Five Fingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Five Fingers Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
April 20, 2009
Couldn't even finish! Un-suspenseful drivel of a movie!
May 2, 2010
I was really quite disappointed by this movie. It's a considerably more akin to Captivity than it is to Hard Candy, which is a huge weakness in a movie professed as "a mental chess match". It was interesting to see how the events of the story slowly unravel and come to light, but the pace seems so slow as to seem deliberately protracted. This is kinda what a film looks like when the filmmakers have decided that they don't have enough plot, and they stretch what they've already got until it's long enough, but quite thin. I quite like all the characters and their motivations, but I think the movie was bigger and longer than the scipr could sustain.
bbcfloridabound
½ December 24, 2009
This is an excellent movie, Came out in 2006, still in the favor of the terrorist in the Arab world, at least that?s what we are lead to believe. Laurence Fishburne plays as good a part as I have ever seen him play. Martijn (Ryan Phillippe) and his British guide, Gavin (Colm Meaney) Land in Morocco to start a new food program for needy children, when they are kidnapped and when they come to are accused of being CIA agents, Gavin is shot in front of Martijn and so begins torture and questioning. The movie ends with a twist that I will not revile here but will blow your socks out of your shoes. I did have it figured out, you might also but most will not. 4 1/2 stars
½ March 9, 2007
Good movie, so intense and shocking, It keeps you on the edge of your seat for an hour and a half. The cast is good, a good performance by Ryan Phillippe and a better one by Laurence Fishburne. A film full of twists and with an unexpected ending. If you have a weak stomach, definitely this movie's not for you.
½ July 25, 2009
Trust and believe in no one when it comes to the matter of your life and losing body parts to prove a point...Sit and wait and watch out for the surprise at the very end. This movie runs fairly slow but has an ending worth waiting for.
January 9, 2012
i was really into this one. It had me think a lot about the potential twists. verbal chess sums it up. ryan philippes accent was so bad!
½ August 21, 2011
A Dutchman on his way to Morocco for food charity, is kidnapped by a group of terrorists.

Ryan Phillipe is the lead man in this low budget thriller directed by Laurence Malkin, and released back in 2006. It's a direct-to-DVD release that didn't have the opportunity to hit cinemas. This is one of many films I have seen as of late that have flown under the radar, and actually turned out to be very good.

After seeing Breach (2007) with the lead role also going to Phillipe, I really got a feel for how good of an actor he is. He's not of the tough guy persona. Size, bad-ass attitude and what not, but more so a very intellectually sound man. (in his films) With Five Fingers, your introduced to a foreign character, a Dutchman with an accent I don't hear much. It was a little odd from Phillipe, but I got used to it. On his way to Morocco for a food charity type of deal, he's kidnapped by two Moroccan terrorists, and taken to what appears to be an abandoned warehouse. We are then introduced to the head of the group, who happens to be good ol' Lawrence Fishburne. While this may not be his best performance, it sure was good.

What happens from there on may bore viewers with very small attention spans, but then again maybe not. It's a whole lot of interrogation tactics, a chess match, and then more talking. That's exactly what I was expecting, so I enjoyed the conversations very much. The chemistry between the two of them was enthralling and a joy to watch, and it kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering what in the heck the protagonist was going to in order to escape his situation. The terrorists also torture him a little bit, attempting to reveal his true identity.

Five Fingers is a pretty basic movie with good acting and some pretty sharp dialogue. It also packs one of the most clever film endings I've seen in awhile. Not all movie-goers will find this flick very useful, but for those of you who enjoy this type, then have fun! take it for what it is, and don't let it fly under your radar.
July 15, 2011
They're Playing Chess, not Checkers...

