Forsaking All Others - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forsaking All Others Reviews

jjnxn
½ January 10, 2014
Lightweight and frothy comedy made infinitely better by the cast. Comedy wasn't Crawford's forte but she handles herself well here although Gable takes top honors. Billie Burke is her usual daffy delight.
neffielee
½ August 13, 2009
A beautiful love triangle made even better with the great talents of Crawford, Gable, and Montgomery. Sometimes what we are looking for truly is right in front of us. Stylish, fun, and terrific rapport add to the charm and character of the movie. Dyl - Have you ever walked biles and biles in the rain?
½ August 10, 2015
It's a fine film, but not very memorable for any of the actors involved, but especially for Joan Crawford, who does nothing here but read her lines.
July 1, 2010
Forsaking All Others (1935)

This is a slightly better than average 1930's screwball, romantic-comedy with W.S. Van Dyke directing. Robert Montgomery, Joan Crawford, Clark Gable and Rosalind Russell, are at the top of their game. Everybody is rich, jet-setter types in tails, top-hats, and fancy ball gowns.

Jeffrey Williams (Gable) is met at the New York dock by one of his old friends, Shemp (Charles Butterworth). Jeff has just returned from Madrid and is planning on asking his childhood crush, Mary Clay (Crawford) to marry him. When they arrive at a party in progress, he's shocked to find that Mary is already hapily engaged to his other friend, Dillon Todd (Montgomery).

Jeff swallows his disappointment, especially when Mary asks him to walk her down the isle, and resigns himself to getting appropriately drunk. However, an old flame of Dillon's, Connie Barnes (Frances Drake), shows up at his apartment and talks Dill into running away with her and impulsively get married; thus leaving Mary at the alter.

Jeff tries to console her. But, Mary is determined to get with Dillon even if it's behind Connie's back to the disgust of Jeff, who frankly can't take it anymore. Will Mary get her act together and realize the man for her?
½ August 27, 2009
Forsaking All Others (1934) -- [7.0] -- This early screwball comedy stars Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, and Robert Montgomery as best friends caught in a love triangle. The three stars keep things light and fun, with colorful support from Charles Butterworth, Billie Burke, and Rosalind Russell (in one of her earliest roles). While Gable and Crawford appeared together in several movies, I think I prefer the whimsical chemistry Crawford has here with Montgomery. My favorite scenes are theirs, especially when their characters decide to run away for a private evening together that involves crashing their car, tripping over rocks, and falling into a pig pen. Ah, screwball comedies. It helps that they're working from a fast-paced and witty screenplay adaptation by Joseph Mankiewicz. Director W.S. Van Dyke's style isn't as polished or pronounced as Howard Hawks', but with solid writing and acting, "Forsaking All Others" is worth a look for fans of the genre.
July 16, 2008
I really enjoyed this movie and it was my first time seeing Gable and Crawford in action together, and it was a good one to start with. The plot is rather normal, but the performances were great. There was a lot of tension between all three of the main characters and at some points you really weren't sure if the plot would follow like it normal does. Crawford was ravishing in the film, and I thought the few scenes she had with Rosalind Russell went well. I really enjoyed the tension between Gable and Crawford, and the fact that you don't really get a "big" kiss between the two... different but it just leaves you wanting more!
½ August 10, 2015
January 11, 2014
one of the firdecoe production f ths ovictum st
January 18, 2014
Joan Crawford in a screwball comedy? This seems even weirder than when she awkwardly danced with Fred Astaire. Joan is again paired with Clark Gable (who I'm still not a big fan of) and the two are set to be married. Robert Montgomery plays her childhood best friend who is set to be the best man, so I'm sure you can guess that a comic love triangle ensues. W.S. Van Dyke (The Thin Man) directed the film from a script by the great Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All about Eve). Since I'm not a big fan of Gable or Crawford, I can't help but think I'd have liked the film a whole lot more if the leads were someone like Cary Grant and Myrna Loy instead.
jjnxn
½ January 10, 2014
July 1, 2010
Forsaking All Others (1935)

June 28, 2010
good drama great cast
November 1, 2009
One of my favorite classics. The trio of Montgomery, Gable, and Crawford is unbeatable.
½ August 27, 2009
½ August 24, 2009
Robert Montgomery (not to be confused with Robert Young, who looks just like him, and also made several movies with Joan around this time), Joan, and Clark Gable. Joan is beautiful, if a bit frizzy-haired. Billie Burke (Glinda!) is her daffy self, Frances Drake is slinky and evil (and wears a dress so clingy I swear I could see her crack). Clark Gable is Clark Gable.
neffielee
½ August 13, 2009
August 12, 2009
A very entertaining story. Joan Crawford was charismatic and delightful to watch! Also a great performance from Charles Butterworth. Keep your ears open, he has the quite the sense of humor- it'll get you laughing!

I would have loved to see just a little bit more time spent between Crawford and Gable on screen- I think they had good chemistry, and would have enjoyed seeing more of it!

Great movie, though!