Freelancers

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Freelancers Reviews

Phil H

May 6, 2013
Didn't get much of a release, was pretty much snuck out straight to DVD. The cast is quite epic if you read the cover, De Niro, Whitaker errr...50 Cent and um Vinnie Jones, well come on its got De Niro and Whitaker sheesh!.

A crooked cop thriller, wait, a run of the mill unoriginal crooked cop thriller to be more precise. 50 (man that's easy to type) joins the NYPD with his two best buds. De Niro is his new boss in a special task force division, the same division that 50's father was once a member of before he was murdered. So far so good for 50 nickels errr Cent, only one problem...this division is crooked! not really a surprise seeing as I told you already. Huh maybe I should reword that, to hell with it!.

In all honesty this film is actually a good watch, well the first half or so. As we watch 50 and his two mates join the force and get with their respective partners things get real interesting. We learn early on all is not kosher in this city with the thin blue line.

50 is under the wing of Whitaker who is your stereotypical drug using corrupt cop, he ignores crimes, sells narcotics and kills people without thinking. Naturally 50 slowly gets corrupted himself by this lifestyle. 50's other two friends (one black, one white) find themselves with racist partners. But to make things even we get racism from both sides of the coin, the white rookie gets a neo Nazi looking redneck and the black rookie gets a black fat middle aged partner who dislikes whites.

This early part of the film is terrific as it shows some excellent dialog between these new cop partnerships, racial tension and violence. Everything is pretty cliched and old but its still grabs your attention or should I say morbid curiosity. The scary thing is each racist cop duo do have seemingly accurate points to make about each others people, its not very PC but the truth hurts and in America I'm sure it happens for real. What the older black cop says about his own people (mainly the younger generation) I'm sure hit home with many, clearly in the script for a reason.

As fast as we get this exciting stuff it fades away and we are left with just a dull informer cop thriller. 50 simply sees the error of his ways and decides to go undercover to stitch up the crooked cop ringleaders. Its weird because you are half expecting a really good racial bust up flick within the police force, but that just slips away.

The big guns in the film elevate this greatly, without them it would sink, of course they are very good, you know who I mean. Unfortunately they also show 50 for the very very average actor he is, you could say he's learning the ropes but no, you can see this guy ain't no actor. I guess this was a vehicle for 50 Cent because I can't really see any other reason for it to have been made, its a very dated concept which has been done many times before much better. Good start, had potential but totally loses its way from the midway point I'm afraid.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

February 2, 2013
"Freelancers was a miss for me. I didn't like the movie and I was extremely disappointed to see Mr. De Niro associate himself with such a bad film. The main character, that being the rapper 50 cent, was dull and unimpressive. I didn't care what happened. I just wanted it over with.
The movie is another dirty cop film that brings nothing new to the table and is forgetful. I won't be seeing this again."
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

August 28, 2012
To serve, protect and steal.

Not a great movie! The Plot is really weak from start to finish, the story has lots of holes and it feels really made up on the spot. I will be honest and the only reason I watched this film was because Robert De Niro starred in it. Usually his films are great along with great acting but his appearance in this did not help the movie any. The film tries so hard to be Training Day, but it just reminds us how unique that movie really was. Watch at own risk!

The son of a slain NYPD officer joins the force, where he falls in with his father's former partner and a team of rogue cops. His new boss, Sarcone, will see if he has what it takes to be rogue through many trials and tribulations of loyalty, trust and respect. When the truth about his father's death is revealed revenge takes him over and he won't stop until justice has been truly served.
judebd
June 29, 2014
Horrible horrible portrait of Jackson (50c). He should not have been used for this movie. I reckon USED is the proper term for this kind of blunders which will not have any discretion on the term of ACTING. Any movie will be better off without these type of people.

The movie ONLY just relay on power performances from Forest Whitaker and Robert De Niro.
Suffice to say complete waste of time.
March 20, 2014
This is a movie really bullshit. Robert De Niro bad, Forest W. bad, 50 Cent.. Well... Bad! Only 1,5 point, and I've are very good.
September 6, 2012
A poorly written, poorly acted cop drama.
May 8, 2013
50 CENT NEEDS TO STICK TO RAPPING
April 3, 2013
Poorly written and equally acted, this cop drama is full of stereotypes and no surprises other than how actors like Robert DeNiro and Forest Whitaker got involved in the first place.
February 1, 2013
A great cop film. One to watch.
filmhipster.com
December 14, 2012
It's exploitative, unrealistic, unlistenable, unwatchable and sets American race relations back 100 years - I'm not sure what audience 'Freelancers' geared itself towards but it wasn't me...Curtis Jackson is an awful actor with no stage presence whatsoever and Robert DeNiro needs to review his scripts before accepting roles.
December 12, 2012
Choppy, cliche, Unrealistic. I think De Niro owed 50 a favor by signing up for this one
August 27, 2012
law should punish people making this kind of film. De niro is a sinner for doing this one
November 19, 2012
Este à (C) um filme sem heróis, sem ritmo narrativo, e personagens sem moral construído sobre clichês e alimentado por performances descartáveis. Como resultado, à (C) tambà (C)m um filme sem senso de propósito, nenhuma autenticidade e sem vida.
November 2, 2012
I'm sorry, but does anybody else realize that 50cent cant act?!?!?! F+
October 15, 2012
A mess. With everyone being on over-acting autopilot, the plot having more holes than Swiss cheese, when all the twists and turns are revealed in the end, I wasn't sure if I lost track or just didn't care.
October 14, 2012
although the side actors are great "50 cent" is not an ideal lead role supporter as you can barley hear what he is saying.
jarrad b.
October 9, 2012
Good story with the protagonists being shades of good and bad. Very interesting and a good watch
September 30, 2012
De Niro and Whitaker paying the bills. Nothing more. One of the worst films of the year thus far. Bleh!
Jason D.
September 30, 2012
A very good cops and robbers drama that stays true to the genre. Three life long friends try to make their marks as three rookie cops each given their own Training Officer that will shape what they eventually become be it good or bad. The leader of the 3 is Maldanado or Malo for short, (50 Cent) he gets paired up with a crooked cop named LaRue (played by Forest Whittaker) who only cares seem to be doing drugs, sleeping w/ prostitutes, and taking dirty money for his "boss" Sarcone. (DeNiro) Sarcone is a veteran cop who controls all the dirty money and drugs and shares it amongst his loyal followers of cops gone bad, and Malo happens to be the son of Sarcones partner from the past so Malo quickly because his new pet project.
His two friends get hooked in with differant T.O's, Lucas a white guy with two black best friends gets partenered with a racist testosterone filled cop that doesn't click well with Lucas or his views.
A.D. gets the luckiest with a veteran cop who does his job and stays involved in the community w/ a football league he coaches, and brings A.D. on as an "apprentice".
But that serves as a backdrop to Malo learning things that maybe he doesn't want to know but he keeps pressing the right buttons and pumping the right people for the info he needs. But can he figure it all out before he gets too deep? Or before one of his two partners decides to cross a line that he can't come back from?
This is a good film for those of us that like gangsta films. And I am usually not a fan of 50 Cents acting, but he carries the movie through keeping it action filled where your not sure who's side everyone is on.
Of coarse DeNiro is always great and Whitakers performance was nothing short of outstanding. Given his limited role he gives just the right balance to make his character steal the show.
So Bottom line is 3 1/2 from me. No departed but still a movie to check out!