13% Transcendence Apr 18

I Quattro dell'apocalisse (Four of the Apocalypse) Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

May 9, 2010
Spaghetti westerns got darker as the era was approaching it's end. Having explored almost every narrative route possible they began to become more introspective. Lucio brings his signature to this work, and while there's not much action or gore going on there's an always obscure and almost depressing mood that rides along with the characters. Milian shines big time as the vicious chaco, the soundtrack is way too happy for what we are seeing onscreen, maybe that was the idea? Our heroes could have been a bit smarter, who would be willing to share some peyote with a guy like chaco?
Beefy
Beefy

August 20, 2009
Entertaining enough film from the end of the spaghetti western phase. For a Fulci film, there isn't much in the way of gore or graphic violence, but there is a surprising amount of good directorial touches. Worth a look.

Bonus: if you can watch the extras, the most entertaining thing on the whole disc is the 17 minute Fulci / making of, in which Tomas Milian's ego shines through in a very funny way.
Conner R

January 24, 2010
This is to Spaghetti Westerns like Zombi 2 is to horror. It is just all over the place crazy. Between the peyote ritual, full frontal male nudity in the pouring rain at a graveyard and a Charles Manson gunslinger villain, this goes beyond what you might see coming. The hippie soundtrack is a nice touch. I always love a good Lucio Fulci movie to just assure myself that you can never explore enough in film. He really goes where no Italian film maker ever wanted to go.
Patrick D

May 27, 2007
An amazing spagetti western by a horror director.
Christopher B

February 22, 2007
The Maestro's western, and it's really quite good. Though very downbeat and vicious it's a well told story with a great performance from the villain.
Brody M

November 13, 2009
A very disappointing spaghetti western.I dont know what I was expecting but whatever it was, I didnt get it
August 6, 2007
Tomas Milian rules as a Mexican Charles Manson. Lots of gore and rape. Top shelf. I generally find Fulci's stuff to be pretty hit or miss, but he does good here. The pregnent chick is pretty hot too.
July 11, 2007
An atypical western that Fulci pulls off amazingly. It's endearing, yet sorrowful and very much about struggle. Tomas Milian as the Charles Manson-esque character is freaking scary and Lynne Frederick is so sympathetic and vulnerable here. Fabio Testi's face is a little blank here and there, but it seems to be sort of in awe of the events he sees around him. He's stunned and his mind is just storing it away for traumatic future days to come in his life. A personal apocalypse for the four "outcasts of society" is really what the title refers to. Good stuff.
flynnparadox
June 25, 2007
Goofy, interesting western from Fulci (is it me or did ALL Italian genre filmmakers eventually make a western?) has a plot that doesn't make a lick of sense, a good cast and some really gruesome moments here and there. Like all Fulci films, the female lead is humiliated along the way but we are treated to a simply great performance from Tomas Milon for compensation(although he's not in it as much as one would hope.) Anyway, it's not a bad Italian western at all, it's just... a bit nonsensical and stupid at times (what's with the ending with that dog? I found myself actually laughing at that moment, when one should be devastated by all the senseless tragedy.) Check it out if you're a Fulci or Italian Western fan...
May 26, 2013
A very challenging film. Moments of supreme beauty juxtaposed with moments of extreme horror make this movie such a unique and uncompromising journey. The movie is often called a Spaghetti Western but its only similarities to the genre are the setting, the Italian production, and the actors, with stand-out Spaghetti stars Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian. People expecting action will be disappointed, as this is really much more of a drama and character study told in the style of a "Road Movie". Fulci sends his characters in to scenes of unimaginable hell, and there are some truly disturbing moments, even by today's standards. But to Fulci's credit, the film has some very touching moments that rise above even the most terrifying sequences, particularly the entire scene based in the mining town. Overall, a fantastic movie about downtrodden outcasts triumphing over unimaginable adversity. The beautiful 70s soft-rock score is very effective and Fulci provides the best direction of his career. Highly recommended.
November 19, 2012
To be clear from the beginning, Four of the Apocalypse, even if you consider it a Twilight Spaghetti, is definitely not one of the best Spaghetti Westerns. Although some people say that there's depth in the story, I hardly can find it. It's true that some scenes are deeply human and there is even some kind of love (rare in the Italian West), but how about the extreme violence? Some scenes are so sadistically brutal that dominate the entire film. My opinion is that the film leaks of balance. There is rape, murder, skinning alive (in detail), torture, drug taking, cannibalism and... the charm of giving new life. You sure can combine them, but this is not at all succeeded here.
March 24, 2011
Provocative spaghetti western that follows four very different people as they cross the desolate plains together in search of a better life.
Terry T.
December 9, 2009
A film by Lucio Fulci that might be overlooked in his films if not for his great and controversial violence, the film's plot is different from other jobs because Fulci is maintained throughout the duration of the film. That is 103 minutes without a break. The performances are pretty normal, except Tomas Millian that shines in his role of Chaco, which is very similar to Captain Jack Sparrow.
Witchfinder General
November 19, 2009
Synopsis: A spaghetti western by infamous horror director Lucio Fulci.

PROS
Bizarre
The Bad Guy
Michael J. Pollard
The Icy Town
Bloody Action sequences

CONS
Lucio Fulci weak narrative style
The good guy
The woman in distress
Too little action
Cinematography
Score

FINAL ANALYSIS
I am in awe of Lucio Fulci and his dichotomy of great and horrible filmmaking. Most of his movie show flashes of brilliance and just awful filmmaking. It is obvious at time that Fulci was incapable of a completely focused vision and often this lends to his films having a lot of meandering and boring weak narrative with tons of wasted film. This is the case with this movie. It just mucks along with all the pacing of molasses in antartica. Occasionally there is an inspired moment, but to few are these moments. You want good Fulci check out House of Clocks, The Beyond, Cat In The Brain or Zombie.

Avoid this movie.
megladon8
February 5, 2006
The Ref was very, veyr funny and surprisingly touching. Denis Leary is great, as are Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. And it was really neat to see J.K. Simmons :D I love that guy.

Four of the Apocalypse was very disappointing. Considered by many to be oneof the greatest films of Fulci's career...which scares me, because there are some others I would like to see, but if this is as good as they get then :S

The funniest part was watching the documentary on the DVD, where they interview Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian (the two leads) now that they're older, and they are both such RIDICULOUSLY arrogant men. They both think they are the greatest actors in the world. They were both horrendous in the movie. Fabio Testi had this horrible wink he would do with like half of his face and it all just seemed so forced.

It was also really obvious that Fulci was trying to make a horror/western.

Oh ya, and the gore effects suck. Why this was banned in the US I will never know, since no one could possibly find pink liquid the thickness of glue to be even close to resembling blood.