67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Five Fingers Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 20, 2009
Couldn't even finish! Un-suspenseful drivel of a movie!
Emily A

May 2, 2010
I was really quite disappointed by this movie. It's a considerably more akin to Captivity than it is to Hard Candy, which is a huge weakness in a movie professed as "a mental chess match". It was interesting to see how the events of the story slowly unravel and come to light, but the pace seems so slow as to seem deliberately protracted. This is kinda what a film looks like when the filmmakers have decided that they don't have enough plot, and they stretch what they've already got until it's long enough, but quite thin. I quite like all the characters and their motivations, but I think the movie was bigger and longer than the scipr could sustain.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 24, 2009
This is an excellent movie, Came out in 2006, still in the favor of the terrorist in the Arab world, at least that?s what we are lead to believe. Laurence Fishburne plays as good a part as I have ever seen him play. Martijn (Ryan Phillippe) and his British guide, Gavin (Colm Meaney) Land in Morocco to start a new food program for needy children, when they are kidnapped and when they come to are accused of being CIA agents, Gavin is shot in front of Martijn and so begins torture and questioning. The movie ends with a twist that I will not revile here but will blow your socks out of your shoes. I did have it figured out, you might also but most will not. 4 1/2 stars
Jose Z

March 9, 2007
Good movie, so intense and shocking, It keeps you on the edge of your seat for an hour and a half. The cast is good, a good performance by Ryan Phillippe and a better one by Laurence Fishburne. A film full of twists and with an unexpected ending. If you have a weak stomach, definitely this movie's not for you.
Fascade F

July 25, 2009
Trust and believe in no one when it comes to the matter of your life and losing body parts to prove a point...Sit and wait and watch out for the surprise at the very end. This movie runs fairly slow but has an ending worth waiting for.
January 9, 2012
i was really into this one. It had me think a lot about the potential twists. verbal chess sums it up. ryan philippes accent was so bad!
August 21, 2011
A Dutchman on his way to Morocco for food charity, is kidnapped by a group of terrorists.

Ryan Phillipe is the lead man in this low budget thriller directed by Laurence Malkin, and released back in 2006. It's a direct-to-DVD release that didn't have the opportunity to hit cinemas. This is one of many films I have seen as of late that have flown under the radar, and actually turned out to be very good.

After seeing Breach (2007) with the lead role also going to Phillipe, I really got a feel for how good of an actor he is. He's not of the tough guy persona. Size, bad-ass attitude and what not, but more so a very intellectually sound man. (in his films) With Five Fingers, your introduced to a foreign character, a Dutchman with an accent I don't hear much. It was a little odd from Phillipe, but I got used to it. On his way to Morocco for a food charity type of deal, he's kidnapped by two Moroccan terrorists, and taken to what appears to be an abandoned warehouse. We are then introduced to the head of the group, who happens to be good ol' Lawrence Fishburne. While this may not be his best performance, it sure was good.

What happens from there on may bore viewers with very small attention spans, but then again maybe not. It's a whole lot of interrogation tactics, a chess match, and then more talking. That's exactly what I was expecting, so I enjoyed the conversations very much. The chemistry between the two of them was enthralling and a joy to watch, and it kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering what in the heck the protagonist was going to in order to escape his situation. The terrorists also torture him a little bit, attempting to reveal his true identity.

