Fresh Horses Reviews

September 6, 2010
Teen stars take on a more serious subject and characters. This movie is good, the actors do a good job, and the movie is interesting. I liked it.
iLeo
November 6, 2007
This is one those movies that you wish that McCarthy and Ringwald would not have made.
May 8, 2010
Interesting enough I actually saw this movie. It served the one purpose of signaling the end of the Brat-Pack's run of 1980s teen-young yuppie movies, though Fresh Horses wasn't directed by John Hughes. Maybe it should have been because this was just an absurd movie. Took itself way too seriously and tried to make the Brat Packers look like they've all grown up and translate well into modern day leading men and ladies. Um, I don't think so. All this movie did was seal the career casket for Ringwald, McCarthy & Co.
½ April 1, 2008
Fresh Horses is a film with an adult story aimed at using the onscreen chemistry of Andrew McCarthy and Molly Ringwald, in a serious love story. Ringwald is Jewel, a mysterious country girl, all pink lips and tousled curly hair. She meets Matt (McCarthy) a college upper middle class guy with a pretty stable and boring life. He's engaged to the perfect women, and has your typical annoying university friends. She has a past and a reputation, but he becomes smitten with her and attempts to change his life so they can be together. Since this film was made in the late 80's; there needs to be a twist; Andrew McCarthy provides a sympathetic character-trying to do the right thing. In this respects it is an unusual movie and one that is well worth watching.
½ September 2, 2007
The story is the problem with this movie. It's well acted, for the most part. Mortensen, especially does a great turn as Ringwald's "husband". The rest of the acting is very good also. Unfortunately, none of the other actors really get anything good to say.

The story is not very believable and way too melodramatic. Also, I felt like I would rather see a movie about the parts of these folk's lives that THIS movie skipped instead of this movie.

Worth seeing once if you are a fan of Ringwald, McCarthy or Mortensen.
May 21, 2007
I never saw this good of a performance from Andrew McCarthy and Molly Ringwald. I have never heard of this movie. I was so impressed by it. I was surprised to see "toombs" from X-Files - CREEPY! And to see Viggo Morteson. And Ben Stiller! I was thankful for no 80's nudity. I was waiting for it. But I really hated the end. I won't give it away...but the tears in McCartney's eyes did it for me. I cried.I honestly didn't think an 80's movie could be this good and not cheesy. I mean its NOT that good. Its some what cliche'....but Andrew McCarthy did a good job. And so did Molly Ringwald. I was surprised by the story line and everything. And you will be shocked by who is in it. Why wasn't this a more popular movie. Maybe people thought it stunk?? I don't know. I cried at the end. I know so many people that need that chance. That second chance at life. Maybe that is why it got to me.
April 20, 2012
I saw this picture in the theater when I was in high school with my choir friends. It was a convoluted and dull character study.
½ April 5, 2012
Probably one of the worst movies ever made. I watched it once and that was sufficient. The only thing that could have saved this movie would have been a flying saucer landing in a scene halfway through and kidnapping the entire cast.
½ April 19, 2011
At the time, it might have seemed like a good idea to re-pair Ringwald and McCarthy for another 80's romantic drama. It was not. The film is worsened by David Foster's cheesy score. Molly Hagen does give a nice performance in a small role.
November 30, 2009
Everything I have read concerning Fresh Horses has been negative. I can't figure out why. Granted, it doesn't have the staying power or cultural influence that The Breakfast Club has, but I think Fresh Horses is being lined up against some very strong competition.

Now, being born in the late 80's, I have no way of knowing the acclaim or reception that the films from the Brat Pack enjoyed. What I do know is that this movie is better than most of the junk coming out today.

As a college student, I enjoyed the campus setting -- and I believe that most of the characters are well acted. I think Molly Ringwald and Ben Stiller stood out the most. I will acquiesce and admit that Andrew McCarthy was less than stellar, but his acting in no way ruined the movie.

Some of the reviews commented on the length of the movie -- and maybe it is a tad bit too long, but it felt like a sprint to me, considering the last movie I watched was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Overall, I would give it between a 7 and 8 out of 10. I think a lot of my friends at school will enjoy this lesser-known film from the Brat Pack!
½ July 3, 2009
One of the worst movies ever made. A movie so bad that I broke up with the girl I went with who wanted to see it, she kept sinking lower and lower into her seat as I would look over at her during the movie.

The story is so stupid it defies explaining or trying to figure out how someone could come up with a story board to sell this movie to a studio. I would suspect that whomever fell for it got fired for being clueless.

Ok college kid meets girl, finds out she is underage and lives in a shack in Kentucky and really.....yea that is about it. Kings Island is a meeting place or something and the horses, well, you see them galloping in a field but that is about it.

A movie that makes you feel like you just threw-up in bed after a late nite binge and no amount of showering will make you feel better the next morning.
½ July 6, 2005
Someone To Watch Over Me is a crime drama driercted by Ridley Scott starring Tom Berenger, Lorraine Bracco, and Mimi Rogers. It pretty much has your standard plot although Bracco is a treat to watch as the jealous wife of detective Berenger who is protecting Rogers.

Kansas is a forgettable story of tow guys who end up robbing a bank. One has a conscious and finds a girl. Stars Andrew McCarthy, Matt Dillon and Leslie Hope.

Fresh Horses is a tepid romantic drama starring Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy. Also features very early roles by Ben Stiller And Viggo Mortenson.

St. Elmo's Fire is an ensemble piece featuring Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Mare Winningham and Andie McDowell. Directed by Joel Schumacher. It's a story about a group of friends who recently graduated college and are trying to find there way through the madness that was the eighties. It's not a particularly good film but may interest some because of the cast.

Betrayed stars Debra Winger as an FBI agent who infiltrated a white supremacist organization and finds herself falling in love with farmer Tom Berenger who happens to be one of it's leader's. Although the plot is failry predictable I thought the performances were strong enough to make this film work. Berenger, balancing good and evil, is memorable.