68% The Equalizer Sep 26

Forever Amber Reviews

mwilliams078
mwilliams078

August 28, 2008
A very well done period piece starring the beautiful Linda Darnell.
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 3, 2008
Linda is ravishing and the costumes are incredibly sumptous, they had to cut the guts out of the novel but on its own terms a fun ride.
Dave J
August 12, 2014
Tuesday, August 12, 2014

(1947) Forever Amber
ROMANTIC DRAMA

Like "Forrest Gump" when it's taking a fictional character, in this case Amber, played by Linda Darnell going through actual events to gain a proper title since females at that particular time which was during the Victorian era were deemed as second class citizens. Viewers are going to subject Amber experiencing "The Great Fire Of London" as well as the "plague" with the difference here is that we're not given the exact time frames during which all of that had happened. Her name is Amber St. Clair, and the film showcases her farm working parents arranging their daughter a marriage with another farmer. Except that her main goal was to avoid that kind of lifestyle, and rather strive for something better. So when the opportunity was there when some swordsmen were passing through looking for temporary refuge, since one of the men was badly injured. Amber took the opportunity to sought on after them by volunteering as a barmaid on the inn where they were staying. Some men were trying to make advances on her except that she only has eyes set for one person, and that is on Bruce played by Cornel Wilde since he's given a title as a "Lord" in service to King Charles II played by Charles Sanders. And it there is when she does nothing but lie in order to get a title. One of the problems I had is that although she loves Bruce, I can't understand why he can't make any sacrifices for her or can't be told the truth about her very complicated situation in regarding to what happened to her such as being locked up in the gallows while he was away for long periods at a time. It's hard to recommend a movie that refuses to acknowledge ones sacrifice for the love of someone else.

2 out of 4 stars