Foolproof - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foolproof Reviews

March 27, 2011
Foolproof has a lot going against it in that it's both Canadian and Ryan Reynolds has a lead role. Recipe for disaster, right? Not so much in this case. It has enough charm and enough interesting twists to make this worth a watch.
chadroesti
½ October 16, 2008
Actually pretty good, Ryan Reynolds is his smart ass self.
½ April 3, 2014
Foolproof seems like a pretty lowbrow movie, until the end. The story starts to make sense, and everything gets tied up neatly. This is actually a nice little heist movie.
½ January 11, 2014
A very middle of the road film, which the talent involved managed to attract me to but never really paid off, despite my interest in Ryan Reynolds and David Suchet, but oh well.

Rental? Cable viewing?
½ March 14, 2012
This movie actually has surprisingly good redeeming value aside of course from the fact that Ryan Reynolds is acting like well...Ryan Reynolds through out the whole film (though he's kept in check) by the plot and by the rest of the cast which is while mostly unknowns is pretty good. The story is well written with plenty of twists and turns and though out. Well worth taking a look at if you want to watch something.
June 23, 2010
June 23, 2010
66/100. Good caper film with a fine cast, especially Ryan Reynolds and Joris Jarsky. It's a great mix of action and humor, the pace is terrific. Amusing and well done story, most always entertaining. The plot is a little far fetched and it's nothing outstanding, but it's worth watching.
½ November 14, 2008
The acting isn't great; the cast is mainly the 4 people in the movie, there were a couple big plot holes too... but the end was still pretty good.
August 27, 2007
Performances are strong with Reynolds being pitch perfect in a dead pan role while David Suchet is elegantly sinister in his villainous role. The story is rather conventional, however, and nothing is that surprising (including the multitude of twists at the end, which are all foreseeable). Despite this, it's still fun to watch thanks to its cast and there are nice flourishes of visual style that maintain our interest. Not bad, not great, just a simple yet fun heist film. If you like this then I highly recommend "Stark Raving Mad", which is another heist film that is simple yet fun!
April 23, 2007
well framed, well acted and very engaging film that feels smaller than I'm sure it was. I won't say its perfect but I really enjoyed it.
½ July 28, 2006
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=purple]Kevin (Ryan Teynolds), Sam (Kristin Booth) and Rob (Joris Jarsky) are best friends and they develop plans of foolproof heists as a game. But without having the intention of executing it. After developing a complex robbery of a jewelery, their plans are stolen. Leo Gillette (David Suchet), who has stolen the jewelery. Blackmails them into stealing bonds from a bank. Otherwise, he will deliver their plans with their fingerprint to the police.
Foolproof is a surprisingly good action movie. The story, full of plot points and betrayals, is engaging and recalls movies like The Italian Job, The Sting, or Confidence, among others. I have to admit I love these type of movies. They are fun to watch.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=purple]Donna A. [/color][/size][/font]
½ June 4, 2006
Whee! Another heist movie! Okay, heist movies can be long and elaborate and only mildly interesting, or they can be fun and silly and a blast to watch. This was the latter. Sure, it was long and elaborate, but it never took itself too seriously, and you know how much I love that. For some reason this movie really bombed. People kept saying it was "trying to be Ocean's Eleven". *Rolls eyes* Come on. This was FAR more FUN than Ocean's Eleven. ...Well, I think, anyway.
February 24, 2006
It was pretty funny. I love the suspenceish (not a word i know) actiony and not to mention funniness to the movie.
January 31, 2016
learn the angles, begore you proceed with confidence. being calculate in each move, knowing what you have to deal with, knowing the materials and components, timing, precision, bypassing the inperfections and flaws, poor quality vs good quality.

Keeping a diary of your thievery projects not a great idea when in wrong hands.
In and out without a trace, scout the area. find the loop holes within there processes. Not about double crossing or killing,
making sure no one else in the group deviates from the plan and makes their own play for the goods.
When playing both sides there is no room for error.
December 25, 2015
This film was ok. I have seen lose of films which are just like this and they are pretty much the same its just the choice in actors which changes. This is one of Ryan Reynolds ok films but it's no where near as good as the other films he has done in the past.
½ February 21, 2013
"Foolproof" is a decent thriller with some clever heist elements and enough twists and turns to keep you entertained. Our heroes are Kevin (Ryan Reynolds, always charming), Sam (Kristin Booth) and Rob (Joris Jarsky). You've heard of fantasy football and LARPing? Well these three have their own game, fantasy pilfering. They research, plan out and theoretically carry out complicated plans to infiltrate and burgle different buildings. They don't actually steal anything, or even intend to. It's just the thrill of it all. When a criminal (David Suchet) blackmails the trio, he forces them to put together a plan to lift $20 million... and actually carry it out.

What's interesting about the picture is that it isn't as simple as going in and sneaking by the guards, hacking the passwords and getting out without being seen. The heist has numerous complex parts (spread over several break-ins) and it's a lot of fun to see the protagonists set themselves up for later dates by gathering information and stealing crucial components that will only be required for the big night. I also think that the initial setup is quite good. It might be hard to cheer for someone who makes their living by lifting money from other people, but these guys are just having a good time and you admire them for having the intelligence and skill to come up with these elaborate strategies. There are some betrayals that keep the story interesting and all of the how-to stuff feels credible. That's a big plus.

On the negative side, the villain isn't terribly interesting and it seems like he takes the job a bit too personally for a criminal mastermind. It seems unlikely for example that he would help in the actual heist in case something went wrong. Nevertheless he gets the job done. Some elements of comedy or forced romance stick out as too Hollywood-y, like an awkward scene of phone sex that don't really fit well into the movie.

"Foolproof" is an enjoyable watch with some innovative moments. I also have to give the production credit. For a low-budget Canadian film, this looks terrific. (On DVD, February 18, 2013)
½ May 1, 2014
I thought it was a pretty decent heist film.
½ April 3, 2014