Five Fingers is a pretty basic movie with good acting and some pretty sharp dialogue. It also packs one of the most clever film endings I've seen in awhile. Not all movie-goers will find this flick very useful, but for those of you who enjoy this type, then have fun! take it for what it is, and don't let it fly under your radar.
jkhappyfello
April 27, 2011
worst Ryan Phillippe film ever. Ughh he shouldn't try and do an accent ever again. Hes awesome but stick with no accent.
May 31, 2010
This is a very good intriguing suspense thriller that merged with the horror/torture film genre. I was surprised on how many twists and turns it had. It kept me guessing til the end. This film gives a new definition to the phrase, "nothing is what it seems". If you like great acting & suspense, then this one's for you.
Hamee
October 12, 2009
Where did Fishburne and Phillipe's horrible accents come from? If they would have been consistent that would have been one thing, but they were all over the place. I especially hated the ending.
dharma0139
September 15, 2009
I really thought it was a good movie. Everything you believe is true is not. It kept me interested in the plot and eventhough I didnt expect that ending, it was a shocking one.
panthrguy21
August 7, 2009
Ok, so this movie was kind of slow, and Ryan Phillippe should never try to do accents EVER, but not to terrible.
armybratgeo
July 24, 2009
Wow, this was one intense thriller. Started out a little slow, but than it took off kinda fast and it got really intersting. I have to admit it took me about half the movie to figure out what Fishburn/Torres were up too and what "organization" they really belonged too, but man it was so good. Kinda creepy to think just what of those practices really happen nowadays, but i say whatever keeps us save as a nation. Thanks for them we can all sleep at night. Great story, great plot, great cast. This should be a must see.
Drew B.
April 22, 2014
A thrilling and intense film, with a disturbing twist.
January 22, 2014
Interesting, but I saw the "twist" ending coming about halfway through.
February 20, 2012
I smooth flowing film, the plot is a bit awkward but seeming comes together.
Roger Rivera
August 11, 2011
The chess game gambit is announced early in the film with an actual chess game. Then comes torture and resistance, torture and resistance, etc., etc. etc. In a film like this I need more intelligent twists than this film supplies. There were too many straight lines in the plot and not enough crazy scrawls. Chess challenges the intellect, this film, despite the surprise ending, does not.
Christopher P.
July 15, 2011
They're Playing Chess, not Checkers...

Five Fingers is a captivating low-budget thriller that provides enough mystery to keep most intellegent audiences entertained. Director Laurence Malkin does something that is becoming uncanny in the context of modern film-making: He lets his screenplay and actors drive the action of his film (instead of plaguing them with special effects). Five Fingers challenges your intelligence, pulls you in conflicting directions, and provides an in-depth (yet ultimately rushed) final product.
Five Fingers stars Ryan Philippe, a mild-mannered Dutchman named Martijn who embarks on a journey to Morocco to set up a food program for its impoverished citizenry. In midst of his journey, he is kidnapped, tortured, and interrogated by a mysterious faction. Lawrence Fishburne stars as the lead interrogator, Ahmat, who is hell-bent on getting Philippe's character to open up by any means necessary. Fishburne's real-life wife, Gina Torres, stars as the second captor in command, equally as driven as Ahmat, but is often sympathetic to Martijn's increasingly desperate demands. Our job as the audience is to find truth. Who is telling it? What do all the characters seem to be hiding? Is anything in this film what it seems to be? Who can get what they want? What's everyone's next move? How can you move when your opponent has the upper hand and your losing yours? This is a movie about Chess in the context of an interrogation.
Like in Chess there are black and white (good and evil) pawns, knights, kings, and queens: characters that often move in more than one direction to ultimately achieve, checkmate. Five Fingers is an intriguing game of speed chess, not one on a masterclass level however.
Fishburne and Torres provide strong, intelligent, often menacing performances, yet Phillipe often comes off as a little underwhelming. They have great chemistry and Phillipe has his moments, but his fake dutch accent often has too much American in it. This is one of those movies where everyone is speaking English for some reason. It's a minor detail, I know, but it's a pet peeve that I'm starting to have in the realm of cinema.
The story is solid overall but it has holes that are never filled. It is filled with some plot twists you don't see coming and some you do. Additionally, I'm not sure what Malkin has to say on the 8th Amendment of the Constitution and he should have provided some insight on it in the closing moments of this film. The ending was terribly rushed and I'm sure many people will feel cheated. The film needed to be at least five or ten minutes longer near the end, in order to explain somethings, it really could have been something better. Sometimes movies need to take a step back and just answer the often unanswerable question of "why"?
This film is very short, running just under 90 minutes. An obvious symptom of a low budget. The film looks great and it is a very commendable achievement for a film on a very strict budget. I recommend Five Fingers (a lame title for the movie by the way) for those who love original, intelligent, thrillers.-- B-
July 9, 2011
Morocco is NOT in the Middle East you stupid ass holes
May 16, 2011
This was a rough one to see. cold callous brutality does build a frightening suspense with a twist at the end that brings us up to date regarding views towards terrorism and interrogation by torture. Not a fun film by any measure but one that marks perhaps the depth of this awful game and I don't mean chess.