The Frisco Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Frisco Kid Reviews

May 15, 2011
Imagine it, you've got Harrison Ford who's literately fresh off Star Wars and the hottest thing in Hollywood at the time. So what better way to follow on from that with...a Gene Wilder comedy set in the wild west?. This is probably the one type of film that I wouldn't ever expect to see Harrison Ford in.

The plot is very straight forward, a Jewish Rabbi needs to get across the US to San Francisco so he can take up his new position and meet his new wife there. Its a perilous journey and he's gonna need help, luckily along the way he meets up with cowboy and bank robber Ford to guide him. What follows is a classic old fashioned odd couple tale with Ford as the stern dashing risk taking criminal who's good in a fight and fast with his pistol, and dragging his arse behind him is the strictly religious meek kind gentle innocent Rabbi who absolutely refuses to ride his horse on a Saturday.

Its the typical Wilder vehicle really with cheeky clever dialog, visual gags and pratfalls, tonnes of charm and a heart of gold at the centre. You know what to expect along the way, its pretty obvious really, any cliched predictable cowboy setup and scenario you can think of but stick a Rabbi in the thick of it, you know its gonna be amusing. I won't say its the best comedy I've come across or the best Wilder comedy, its certainly cute cheerful and good viewing for all the family. Its not quite as funny as I thought it might be admittedly, watching Wilder prance around in his Jewish tucks trying to cope with the wild west whilst Ford gruffly shouts at him is funny to begin with but does get a tad dull after a time.

The film does lack a bit of bite and could do with some more outright laughs really. Ford's acting is also a bit touch and go at first but he gets into it later on, only problem is he takes things a bit too seriously I think. You do tend to think this will be a farcical spoof type affair much like 'Young Frankenstein', the films poster hints at it and the combination of the ever lovable goofy Wilder alongside the manly Ford does seem to scream it. But this doesn't really materialise, in fact the film does swing more towards a soppy light-hearted drama towards the end which spoils the fun a bit for me.

The best moments are probably when the duo get caught by native Indians, again there are hints of great comedy here but it doesn't quite make it. And Again when the duo end up in a Trappist monastery (vows of silence)...you know where I'm going with this don't you huh. Yep its the classic setup for the kind of silly laughs you half expect to see in a Mel Brooks parody. Only thing is again they don't quite take advantage of the setup with only one funny silly moment.

I do feel there was a really classic comedy here just waiting to burst free but somehow its been smothered, not sure how or why. Maybe Wilder wanted to actually make a more semi serious comedy with some emotion. Its a strange little movie really, some nice bits of humorous dialog from Wilder at times but they get rained upon by Ford's overly assertive character. The films visuals are nice and cozy overall (you can see its an old film that's for sure) and generally everything ticks along harmlessly giving you the odd smile. Not really the manic wacky zany riot of belly laughs you've come to expect from Wilder. Never the less its a solid quirky alternative little western that's still worth a watch even though it does feel like its missing Mel Brooks' input.
September 6, 2010
This isn't a very well known comedy, but it's very funny and it was interesting to see Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford working together in a movie. If you like either of them, I recommend seeing this movie, it's fun.
deano
June 5, 2007
An okay western, but funny of a feisty team - rabbi (Gene Wilder) and bank robber (my favourite idol, Harrison Ford).
July 8, 2007
A great comedy Western with a funny Rabbi (Gene Wilder) seeking the protection of an gunslinging outlaw (Harrison Ford), for a journey from Philadelphia to San Francisco. They run into lots of perils and adventures along the scenic way. A great unlikely buddy picture in the grizzled west.
July 12, 2011
This movie was GREAT fun and begs for a re-make, but I don't know that it would have the same fun without Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford. As long as the re-make cast didn't try to "re-create" what those two actors did.
December 1, 2010
1 of my favorite Gene Wilder movies & 1 of the VERY few Harrison Ford movies I actually liked.A great Western buddy flick.I enjoyed it from start to finish.
June 17, 2009
Apparently I enjoyed this more than most people. Gene Wilder is terrific and very well cast. Just the idea of a Rabbi western is amusing, and that it is! Funny and very entertaining. It's a bit long, but otherwise a great comedy.
½ June 3, 2009
pretty entertaining film. a light-hearted comedy with a great spiritual heart. a rather motley assortment of elements--Judaism, the Old West, Gene Wilder, Harrison Ford, Robert Aldrich...a little Mel Brooks-esque comedy, a little action-Western, a little religious drama....all blended together quite nicely. the story itself isn't the most brilliantly written, but it's still a very fun and charming film.
February 10, 2009
Thought it was a comedy, but it has very few funny moments. Still, helps pass the time on a slow Sunday.
½ November 27, 2008
[Trying to catch a wild chicken]
Avram: Come here little chicken. I don't want to hurt you. I just want to eat you.
[the chicken flies away]
Avram: I don't want to hurt you! I just want to make you kosher!

Gene Wilder does an excellent job playing a Rabbi quite out of his element in 1850.
August 18, 2008
A really funny movie that manages to be serious at the same time. It was really well done by Wilder and Ford. They work well together and should have worked more together. Brilliant story and plays out well with some truely hilarious moments. My favorite was with the Monks. A must see.
August 14, 2007
"Guns?! Now you are shooting guns at me?!" "You give me the pee-doodles."
"Would somebody please show this poor asshole the way out of town."
October 16, 2007
I vaguely remember watching this on TV as a teenager. I remember it being funny, but I think it had some profanity in it also.
May 30, 2007
This is the most awesome movie! It comes on AMC and TMC every once in awhile and I catch it evertime.
½ December 21, 2006
One of those movies I will watch every time. Love it, even though Harrison Ford wasn't that good in it, Gene Wilder was perfection. A real treat.
½ December 5, 2006
Nothing like some comedic rabbi-cowboy antics in the form of Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford, respectively. Seriously though, this is a pretty amusing flick.
October 24, 2006
This is another one of my favorite underrated movies. I never would have put Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford as a dynamic duo for a film but they seem to do rather nicley together.

"Here little birdy! I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm just gonna eat you..."
October 8, 2006
Hilarious! This is so funny. I loved it. Gene and Harrison did a wonderful job! I love the chemistry between the 2 actors. Good for a laugh. Just a sweet old fashion movie.
August 22, 2015
A jumbled story, but one that ages well, I think. I only recently encountered the western, and found that, despite some atrocious writing, the characters weave a rather fun and pleasant tale.
½ July 4, 2012