Fresh

Fresh Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

February 16, 2013
Corky: Only reason you ain't the man is you still too goddamn little, but, when you get bigger, you gonna be the man.

"Risking it all, he invents new rules... to beat the odds in a deadly game of survival."

Fresh is a solid, ghetto drama about a young 12 year old boy who runs drugs to support himself, but loses out on any sort of a real childhood in the process. The movie isn't perfect, with moments of shaky writing and shakier acting by some, but for the most part it's well acted and well written. It's nothing necessarily new, with a ghetto crime backdrop, but the character of Fresh is a fresh and well rounded enough character to make us feel like we're watching this type of movie for the first time.

Fresh has a lot of problems, especially considering he is only eight years old. His mothers gone and we can only assume dead. His father is an alcoholic, who he only sees in the park to play chess. His sister has left his aunts house and is a dope fiend who shacks up with whatever dealer she can. He runs drugs for local dealers to make money so that one day he can escape the ghetto, but the question is will he be able to escape the violence of the job he does in time?

Sean Nelson really is brilliant as Fresh. He exudes a maturity and adulthood presence into a character that is years beyond his age. The rest of the cast is nothing too special, but they aren't too bad, for the most part, either. Samuel L. Jackson is easily the biggest name in this and he has a small, but nonetheless important role as Fresh's absent and alcoholic father.

Fresh could just be considered another urban drama about the life of the street, but it does manage to be better than that. It's a movie that's well worth a look and may possibly be one of the better movies of this type out there. If you're a fan of the genre, it's definitely a can't miss film.
James A

March 12, 2008
Samuel L. Jackson wasn't his usual over the top self. Instead he brings a great performance to a small role.
Alexander W

January 26, 2008
I loved this film as a teen. Yet I think I would get slightly bored today, because its a one of story and doesn't really narrate into anything contemporary.
garyX
garyX

March 4, 2007
One of the best of the host of urban dramas based in the projects, an uncompromising tale of inner city violence and crime seen through the eyes of a 12 year old boy.
Todd S

June 15, 2007
A pretty good and very underrated movie. This kid is a genius and the ending was great. The only negative would have to be all the ebonics throughout which make it some what hard to follow.
John B

January 13, 2010
Interesting narcotics story simply because we have the 12 year old as the main pusher (no pun) of the plot. Sam Jackson is not shouting in this one.
mattsigur1
mattsigur1

June 26, 2011
While this movie has its scenes (the chess matches), I think a lot of early '90s independent film got by with shock value and relentlessly profanity. This film is no different. Look, I don't give a shit about cussing and all, I mean this film is about a teenaged drug runner in NYC, but my point is - shock and profanity isn't a good cover for bad dialogue, it can't cover up the fact that some parts of this film were lazily-written.
Tom S

June 19, 2007
An endearing story, beautifully photographed.
qtmemoe
qtmemoe

April 16, 2007
Smart Kid...
razsurferdude
April 5, 2013
Amazing, griping film. Powerfull acting by young Sean Nelson, a very true but yet sad story about a young boy trying to get himself together & out of hard times with atleast 100 or somthing dollars hidden in a old beat-up can @ a train track. Young "Fresh" who got the nickname being young + slick got the name, lives in a foster care while his sister is a drugy stripper, and he hangs out playing chess with his dad (Samuel). What a great cast with great acting that moves u while ur watching or jus finishd it.
May 13, 2010
A powerful urban-drama that deserves mention alongside Boyz N The Hood and Menace II Society amongst the best entries in the genre. In fact - and I'm about to say something that some people may consider to be heresy - this one might even be a little better than those fine titles. Certainly, it does have a more unique perspective and this goes beyond just the geographical differences (the earlier two films transpired in South Central L.A. whereas this takes place in New York City). One thing that sets this one apart is that it's as much a thriller as it is a drama - the main character is given surprising depth and development (surprising since he's only 12 years-old) and there is plenty of tension ans suspense inherent in his dilemma. Add to that a taut, unpredictable storyline that keeps viewers guessing and on the edge of their seats and the end result is a compelling experience from start to finish.

Another aspect of this film that sets it apart from most other genre efforts is the musical score. This is not something I usually discuss in most of my other reviews but it deserves mention in this instance. Absent is the aggressive, rap-heavy soundtrack that typically permeates most films of this sort. In it's place is an understated composition provided by no other than Stewart Copeland (that's right, the drummer of The Police). I remember seeing this for the first time and think I'd rented the wrong film when I witnessed the opening scene, which features Copeland's score playing over images of a deserted intersection that looks like something out of an old Western. Eventually, we're shown a brief montage of how that intersection develops into part of what would become modern-day New York (circa 1994, that is). That was when I knew that I'd be in for a unique but fascinating ride.

And it doesn't stop there. This film continues to defy conventions as it goes along. After all, how many hood films have the game of chess as such an integral element of the plot? That game gets plenty of exposure here both literally (the title character often meets with his father, played by Samuel L. Jackson, in the park for matches) and figuratively (the younger man must apply the lessons learned from his father to a much riskier and potentially deadly real-life game) and this adds a layer of complexity to an already involved plot-line. By effectively combining so many diverse elements Boaz Yakin (a longtime screenwriter who was making his directorial debut here), has crafted a film that is simultaneously like and unlike other films about the inner-city.

