Foolproof

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Foolproof Reviews

Jeffrey M

March 27, 2011
Foolproof has a lot going against it in that it's both Canadian and Ryan Reynolds has a lead role. Recipe for disaster, right? Not so much in this case. It has enough charm and enough interesting twists to make this worth a watch.
chadroesti
chadroesti

October 16, 2008
Actually pretty good, Ryan Reynolds is his smart ass self.
January 11, 2014
A very middle of the road film, which the talent involved managed to attract me to but never really paid off, despite my interest in Ryan Reynolds and David Suchet, but oh well.

Rental? Cable viewing?
March 14, 2012
This movie actually has surprisingly good redeeming value aside of course from the fact that Ryan Reynolds is acting like well...Ryan Reynolds through out the whole film (though he's kept in check) by the plot and by the rest of the cast which is while mostly unknowns is pretty good. The story is well written with plenty of twists and turns and though out. Well worth taking a look at if you want to watch something.
jam233
June 23, 2010
April 23, 2007
well framed, well acted and very engaging film that feels smaller than I'm sure it was. I won't say its perfect but I really enjoyed it.
June 4, 2006
Whee! Another heist movie! Okay, heist movies can be long and elaborate and only mildly interesting, or they can be fun and silly and a blast to watch. This was the latter. Sure, it was long and elaborate, but it never took itself too seriously, and you know how much I love that. For some reason this movie really bombed. People kept saying it was "trying to be Ocean's Eleven". *Rolls eyes* Come on. This was FAR more FUN than Ocean's Eleven. ...Well, I think, anyway.
Matt H.
April 3, 2014
Foolproof seems like a pretty lowbrow movie, until the end. The story starts to make sense, and everything gets tied up neatly. This is actually a nice little heist movie.
Sgt. Cockstrain
July 22, 2013
A lame duck of a crime caper that is so far down the pile of better movies that it's not really worth bothering with. It's not awful, just very, very average.
August 31, 2013
I am amazed that this film sold so few tickets and fared so poorly. I thought it was terrific!
August 21, 2013
Cute crime caper that was very enjoyable. Gotta love David Suchet !
March 24, 2013
Apparently not. A silly premise Guy Ritchie ripoff with copy soundtrack. Not bad, just silly.
February 21, 2013
"Foolproof" is a decent thriller with some clever heist elements and enough twists and turns to keep you entertained. What's interesting about the heist portion in this film is that it isn't as simple as going in and sneaking by the guards, hacking the passwords and getting out without being seen. The heist has numerous complex parts (spread over several break-ins) and it's a lot of fun to see the protagonists set themselves up for later, gathering information and stealing the crucial components for the big night. The villain isn't terribly interesting and it seems like he takes the job a bit too personally (it seems unlikely for example that he would help in the actual heist in case something went wrong) but he gets the job done. There are some betrayals that keep the story interesting, a lot of technical work that feels credible and although there are a few elements that don't quite work (there's a love plot and an awkward scene of phone sex that don't really fit well into the movie) it's enjoyable to watch. (Dvd, February 18, 2013)
Riaan C.
May 13, 2011
You don't need to concentrate too much watching this movie. Nothing new though, but for some light relaxation there is nothing wrong with this movie.
Jeffrey M

March 27, 2011
jazza923
June 23, 2010
66/100. Good caper film with a fine cast, especially Ryan Reynolds and Joris Jarsky. It's a great mix of action and humor, the pace is terrific. Amusing and well done story, most always entertaining. The plot is a little far fetched and it's nothing outstanding, but it's worth watching.
Rufam S.
September 17, 2009
Συμπαθής αστυνομική περιπέτεια της σειράς.

A likable and also typical crime adventure movie.
donna542004
July 28, 2006
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=purple]Kevin (Ryan Teynolds), Sam (Kristin Booth) and Rob (Joris Jarsky) are best friends and they develop plans of foolproof heists as a game. But without having the intention of executing it. After developing a complex robbery of a jewelery, their plans are stolen. Leo Gillette (David Suchet), who has stolen the jewelery. Blackmails them into stealing bonds from a bank. Otherwise, he will deliver their plans with their fingerprint to the police.
Foolproof is a surprisingly good action movie. The story, full of plot points and betrayals, is engaging and recalls movies like The Italian Job, The Sting, or Confidence, among others. I have to admit I love these type of movies. They are fun to watch.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=purple]Donna A. [/color][/size][/font]
jaybird1977
December 1, 2004
[B]Where:[/B] DVD

one line review: It isn't a Canadian movie without David Hewlett.

If you will sell me a DVD for about the same price as renting it then I will buy it. Works every time, no questions asked. Hence why I now have Foolproof in my movie collection. I picked it up purely for one reason: Ryan Renolds (Van Wilder, Blade 3, Two Guys and a Girl). He isn't a great actor, just highly charismatic with a wit/sarcasm that runs directly parallel to my own. I fully admit that he has no range and every character he plays is essentially the same: him.

But fortunately I like him the way he is, and no matter how bad the film is I enjoy him in it. Which brings us to Foolproof. My expectations were so low going in that I couldn't help but liking the film because it wasn't Absolutely Horrible. It's a B grade Canadian heist film, which should give you a good idea of what to expect. What's funny is that they somehow manage to pull it all off.

Ok, I'm probably raising your expectations too much. Let's face it, the plot is dumb. They are a group of three mid-twenty-somethings who get a kick out of planning perfect robberies but never executing them. And they call themselves Foolproof (so cheesy). You could have a drinking game for every time they say foolproof during the movie. Gag me. As inevitably happens when you tempt fate during a movie, a professional criminal steals their plans, executes the heist, and then blackmails them into working for him and they try their best to "fool" him and get out of it.

Yet despite the overall stupidity of the film, the details and execution of their "foolproof" plans are quite smart, and the movie manages to be quite entertaining. Even though no one can act.

I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but if it happened to be on TV it'd be worth checking out. All faults aside, it's a fun little film.