• PG-13, 1 hr. 41 min.

Forget Paris Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

November 18, 2013
Billy Crystal writes, directs, and stars in this utterly charming and fun romantic comedy. It's a bit of a mix of When Harry Met Sally with some doses of Woody Allen, but I don't think that's a problem.

Crystal is Mickey Gordon- a frazzled NBA referee. After he goes to bury his father n France, Mickey ends up meeting and falling in love with Ellen Andrews- a fellow American making a great living abroad for an airline. They end up spending only a bit of time with one another initially, but this sparks grows into a bright flame of a relationship that, over the course of several years, goes through all the ups and downs that usually accompany something this special, and shows how, if it's meant to be, a relationship can get though pretty much anything.

What I liked about this film is the structure. Its a frame story told mostly in flashback by friends of the couple who are waiting for them at a restaurant. One of Mickey's longtime buddies is getting married and his bride to be has yet to meet Mickey or Ellen, so everybody decides to fill her in, and that too is how the audience discovers the story.

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Crystal. I don't dislike the guy, but Im unsure if I really like his work or not. It can be good, yes, but sometimes I find it hard to get into, or take it on its own terms without making comparisons to others. Here it worked for me. I thought this was a delightful little romp, and I'm not usually into this kind of film. I do think that he personally struggled a bit with the more dramatic stuff, but overall got through it okay. Debra Winger is great as Ellen, and she makes up where Billy falters. She's not quite a good with the comedy, but does okay, and in the end, they balance themselves out fine. As their friends we get the likes of Joe Mantegna, Cynthia Stevenson, Richard Masur, Julie Kavner, and Cathy Moriarty, et al, and they are a fine supporting cast. There's also tons of cameos, almost all of them from NBA players, announcers, and the like, and they too do a good job and seem to have a lot of fun.

All in all, I found a lot to like here. It's shot well, funny, touching, and just made me feel good and sappy, and whatnot. Sure it's not the most original thing, but it's done better than it had to be, so yeah, give it a watch.
Jens S

July 1, 2006
This romantic comedy tells the story of the difficult years that follow the perfect first week with a new crush. It does so using Billy Crystal's typical humor that already made Harry and Sally a cult hit. The approach may be somewhat similar here, but there is much more to it. First of all, we hear the protagonists' story through their friends words, including interruptions and contradictions. That makes for a very quirky storytelling and plenty of great jokes. But the film does not shy away from showing the ugly and disenchanting truth after long distance or weekend relationships. Thankfully, even after the sadder parts, the movie always finds its way back to the lighter side of things, especially thanks to the excellent Crystal. Overall a very true and satisfying experience.
James A

April 4, 2010
I'll tell you what I would like to forget.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
Billy Crystal as Actor and Director, BRILLIANT! This Movie has a tiny bit of everything for Romance and Comedy Fans.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

November 7, 2009
Crystal trying to replicate When Harry Met Sally in the mid 90's. Romantic comedy with a similar formula that WHMS employs, with a few differences. I love that Crystal is an NBA ref, the movie shows him in a montage of games talking with Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Reggie Miller, and he ejects Kareem Adbul Jabbar in his farewell game. This aspect is probably the best thing about the movie and to the plot, mid-90's NBA so good.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 4, 2009
This movie just dragged on forever. It was boring and not interesting at all. No chemistry at all between the leads. Just D.O.A. Can't turn this movie fast enough when its on the tele. Billy Crystal has done better, MUCH better.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
pretty decent, at least during the basketball scenes
Richard F

October 31, 2009
One of the funnier movies out there! If you enjoy Billy Crystal's schtick, you'll find yourself laughing out loud quite a bit. The film gets a bit tired and self-indulging about halfway through, but despite it's plodding, it has a big heart.
Sunil J

August 23, 2009
Cleverly written and quite funny, this is nothing totally unique but it's heartwarming and very enjoyable. Great cast of couples.
wamage
November 4, 2010
I love this movie. I love Debra in this movie. Very entertaining, great cast, great story. Great everything is great.
June 10, 2009
i've seen this numerous times...i don't know if i ever watched it start to finish, but i've definitely seen the entire thing out of order dozens of times.
September 1, 2008
A cute romantic comedy, directed by Billy Crystal, in Rob Reiner form. A group of friends are meeting for dinner and one brings along his new fiance. They begin to tell her the story of how the leads met, fell in love and their struggles that followed. Due to the nature in which this couple connected, I think the troubles brought about were realistic. Perhaps too realistic to root for them at times. Billy Crystal is his usual quirky and charming self but I found Debra Winger to be replaceable. May not have been as good of a movie as When Harry Met Sally, but it kept me engaged the entire time and I would most likely watch it again in the future.
skyygirl2226
June 25, 2008
Never really wanted to see it, now i know this was a wise decision. Forget Paris- I wish i could forget that I wasted my time on this.
filmguy55
May 19, 2007
A very underlooked Romantic comedy. One of Wingers best performances. Crystal is a great storyteller.
MovieGuruDude72
May 15, 2007
I guess this is funny. I would have LOVED to see Kareem Abdul Jabbar thump Crystal for throwing him out of his farewell game.
buddyluv87
February 28, 2007
Yet another typical romantic comedy. But who can go wrong with Billy Crystal. The pigeon in the hair is one of the best comedy scenes in movies.
October 6, 2006
Yes, I like chick-flicks...but hey, it has some sports in it. lol. Billy Crystal is great, and there is a good supporting cast.
April 5, 2006
Kareem: "Are you crazy? This is my farewell game!"
Mickey: "Oh? Well, let me be the first to say farewell!"
April 8, 2013
Saw it on a plane ride a while ago. Wasn't bad at the time. Crystal does his thing
December 19, 2012
Went to this movie because Charles Barkley was in it. Wish I hadn't...