Forks Over Knives Reviews

½ October 31, 2011
Is the problem meat and dairy or is it processed foods and refined sugars? This movie says both and they need to be completely removed from our diet (its experts also say nuts and oils as well), but its focus is on meat and dairy. The main evidence for their case is a book written by one of the film's experts, called "The China Study." Disappointingly, it doesn't explore the supposed science or results of the study. Why not support this extreme position with peer-reviewed science articles -- or do they all contradict the film-maker's views? Also, to not seriously look at the effects of processed foods with at least equal depth is incomplete and dishonest. Anecdotally, the movie makes a good, albeit obvious case for the benefits in eating whole foods, but the honest man would have also followed someone who included meat and dairy in their whole food diet. I agree with the less-extreme, modern consensus: Eat unprocessed food and make meat and dairy a side rather than a main dish.
½ May 16, 2011
This documentary can be a life-saver for so many of us. Let's face it most of follow a slow-but-sure suicide regimen of processed foods with lots of meat and dairy thrown in (oh don't forget the sugar!) Though dry at times with lots of statistics, Forks Over Knives is a must see. It truly is a revelation. One stat that reverberates...US health care costs could be reduced up to 80% if we changes to a whole food/plant base diet...did you hear that Congress! (5-16-11)
November 7, 2012
I'm very happy I found this documentary. My husband and I are following their suggestions and already notice great improvement in our health. What I like most about this film, the science was easy to understand. Very thought provoking.
September 3, 2012
Could have been much better.. The idea of the diet itself I agree with.. I was at one point a raw foodist.. and loved every second of it.. However, they mention the fact that the bad food is cheaper, but give no helpful hints about how to make going healthy possible on a tight budget.. and I'm sorry, but right now, I can't afford much.. I have a job.. and insurance.. and am completely broke with hospital bills, bad credit.. etc.. I can't go spend $300 at the grocery store for 2 weeks.. I'm lucky if I spend $40 for that amount of time.. It would have been more help had they given ANY tips. There were some parts that my brain has blocked out.. as they seemed unrelated to the topic.. over all though, it was worth watching.
½ January 12, 2012
Well, I'm convinced. Extremely inspiring and refreshingly simple. I also realized that I don't know a fat unhealthy vegan ...
September 7, 2011
Hopeful and profound, this movie explores the incredible ability of the human body to heal itself with the right diet. The research is convincing, the solution so simple... and yet many of us will be resistant to the change it proposes: NO Animal Products in your diet!

As a documentary, it is somewhat slow but I think I prefer the slower pacing with careful presentation of the science than a ramped up entertainment show. Both Dr. Campbell and Dr. Esseltyn (who's work is primarily followed in this movie) come across as likeable, genuine and sincere men completely convicted by their findings. The history of their journey is explained clearly, as is the scientific explanations of the body's inner workings.

One of the most incredible statistics in this movie is the frightening toll that our addiction to meat has taken on our world. The movie says that the grain used to feed the world's livestock is more than enough to feed everybody on the planet alone. We don't have a food shortage, we are just making poor choices.

Another mind-boggling statistic is how much dietary choices are costing our country in medical expenses. Dr. Campbell believes that switching to a whole-foods plant-based based diet could save as much as 70-80% of the entire healthcare expenditures in this country. Talk about a balanced budget, and a FAR healthier society.

Yes, I believe it IS hard to adopt a plant-based diet in many parts of the world because of the challenges of our fast-food world. But I also believe it is entirely worthwhile to move towards that goal. It will take time, education, and a desire to keep at it. You don't have to make ALL the changes at once... just start moving towards the goal. Reduce meat, dairy, sugary foods, processed foods, etc. steadily until your dependence on them is gone and the research supports that you should have a longer, healthier life.
June 4, 2011
This is a MUST SEE if you have any concerns about cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or even erectile dysfunction! It's time for a dietary revolution!
January 12, 2011
This is an incredible movie showcasing diligent and ethical research that has come to conclusions that not everyone will welcome. For those who are tired of seeing spiraling health care costs and dealing with their own ill health who would care to be proactive, this is the movie for you.
Two of the best researchers and doctors of our time are highlighted in the movie.
August 5, 2015
Inspiring if a bit dull at times. introduction to really interesting scientists and studies.
June 9, 2015
Extremely informative, this documentary should be shown in as many places as possible. I'm surprised it didn't receive big distribution deals. A must watch.
½ April 17, 2015
Very informative even if you question the validity of The China Study.
October 18, 2014
Very good documentary that makes you think twice about the food that goes into your body, and how it ultimately affects your health
August 21, 2014
Just give it a try, you can always go back to your whatever diet if not satisfied.
July 21, 2014
As someone who practices medicine, and studies medicine from people past and present who have seen thousands upon thousands of people, it is without question the vegetarian diet is the best diet for reversing chronic disease. However, this is not to say that they need to be a vegetarian forever, nor is it to say that the vegetarian diet is the best diet because there is no best diet for an individual other than the one which fits his or her temperament.

The internet is filled with opinions that are based upon many opinions of people who have never studied medicine or treated a single patient. This has absolutely no merit for me. Seeing patients is an entirely different world than reading about something on the internet. Moreso, reading about the same problem on the internet as it walks into your clinic are two entirely different situations.

The system is broke. The entire philosophy of modern medicine is inept. Attempting to remove disease from the body is akin to trying to remove darkness from a room. You can only give a dark room light if you want to see, just as you can only give a diseased person health if you want them to be healthy again. This is common sense. And the movie illustrates this perfectly.
½ April 13, 2014
Just another plant-based documentary highlighting the fact a diet high in animal protein causes disease and ill health in the body.
April 13, 2014
The information was well presented and engaging. I would like to see more films take on a measured approach to serious subjects like health and well being. There is a bit of the conspiracy theory of big government and big pharma against the little man/ farmer- but some of the practices of the USDA fuel these theories instead of putting them out.
I watched the film for a second time and rate is one of the best in the genre.
September 5, 2013
I changed my diet after watching this. Enough said.
August 19, 2013
I have all ways like Rex Reed, but he weighs more than I would consider healthy.
That how one gets fat, putting old ideas about taste satisfaction over new science about how our bodies work. I am a regular guest at fitrxbrentwood That's Fit RX a fitness, weight loss, and anti-aging treatment center. I love what loves me back, water is my favorite drink. Long live the bod and in good health, high quality of life.
½ August 13, 2013
Reinforced what I already knew. Try and eat meat and drink milk after watching this. Good times.