Blinkende Lygter (Flickering Lights) Reviews

January 28, 2011
Blinkende lygterSo what's with all of the animal slaughter? I have this theory that the Danish film industry is trying to corner the "quirky" market. If they want to do that, and if they want to keep the fans they have, they'd better think twice about their treatment of animals on screen. Any point that could be made in this movie could have been made without killing a single animal. Quirky? How about irritating.
June 28, 2010
Four Danish criminals hide out from their boss The Eskimo in a dilapidated country restaurant after pocketing the loot from the latest job. Made by Anders Thomas Jensen (ADAM'S APPLES),it's an entertaining mixture of sentimentality, comedy, brutish violence and Danishness.
½ February 19, 2012
I was hoping for a hilarious black comedy in vein of "Adam's Apples" and with excellent Danish cast, how could you go wrong. Well... the story seemed familiar and the jokes were not that funny. The "flashbacks" didn't really work and added little to the movie. I did get a few chuckles, but in the end this was disappointing.
½ February 2, 2015
Four small-time Copenhagen criminals; Torkild (Søren Pilmark), Peter (Ulrich Thomsen), Arne (Mads Mikkelsen) and Stefan (Nikolaj Lie Kaas) met during their teens and they all share a tragic childhood with abuse and sad consequences. They are assigned by the crime kingpin Færingen (Peter Andersson) to break into a house and retrieve a briefcase for him, a briefcase that proves to contain 4 million. The leader of the four, Torkild see this as his way out of a criminal life and become a normal citizen. He takes the decision to flee to Barcelona with the money and his three companions. But, already on Jylland their car breakes down and they seek refuge in an abandoned house. Because of a gunshot wound Peter got during the break in, the four have to wait to proceed with their journey to Barcelona until he recovers. In order to not create too much attention from the locals, they pretend that they are renovating the house to open a restaurant. But, their past eventually catches up with them...

This sort of black action comedy genre became popular in Denmark with "In China They Eat Dogs" that came out in 1999 based on a screenplay by Anders Thomas Jensen, whom also wrote and directed "Flickering Lights". We see a similar sort of set up with a lot of dark humour and quite violent sequences in "Flickering Lights". The story is based on the main characters tragic upbringing and what they became and how certain events in the movie change their view on life and what sort of life they want to live future wise. Meaning the moral here is that despite a tough life and a criminal background there´s always a way out for a better life that won´t make you end up dead. And with the combination of friendship, love, happiness and identity the story becomes rich and endearing. Certain scenes are really over the top and absurd (and at times you simply can´t help but burst out in loud laughter), but due to the fact that Jensen has a great cast at his hands with Pilmark, Thomsen, Mikkelsen and Kaas (all magnificent in their roles) they manage to balance it perfectly and never drops the ball. The dialogue is witty and funny as well within all the complexity. I reckon you can see a touch of Tarantino in this as well, which I think Jensen would be happy to hear. You might even call it an homage to Tarantino. It still holds up pretty well 14 years later. And once you´ve seen "Flickering Lights" you will never forget Mikkelsen´s gun toting psychopath Arne...
December 11, 2014
One of my favorite danish comedy's. Its dark , satirical and has some of the most original characters you will ever see.
½ June 15, 2014
Decent. The characters are interesting, but the lead gets tired after about 30 mins in. Mads does a great job. There could have been more meat, as some of the movie feels like filler. Light hearted and fun at times.
June 10, 2014
Deliciously quirky and darkly wicked!
½ August 30, 2013
Danish humour at its very sarcastic best
July 21, 2013
Hilarious. A.T.J. can do no wrong. He's like Denmark's mix of Wes Anderson and the Coen Brothers. This movie was heartfelt and so fucking funny. A definite favorite for sure.
February 19, 2013
It's not bad. I almost gave it 3,5 stars.. but I'd just expected more.
December 13, 2012
One of the best danish movies ever1
September 6, 2012
Strange and violent black comedy that shows a different take on the heist genre.
March 10, 2012
Another gem from the Danish director of "Adam's Apples," Anders Thomas Jensen. Torkild (Søren Pilmark) is a thoughtful criminal who owes a lot of money to a mob boss, "the Eskimo," and when he and his little band of dysfunctional henchmen take off with a suitcase full of the crime lord's money, one suspects it will not end well. Their getaway vehicle breaks down in the middle of a forest and the gang takes refuge in an abandoned inn. This is where the film transforms into something truly magical. Torkild, who always wanted to open a restaurant, begins to use the stolen money to fix up the place. Their explanation to the locals who find them hiding there is that they are planning to re-open the lodge with an eating establishment and when customers start coming around, the dream/alibi begins to become a reality. The rest is totally unpredictable and a thorough delight to watch. I can still see the image of Arne (Mads Mikkelsen), the most psychopathic of the gang, leaning over a cook pot in a stained wife-beater undershirt, with two inches of cigarette ash dangling perilously over the main course.
Each of the characters is allowed a little back story, told in flashback, and these vignettes filmed in a contrasting style, give us enough background to understand the damaged men, and their motivations. We come to understand how they turned out the way they did, and why their friendship is so strong. Dramatic, yet humorous, and satisfying throughout, Blinkende Lygter (Flickering Lights) is a film worth looking for.
(Thought I'd add a line - friend Aditya prompts me to point out that THIS IS NOT A DOCUMENTARY.)
½ April 20, 2010
Pretty funny Danish action-comedy.