Flower Drum Song Reviews

½ December 29, 2009
Maybe not in my Top 10 favorite musical list, but plenty of great songs. My favorite is probably "Love Look Away," and it's tough to beat the appeal of a young Nancy Kwan in her absolute prime. Amazing to see Miyoshi Umeki in a romantic lead as well. I will miss her. So now that I'm thinking about it, what are my Top 10 favorite musicals of all time? Hmmm . . . let me see . . .
Brigadoon Carousel Guys and Dolls The Music Man My Fair Lady On the Town Singin' in the Rain South Pacific Top Hat West Side Story For right this minute, then, on 12/29/09, I guess that does leave out Flower Drum Song, but like all my "Top" lists, this one can be very fluid.
June 22, 2010
So, I found a Rogers & Hammerstein musical I hadn't seen...now I know why...just an ok musical. The story was good...a Chinese woman and her father come to San Francisco to marry her off, by the traditionally "arranged marriage" way. Mioshi Umeki, who was the first Asian to win an Oscar (for Sayonara) but I remember her mostly as Mrs. Livingston on The Courtship of Eddie's Father series, was so cute and perfect as the little Chinese woman. I love musicals and I thought most of the musical numbers kinda sucked...that's what made this just ok for me...but it did have other aspects that kept my interest.
½ June 30, 2008
on the one hand, the music was incredibly weak and gave almost no enhancement to the story. on the other hand, the story was strong and interesting enough that it didn't really need musical enhancement. I guess I would describe this movie not as a good or bad musical, but as a light-hearted social dramedy where people randomly break into song. in that respect, it's a little unusual, but it's not too bad. R&H were definitely out of their element on this one.
½ September 4, 2007
This was one of the funnier classics that I love. It was so much fun to watch. You cna't go wrong with this one.
July 21, 2007
Another Richard Rogers Oscar Hammerstein Musical masterwork, the music is wonderful, the acting and story line so, so, a good movie
½ May 29, 2007
A lovely musical. Simply stunning. So many characters and relationships filled with drama, overseas illegal business, Fransisco, California, and how the traditional Chinese are learning to become modern with American culture.
May 9, 2007
An Asian American musical from the '60's - I think this is truly unique and I know not of anything else like it. There are so many "class" struggle movies out there but this one is in it's own world. It combined American flare with Chinese twist. Great movie and dance numbers!!!
½ May 11, 2007
a musical about asian-americans relating to america and falling in love. "i enjoy being a girl" came from this musical.
½ March 21, 2007
Rodgers & Hammerstein and director Henry Koster sent shockwaves through Hollywood with this musical requiring a cast made up entirely of Asian actors. I was delighted to finally get the experience to watch this film. My recommendation is to watch all of the short documentaries that are included with this DVD before watching the film, as I didn't really fully appreciate what was put together until I gained all of that background knowledge about the film, musical and screenplay.
½ March 4, 2007
Chinese-american Musical It is fun movie to watch. I just happen to catch the movie on the AMC channel. The music is by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. My songs from the movie is "Chop Suey" & "It Fun Being A Girl. A movie for the whole family. It is a good american musical with a chinese twist.
February 12, 2007
This is one of my favorite musicals. It's cute, upbeat, and set in San Francisco! It might not be the most politically correct film there is, but if you can get past that, it's really very good.
August 15, 2013
This outdated musical is an endearing but misplaced historical anachronism. Overall acting is poor and the singing is worse; the singing is actually so bad it's hard to judge the quality of the music. Still, there are some charming moments to be had in this dated clunker.
April 27, 2011
This movie might be a bit dated now. Yet it's still entertaining. " I enjoy being a girl" & "The other generation" are still my favorites. I just wish they would take out the 15 min dance sequence, that adds nothing to the story.
March 25, 2009
Many of the songs are very well done and enjoyable, especially Nancy Kwan's "I Enjoy Being a Girl." All the actors are fabulous and the lines are a ball. Not only is it a love story but a great tale of modern versus the traditional values. It is absolutely suitable for all ages.