In the tradition of the best urban dramas, Fresh doesn't glamorize life in the hood. After all, this is the sort of place where a 12-year-old has to push drugs in order to survive and where children in the same age range can be brutally murdered in broad daylight at a local basketball court. This is an often harsh existence and Fresh doesn't shrink from depicting it as such but neither does it revel in the bloodshed. Most of the violence is limited to only a few scenes with some of the more potentially graphic moments (such as the beating of two characters to death with a metal chain) taking place just out of view of the camera. There is no doubt that Fresh often dishes out some tough, uncompromising material, but none of it is gratuitous and that makes it all the more realistic and disturbing.

Thankfully, Yakin's excellent vision extended to his casting choices. As the somewhat taciturn title character, Sean Nelson, making his screen debut here, does a superlative job of depicting the toughness and keen intelligence concealed beneath the seemingly unassuming exterior. This performance is every bit as assured as that of another child thespian, Natalie Portman, who made her debut in another 1994 film, The Professional. It's a shame that Nelson, unlike Portman, hasn't done much since then (although he did get some work in the immediate wake of this film) because based on his performance here, he definitely has what it takes. Luckily, the young actor has a strong cast supporting him. As Fresh's alcoholic, chess-playing father, Samuel L. Jackson, who could also be seen that same year stealing scenes in his star-making turn in Pulp Fiction, proves that he can be just as riveting when circumstances call for a lower-key. Too often these days, the actor is better known for his more flamboyant performances so much so that it's easy to forget that he's capable of much more. Roles like this give the veteran performer a chance to display some of his less-publicized range as an actor. Other notables in the cast include Giancarlo Esposito (who, like Jackson, was once a Spike Lee regular) as Fresh's mentor and the local smack dealer, Esteban and N'Bushe Wright as Fresh's addicted older sister, Nichole.

In its own way Fresh is just as strong of an indictment of modern-day inner-city life as the aforementioned Boyz N The Hood and Menace II Society but it never resorts to the sort of sermonizing that the earlier films occasionally courted. Rather, it uses subtlety to get its points across and nowhere is that more apparent than in the final scene, where one character must finally bear the emotional weight of his decisions. Ultimately, this is just one of many moments that set this film apart and make it just as special and synonymous with its title now as it was when it first crossed our collective vision.
onyxchris
November 5, 2009
"Dont touch my chess set!' Yo real real deep movie. Sad when he had to shoot the dog,......But anyway, youngster selling drugs, theres some in every hood, and each one of them has a a story of their own. I like how this movie brings it to light, if you aint seen it watch, its on some real heavy life situations.
bekaboodabugaboo
December 17, 2007
very hood, very intelectual, the boy was a young genius and samuel l. portrayed a good father figure
luvs2pleazzz
November 30, 2007
I am a S.L. JACKSON fan, but this movie disappointed me since he had a very small role. The movie itself was very slow, although I did manage to stay awake. A 12 year old takes down some druggies in a smart way but although I am blond and sometime need a picture drawn for me, I didnt understand the last scene with the boy and Jackson.... why were there tears in the boys eyes? It kinda left me hangen.
rashidamccuiston
September 28, 2007
This movie showcases one child's strength and brilliance in a way that not every viewer can easily understand.
jhuerne21
June 26, 2007
PURE INTELLIGENCE IN THIS FILM. BORN A CLASSIC. THE WAY THE WHOLE FILM WAS WRITTEN, DIRECTED & PRODUCED . . . CLEVERLY DONE. I LOVED IT.
April 16, 2007
Great film from start to finish with great acting all over. Samuel Jackson plays a small part in this film but his character provides rationale for the strength and smarts in the lead character, the kid called Fresh. The final chess game between father and son at the close is priceless.
December 24, 2013
intelligent, gritty, violent and heartbreaking filed with great performances from samuel l jackson, giancarlo esposito, n bushe wright and newcomer sean nelson.
filmlover1994
November 29, 2013
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film.
October 7, 2013
A bright young African-American boy attempts to survive life in the city by acting as an errand boy for a drug dealer in this thoughtful, sharply plotted drama. Fresh, the young man must use his delivery jobs to support himself and his heroin addict sister, receiving nothing from his distant, alcoholic father but the occasional chess games at the park. His intelligence and quiet determination serve him well, as he wins the trust of his employer and settles into an unpleasant but survivable routine. Even this small comfort disappears, however, when Fresh accidentally witnesses the killing of a classmate and becomes a potential target himself. Forced into an impossible situation, he puts his experience and strategic ability to good use, developing a tricky plan to protect his own life and defeat the killers. First-time director Boaz Yakin emphasizes restraint and realism, presenting potentially sensationalistic material with a minimum of violence and flash. Instead, attention is placed on the strong, layered performances, particularly Sean Nelson as Fresh and Samuel L. Jackson as his embittered father