Four Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Wives Reviews

jjnxn
½ July 27, 2008
Follow-up to Four Daughters is okay but pushes the mawkish sentimentality pretty hard. Most of the cast perform well, Frank McHugh is most appealing as Lola's flummoxed husband, and Priscilla Lane is good in her bruised sadness. The one actor who is terrible and throws the whole enterprise off is Jeffrey Lynn, supposedly an ideal man he is attractive but a dull and bland presence and the constant comparison to the magnetic John Garfield who is superimposed throughout only makes him worse. Plus he must be the most unconvincing orchestra conductor ever!
½ March 31, 2014
They say geniuses die young.

In the movie Four Daughters we saw the daughters of Adam Lemp all grown up and become married. Their lives are all over the place, but one of the daughters becomes a widow when her husband unexpectantly dies. As she begins to recover from the tragedy, she falls in love with a new man, only to discover she is pregnant with her dead husband's baby...

"Well I am here...and I ain't getting one bit of attention either."

Michael Curtiz, director of White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawks, Yankee Doodle Dandee, Four Daughters, We're No Angels, Breaking Point, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Kid Galahad, delivers Four Wives. The storyline for this picture is straightforward and fairly slow, but the settings and characters are well placed and written. The acting is pretty solid and the cast includes Priscilla Lane, Claude Rains, Eddie Albert, May Robson, and John Garfield.

"He don't need no education. That's for sissies."

I watched this movie because it was directed by the marvelous Michael Curtiz. I also did enjoy Four Daughters. I can tell you I didn't think this was as good as that movie and the film was too slow and kind of boring. I did want to see what happened to the characters, so the movie does keep you invested in the plot, but this is far from one of Curtiz's better pictures.

"It's your career. It's not your baby."

Grade: B-
September 14, 2015
good sequel to '4 daughters'
½ March 31, 2014
They say geniuses die young.

"Well I am here...and I ain't getting one bit of attention either."

"He don't need no education. That's for sissies."

"It's your career. It's not your baby."

Grade: B-
jjnxn
½ July 27, 2008
January 22, 2008
Love it, this is the sequel to four daughters, there are four girls in my family, and I can definately relate.