—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Four Feathers Reviews

Christian C

April 4, 2013
Don't care what anyone else says. This is my second-favorite Heath Ledger film (second only to Brokeback Mountain). And Wes Bentley -- for all his personal problems -- is FRICKIN' HAWT in this film. (Wes -- hit me up on Flixster if you wanna date, m'kay?) Costumes and location magic? Holla!
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
Barring the lame and predictable love story, this movie was pretty great. Unique plot, as well as the always super badass Djimon Hounsou. In this one he plays a desert comando covered in white powder with neato hair and decor. In fact, I wish he had been the main focus. But alas, Heath Ledger was ok as well, as was Wes Bentley (once he had his cool scar makeup anyways). And Michael Sheen has yet to be in a bad role.
Conner R

January 10, 2010
I've actually always found this to be a good movie. Even though it is constantly bashed by critics, I think it's a beautiful story. It's not perfect, but it's not bad by any means. The acting was good and the scope of the film was as broad as an epic.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
I tried so hard to keep awake on this Movie. What a shame great casting but very poor film.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 30, 2007
good cast, slow film
Emily A

July 15, 2007
Have you ever watched a movie and realized halfway through that you're not so much watching as waiting for it to end? This movie is way too long and doesn't keep your interest; unless you are ravenously interested by turn of the century British imperial warfare. I can probably count on one hand the things I liked about this movie. I kind of liked how Heath Ledger utterly fails the male assertion of bravery conundrum inherent to a Western at the very beginning of the movie. He then spends the rest of the movie trying to restore his honour to himself and redeem himself in the eyes of his friends and former fiancee. It all sounds good on papaer, but is aggressively boring to watch. This movie is big and sandy, and little else. Disappointing.
deano
deano

May 27, 2007
This version of the thrice-filmed story to be totally captivating, at least as good as the 1939 original.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
really good flick.
garyX
garyX

January 1, 2007
Exremely flat and dreary retelling of the classic tale of derring-do full of pointless slo mo and unconvincing action, casted with pretty boy actors who have zero charisma or chemistry. Reasonably nice to look at, but ultimately dull.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
Thankfully not as pro-heroism and war as feared. Unfortunately the love story doesn't touch as much as it should, Kate Hudson just doesn't fit in somehow. But at least the cinematography is really pretty and the big battle is well done. And like so often, the great Djimon Hounsou steals the show.
Rico Z

July 11, 2006
This movie was very much overlooked when it was released in 2002. The cast is excellent (even Kate Hudson is better than I expected for a rare appearance in a period piece), the cinematography is amazing and it does the original film justice. In the age of the Hollywood remake, it's rare when a new version can do an old version justice. Definitely a good view if you are in the mood for a period drama involving a love triangle.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

April 7, 2011
Remarkable cenimatography, an excellent score and very good performances certainly made it above average. However, the slow pace, questionable editing and underwhelmingness kept it from being the truly spectacular epic it wants to be. But, then it got to that second act, where the film makes a steady, but drastic advancement in compellingness until it fully realizes its potential perfectly at the point where it requires it the most. Ultimately, Shekhar Kapur's "The Four Feathers" is initially a fine but underwhelming epic, only eventually land its mark to an extent worth waiting for.
Dannielle A

February 15, 2008
It was boring and hard to understand at times. It was also difficult to sit through the violence.
Anthony V

May 2, 2007
The cast excels in this above par remake.
Nick G

June 18, 2007
I just remember this movie being incredibly boring and giving me a headache
December 3, 2013
It's quite a bold move to open this period epic with a football game of all things, one that includes Heath Ledger and a bunch of hotties going at it on the field. But director Shekhar Kapur (Elizabeth) can only keep up the ruse for so long before we get the picture: they're playing rugby, the actors are all British officers and The Four Feathers, taken from the 1902 novel by A.E.W. Mason focuses on the 1884 British campaign to attain a key piece of Northern Africa.

Ledger does his best with the material as Harry Feversham, the general's son who resigns on the eve of a battle in the Sudan. His three comrades each send him a white feather, a symbol for cowardice. The fourth is delivered by his fiancee Ethne (Kate Hudson). Talk about a kick in the nads.

From there Harry spends the rest of the movie posing as an Arab and trying to rescue his friends to prove his mettle. It could have been a nice adventure, and it is at times, with brilliantly poetic cinematography from the great Robert Richardson (JFK), who portrays these scenes like beautiful paintings. But then Kapur bogs down the visual awe with stilted profundity.

Then there's the romance angle. Harry's fried Jack (Wes Bentley) does all he can to steal away Ethne, and its a triangle that zaps the film of much needed energy. An to hear Hudson put on a Brit accent defines cringe-inducing, and tat's not even mentioning the character who opens his eyes to the horrors of war after he's blinded. Ugh.
bkco1213
August 3, 2012
9/20/02 - The Four Feathers tries to be an epic in scope like Lawrence of Arabia. It's about a young soldier who quits the British army due to cowardice and then tries to redeem himself in his own eyes and the eyes of his friends. I thought the theme of fighting wars for comrades rather than politics was interesting. I usually like epic movies, but this one didn't quite measure up. The plot was too herky-jerky and wasn't explored in detail. I thought the ending was a major cop-out. I think the book might raise a lot more philosophical questions (about war, friendship, and bravery) and explore them more thoroughly, whereas the movie only skims the surface. Yet another book I'll have to try to read sometime.
May 21, 2012
One of Heath Ledger's best performances. Definitely overlooked by the critics.
phattiekittie
September 24, 2009
If you like 300, Gladiator and movies like Troy, then you'll like this one. From beginning to end The Four Feathers will captivate your mind and keep you thirsting for more.
August 14, 2006
It's, honestly, a really draining movie to watch. I thought all the performances were amazing, especially Heath Ledger, Djimon Honsou and Wes Bentley.