn't necessarily matter; as you probably already know it even if you haven't yet seen the actual movie in its entirety. Kinski is, as always, riveting; and Herzog's direction is typically fearless, and his images genuinely moving. Being a film that spans two hours and a half in length, this is a sprawling epic that makes use of one location and many provocative, resonant sights. It's a very scenic sort of movie; not unusual for Herzog, who loves nature and just about everything about it, and I loved how he made use of the wildlife of Peru, such as pigs and fish that will eat large wads of cash. There are also horses that drink beer; although it's a known fact that the creatures love that stuff. Nevertheless, my point is this: Herzog is in touch with all his inner feelings here, and this is one of my all-time favorites, not only from him, but from cinema in a whole. It's a definitive masterpiece that should just about sum up what I love best about the movies; all in due time. There is a documentary on the making of the film titled "Burden of Dreams"; the title defining the message of "Fitzcarraldo". I will see that documentary; because I could use a better understanding of a film that comes with such divine and impeccable whimsy.
Rostron2
Rostron2

July 21, 2010
Another unique film in the Herzog/Kinski collection, Fitzcarraldo tell the almost unbelievable story of one of the craziest schemes ever attempted by human beings. In fact, it's really a case where madness really does translate to genius.

It's a slow burn to watch, but the beauty of the landscape and the sheer magnitude of the quest is impressive. Klaus Kinski plays yet another slightly mad Don Quixote figure tilting at the nearly impossible windmill of bringing opera to a small frontier town in Peru, via the treacherous Amazon River.

You'll be amazed at what the filmmakers did with the story (which is fact-based). They literally re-created the attempt that the real mad Irishman tried. There's no CGI fakery here, it's all really happening as you watch. If you have an evening to see what dreamers can do when they put their minds to it, watch Fitzcarraldo.
Alec B

June 14, 2010
A wonderfully insane piece of filmmaking. I still can't believe they actually moved a 300 ton ship over land for this movie and then sent in down a series of rapids. No models, no CGI, Herzog did it for real. And the effect is powerful. The story is great too and Klaus Kinski turned in a great performance.
Mike T

September 9, 2006
The insanity and extremity of this film's production is infamous, but it is also rightfully famous for its high quality. Werner Herzog's organic, intensely active filmmaking style works to the advantage of the project, evoking an unforgettable sense of time and place. His vision is awe-striking, gracing the screen with some of the most awesome images in history. He finds a worthy male lead in Klaus Kinski, who broods with subdued intensity for every moment onscreen. Plot is secondary to the actual experience of this movie, and it transports its audience into what often feels like the cinematic equivalent of a dream. Downright captivating.
brandonklaus2
brandonklaus2

February 16, 2009
Having heard the stories of the behind-the-scenes, it was far less crazy than I was expecting. I appreciate basing a story on moving a ship over a mountain and even with a long running time it definitely held my attention, but I don't know that I'd feel the need to watch it again.
Stephen E

June 26, 2013
"Fitzcarraldo" should be viewed as a sort of companion piece to "Aguirre, the Wrath of God." It, too, focuses on a character that heads downriver in search of fulfilling his hopes and dreams, yet it isn't as unforgiving nor does it end as harshly. What makes "Fitzcarraldo" such an enjoyable and undemanding watch is the amount of time given to flesh out such a simple story and how quickly the two-and-a-half hours fly by. Klaus Kinski had a rather remarkable talent of looking insane but always delivering a very controlled and understated performance.
Tecnoandre
Tecnoandre

October 6, 2011
Written and directed by Werner Herzog and starring Klaus Kinski as the title character. It portrays would-be rubber baron Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an Irishman known as Fitzcarraldo in Peru, who has to pull a steamship over a steep hill in order to access a rich rubber territory. The film is derived from the real-life story of Peruvian rubber baron Carlos Fitzcarrald. In the 1890s, Fitzcarrald did bring a steamship across an isthmus from one river into another, but it weighed only 30 tons (rather than over 300), and was carried over in pieces to be reassembled at its destination.
In his autobiographical film Portrait Werner Herzog, Herzog has stated that the film's spectacular production was partly inspired by the engineering feats of ancient standing stones. The film production was an incredible ordeal, and famously involved moving a 320-ton steamship over a hill without the use of special effects. Herzog believed that no one had ever performed a similar feat in history, and likely never will again, calling himself "Conquistador of the Useless".Three similar-looking ships were bought for the production and used in different scenes and locations, including scenes that were shot aboard the ship while it crashed through rapids, injuring three of the six people involved in the filming.This movie is a perfect vehicle to the stormed performance by the genius Klaus Kinski, the almost documental Herzog's style and the hypnotic music of the progressive band Popol Vuh, plus the stunning cinematography.
Over the Rising Sun
Over the Rising Sun

December 29, 2010
Werner Herzog's atmospheric journey into the jungle rivals "Apocalypse Now" in creepiness, visuals, and story. Far superior to Herzog/Kinski's more notable collaboration "Aguirre, the Wrath of God", save Kinski's performance, which is still excellent. I was expecting a more disastrous ending, but either way the ending was great. 100/100