Four Daughters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Daughters Reviews

September 5, 2010
For the most part, this movie has a good story, but it has some predictable elements and boring scenes. Overall, an okay movie.
jjnxn
July 27, 2008
Quaint is as good a word as any to describe this film, that's not always a bad thing though especially with a cast as good as this. Claude Rains and May Robson keep the schmaltz to a minimum, Priscilla is very pretty and best of all is John Garfield, wonderfully contemporary even in this slice of Americana.
August 27, 2013
Good for its time period, Four Daughters is entertaining despite being overly sentimental.
½ April 4, 2008
John Garfield's debut and from the moment he makes his entrance, wow!
Interesting story, everybody is great in the movie, james mchugh is of course wonderful as is claude raines, there is some comedy, some romance, drama, some suspense, whatever, but it is Garfield, who is this movie. four daughters was suppossed to be the launch for the other male lead, i forgot his name, (jefrrey lynn?), but it didn't happen, instead they ended up redoing alll of the publicity around john garfield because became he so suddenly became extremely popular.
½ January 25, 2008
When I first started watching this, I thought the plot was going to be so fluffy it wouldn't be worth seeing again, but when John Garfield enters the picture, he really shakes things up! And I think that is when I fell in love with John Garfield.
The sequel films, Four Wives and Four Mothers are quite lovely, but they lack the drama that keeps you wanting more.
½ September 28, 2007
most people have seen the remake with Frank Sinatra. I love this original one better and it's a trilogy called: Four Wives and Four Mothers!
March 2, 2014
Keep smiling, dad!

The dean of a prestigious music organization has four beautiful daughters who are coming of age and share his affection of music; of course, their love is more for the current wave of music than the classics like their dad. All four girls support each other, but as they select boyfriends, it becomes quite apparent their lives are heading in separate directions. How will their upbringing impact their direction and can they stay a cohesive unit?

"If one of my three sisters were a brother, you'd all have black eyes."

Michael Curtiz, director of White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, We're No Angels, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Kid Galahad, delivers Four Daughters. The storyline for this picture is interesting because each daughter's story and direction are fascinating. The acting is also very good and the cast includes John Garfield, Claude Rains, May Robson, and Priscilla Lane.

"It's homes like this that are the backbone of the nation."

Four Daughters is a movie I DVR'd off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it was created by the legend Michael Curtiz. I found the film fun in a Little Women kind of way and it definitely contains dynamic and interesting characters. This isn't my favorite Michael Curtiz picture, but was definitely worth my time. I strongly recommend seeing this picture.

"Scratch my name off your birth certificate."

Grade: B
July 1, 2012
A household is comprised of a musical family in which a father (Claude Rains) conducts a choir and band of out his four daughters (Priscilla, Rosemary, and Lola Lane, along with Gale Page). In a process of a year, all begin to take diverting routes, two falling in love with the same guy, ensuing a strange love triangle, another one gets married, while the remaining one gets accepted into school. To me, this leads to a disappointing, mediocre film, especially under "Casablanca" director Michael Curtiz. It says this is a musical drama, but it's just relentless protégé of situations revolving around the four daughters that slightly go somewhere, with minimal singing and if there is any, it's not memorable. Passable, but forgettable entertainment.
March 26, 2012
John Garfield gets all of the acclaim for Four Daughters but Priscilla Lane is the real star of the show.
½ June 5, 2011
*** (out of four)

Adam is the head of a very musical family. His four daughters are talented musicians and looking for love. The family also runs a boarding house, taking in stray musicians. One of which is a onery orchestra arranger, played by John Garfield. He falls for the youngest daughter.

This is classic Hollywood melodrama that is charming and entertaining. Best of all is Garfield in his first Oscar nominated role.
½ March 29, 2011
Good though not great "classic". A little too soap opera like for my taste. John Garfield is great in his first movie role. Especially liked Priscilla Lane's performance as youngest sister Ann.
September 28, 2010
Tuesday, September 28, 2010

(1938) Four Daughters
DRAMA

Unusual drama vehilce for Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) who is known for directing adventure films. A better way to describe this film was a popular soap opera during that time about four musical daughters starring Priscilla Lane, spawning 2 more sequels- "Four Wives (1939)" and then "Four Mothers (1941)" and a retelling of Four Daughters called "Daughters Courageous"! This was also John Garfield's movie debut!

3 out of 4 stars
March 9, 2005
GRTEAT CLASSIC, CLAUDE RAINS HEADS A WONDERFUL CAST. ONE OF JOHN GARFIELDS EARLIER ROLES, AND IT IS VERY CLEAR WHY HE ROCKETED TO STARDOM AFTER THIS, EVERY SCENE HE IS IN STANDS OUT. PRISCILLA LANE IS ALSO GOOD IN HER ROLE.