19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

From Mexico with Love Reviews

Rico Z

October 30, 2009
Over the years, the story of the victimized illegal immigrant has been told countless times. The struggles and trials of a seemingly innocent people are always played out to manipulate an audience into feeling empathy toward their plight despite their getting themselves into it.

From Mexico with Love is a story that is no different in what it depicts--and even less different in how it makes you feel. At times, there are nuggets of poignancy as we see the rise of a young farm worker in Texas; from mere seasonal picker to a bona fide boxing star (in his own right.)

Overall, however, the plot lacks scope and ends up feeling too inwardly focused. What the film is trying to be is a mock-up of a Rocky sequel gone south of the border, but it ends up feeling like watching two kids playing boxers in their backyard.

Other questions of morality and family values come to the surface. The ruthless American farm owner (stereotypical as the Mexicans portrayed in the film) aims to thwart the hopes and dreams of our little Ricky--eh, Rocky--character. Some insipid romantic antics are thrown in as a desperate attempt at inciting some sort of connection to the female audience; but that ends up feeling forced and, ultimately, ends up being unnecessary.

If the tribulations of a people are to be taken seriously by outsiders who may already have a skewed opinion on the matter then movies like this one definitely do not help the cause. But, as far as entertainment goes, this movie meets the demands of an audience who may just be into seeing a pretty boy overcome obstacles and "better" himself. Through boxing. If the stereotypical glove fits...
puissantone
August 25, 2009
I missed the premier in Los Angeles but the movie is due out in 300 movies on October 9th. The previews rock. Kuno Becker is awesome. The new Special effects where the punches come through the screen and knock out the audience are intense. It's a must see in my book and Jimmy Nickerson directed Traffic and was involved in the Rocky series. Def a kick ass movie. I am NOT going to miss it ...
October 3, 2011
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!¡ (R)
November 27, 2010
decent movie. not a must see.
Toma
July 15, 2010
This movie offers nothing - too predictable story plus Kuno Becker once again plays a guy fighting for his dreams - this time for money.
Maybe boxing visuals aren't bad but as long as there's nothing else to see I don't think it's worth seeing at all.
Aaron R.
October 13, 2009
The First Person boxing visuals were great. Never seen boxing done so well in a movie. It felt like you were in the ring. The movie told the story of the struggles of being an immigrant farm worker in the US. I have never seen anything like this before but I would have to say this is a must see. Enjoy!