The Five Pennies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Five Pennies Reviews

May 21, 2008
Nice Jazz drama. Kaye gives a good performance and nice cameos by Jazz greats.
August 22, 2014
Beautiful and touching. Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong are brilliant in this film. It holds up very well and the music is out of this world!
June 25, 2009
Another great Danny Kaye movie. This one is more of a tear jerker than the others I've seen. There are definitely funny parts but it's also a little more serious.
August 6, 2008
Danny Kaye fine in a typical Hollywood bio. Some great music and cameos by real jazz musicians. Tuesday Weld as the daughter!
½ June 5, 2008
The Glenn Miller story is my favorite and so I'm surprised it has taken me this long to discover the biographical The Five Pennies. Who wouldn't love Danny Kaye and Barbara Bel Geddes, but add Louis Armstrong to the cast, throw in Red Nichols' real relationships with Jimmy Dorsey and Glenn Miller and you've got an amazing story. Throw in the true story of Red's daughter's harrowing experience with polio (which my family faced with my sister) and you have a story that will truly touch your heart. Susan Gordan, the child actress who plays Dorothy Nichols (and later grows up into Tuesday Weld) iis phenomenal. I recommend this movie to everyone who loves music and a good story based on a real person.
September 12, 2007
Not a typical Danny Kaye character, but a beautiful story of a family's struggles. And yes, Kaye still gets in a few laughs.
September 12, 2007
Anyone who is a real music lover should love this film. Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye, I didnt picture it working but it was done beautifully. Recommended for all. This is my favorite Danny Kaye movie so far.
July 20, 2007
One of the best Danny Kaye movies I have seen him done. A very touching story on how a man went for his dreams, and gave them up so then he can be there for his daughter, incase he would not have a second chance.
Louis Armstrong and Kaye both play the trumpit so well, I had to close my eyes and just enjoy the music. He still had his funny wits about him throughout the entire movie. If I could ever find the soundtrack, I would buy it within a heart beat!
½ December 23, 2006
Danny Kayes portrayal of Red Nochols was fabulous, and the Music even more superb, with Louie Armstrong et all.
July 5, 2015
The 5 pennies is my all time favourite movie . laughter to tears , jazz to ragtime . cameos by Louis and others portraying the greats of music in that golden era . Tuesday Weld plays it well , she walks !!! tears fall . best scene is when Danny sings Lullabye in Ragtime to his daughter , great cast , great movie , Danny Kaye's best role n my opinion over The Court Jester . one movie you have to see in your lifetime ,
August 22, 2014
April 12, 2013
Little known biopic of Loring 'Red' Nicholls, successful cornet player in 1930's America. Brilliant lead performance by Danny Kaye. The story is funny, sad, quietly heroic, with some great musical numbers. I love it!
November 20, 2012
Probably my favourite film - funny, sad, excellent music, emotional but positive ending!
½ August 18, 2012
A beautifully made classic centered around a man wanting to be a great musician & a great family man and his battles in order to do so.

Danny Kaye was truly a sensation... a brilliant musician & entertainer but often not praised enough for his comic timing & the most underrated quality his ability as a dramatic actor.

This is a beautiful story saturated with fantastic music & gorgeous style, the colors in this film where exquisite. This was quite a detailed plot & had quite a few touching & sad moments in tact. I was quite impressed solid film...
½ April 29, 2012
Danny Kaye is amazing. The songs are great.
½ February 23, 2012
Excellent film...Danny Kaye plays Red Nichols with a great innocence and passion for the jazz. This movie goes from love and loss, through regret to discovery. On top of the great performances from Louis Armstrong himself this film shows a great love for the culture of the American art of jazz.
December 24, 2011
Good classic! Danny Kaye is hilarious
November 9, 2010
A nice little biopic about Red Nichols and His Five Pennies (many of which became more famous than him after they left his band, such as Glenn Miller). Highlight of the movie: Red Nichols and Louis Armstrong duet. Fantastic.
December 1, 2009
It's impossible to go wrong with Danny Kaye. He could do serious roles just as skillfully as comedy
October 14, 2009
Although probably steeped in myth more than fact, this musical semi-biography of Red Nichols was a grand tribute and another outstanding performance by Danny Kaye. For some it will be overly sentimental and a little rough at the end. However it was built around the lives and toe-tapping songs of real entertainers, and had a cast of real old-school entertainers who really knew how to perform. Highly recommended.