Five Fingers is a captivating low-budget thriller that provides enough mystery to keep most intellegent audiences entertained. Director Laurence Malkin does something that is becoming uncanny in the context of modern film-making: He lets his screenplay and actors drive the action of his film (instead of plaguing them with special effects). Five Fingers challenges your intelligence, pulls you in conflicting directions, and provides an in-depth (yet ultimately rushed) final product.
Five Fingers stars Ryan Philippe, a mild-mannered Dutchman named Martijn who embarks on a journey to Morocco to set up a food program for its impoverished citizenry. In midst of his journey, he is kidnapped, tortured, and interrogated by a mysterious faction. Lawrence Fishburne stars as the lead interrogator, Ahmat, who is hell-bent on getting Philippe's character to open up by any means necessary. Fishburne's real-life wife, Gina Torres, stars as the second captor in command, equally as driven as Ahmat, but is often sympathetic to Martijn's increasingly desperate demands. Our job as the audience is to find truth. Who is telling it? What do all the characters seem to be hiding? Is anything in this film what it seems to be? Who can get what they want? What's everyone's next move? How can you move when your opponent has the upper hand and your losing yours? This is a movie about Chess in the context of an interrogation.
Like in Chess there are black and white (good and evil) pawns, knights, kings, and queens: characters that often move in more than one direction to ultimately achieve, checkmate. Five Fingers is an intriguing game of speed chess, not one on a masterclass level however.
Fishburne and Torres provide strong, intelligent, often menacing performances, yet Phillipe often comes off as a little underwhelming. They have great chemistry and Phillipe has his moments, but his fake dutch accent often has too much American in it. This is one of those movies where everyone is speaking English for some reason. It's a minor detail, I know, but it's a pet peeve that I'm starting to have in the realm of cinema.
The story is solid overall but it has holes that are never filled. It is filled with some plot twists you don't see coming and some you do. Additionally, I'm not sure what Malkin has to say on the 8th Amendment of the Constitution and he should have provided some insight on it in the closing moments of this film. The ending was terribly rushed and I'm sure many people will feel cheated. The film needed to be at least five or ten minutes longer near the end, in order to explain somethings, it really could have been something better. Sometimes movies need to take a step back and just answer the often unanswerable question of "why"?
This film is very short, running just under 90 minutes. An obvious symptom of a low budget. The film looks great and it is a very commendable achievement for a film on a very strict budget. I recommend Five Fingers (a lame title for the movie by the way) for those who love original, intelligent, thrillers.-- B-
April 27, 2011
worst Ryan Phillippe film ever. Ughh he shouldn't try and do an accent ever again. Hes awesome but stick with no accent.
May 31, 2010
This is a very good intriguing suspense thriller that merged with the horror/torture film genre. I was surprised on how many twists and turns it had. It kept me guessing til the end. This film gives a new definition to the phrase, "nothing is what it seems". If you like great acting & suspense, then this one's for you.
½ May 20, 2010
Just when I thought movies didn't have decent twists anymore, this movie comes along. It may seem a little drawn out, but the conclusion makes watching this movie worth it. This one's a trip.
½ May 20, 2010
Where to begin with this trash heap of a movie? I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is the terrible script. Oh, and if you're going to make a film about a dutch character, make sure the actor (in this case Ryan Phillippe) can pull off the accent. Phillippe struggles heartily with his accent as he attempts to communicate with his stale, flat character of a wife played by some horrible actress. Colm Meaney's terrible portrayal of a stereotypical "British guy" serves only to spew out loud insults that no one would ever say while sitting blindfolded after being capture by terrorists. This movie is a waste of time on a disc, and is surely not worthy of Laurence Fishburne's good name.
May 20, 2010
Other than Ryan Philippe's ridiculous attempt at an accent, the movie was fairly decent. Nice twist that I never saw coming at the end.
May 20, 2010
*** (out of four)

Unpleasant yet fairly intriguing little film that boasts some intense dialogue while it plays tricks with your mind.

Ryan Phillippe, actually pulling off a Dutch accent pretty well, is a pianist from Holland who is kidnapped while on a food mission to Morocco. His captors, including Laurence Fishburne, play mind games with him as they force information from him...one finger at a time.

The movie is set up much like a stage play, which I think itmostly benefits from, allowing little information for the viewer, while also adding to the claustrophobic atmosphere. The acting is strong and believable and offers a great ending. The film does have some limits that a stagey setting offers, however. The flashbacks that attempt to open up the film, mostly slows it down.
½ May 20, 2010
Fair thriller. I was never convinced by Ryan Philippe's performances, particularly his accent. It does have some suspenseful moments but overall it's rather ordinary.
½ May 20, 2010
"Five Fingers" with Laurence Fishburne as a terrorist torturing Ryan Phillipe. Figured the big mystery about halfway through. Seeing those fingers get chopped off was a real stomach churner. "C-" Paul Chambers, CNN.
May 17, 2010
The only reason I give it 40% it is for the cool twist at the end, and for those of you who haven't seen the movie that is all I will say, no more spoilers. But the plot was just to boring, I felt it drag on & on & on.....you can get the picture.
½ May 16, 2010
I'm usually very iffy about straight to DVD movies but this one was great. Gripping, satisfying, and keeping you guessing with a fantastic twist at the end, Five Fingers is as good as a straight to DVD movie gets.
April 15, 2010
I finally watched it, so Gary can finally leave me alone about it. I will admit that it was a really good movie. Probably not for everyone considering the torture, but it's not like it was Saw, so it shouldn't be too bad for some people. It does have some really interesting twists one after another at the end. Some you might see, and others will completely take you by suprise.
½ April 6, 2010
Ryan Phillippe stars in this very intense thriller about a man who has found himself in outrageous circumstances. To tell anything of the story would reveal too much, but I did enjoy the way the background of the main character was revealed in flashbacks as the events of the movie unfolded. Despite Phillipe struggling a little with his character's accent, he does a fair enough job. The other main actors are fantastic, especially Lawrence Fishburne. The tension mounts gradually as the story moves along to great effect. This is not a movie to miss.