From the Hip Reviews

jjnxn
April 15, 2010
Has a sharp shift in tone between the first half and the second plus Judd Nelson is not the most charismatic leading man but the story is decent and there are excellent performances by Nancy Marchand, Darren McGavin, Ray Walston, Alan Arkin and particularly John Hurt who steals every scene that he's in.
½ March 31, 2007
This is not very well known, a real sleeper from the 80's but sooo funny and clever! Seriously, it's good...one of those favorites my Husband and I have watched over and over, great flick! DVD.
November 21, 2007
It goes from being kinda funny to way serious very quickly. I couldn't decide if it was a comedy or a drama
September 10, 2013
Just watched this movie for the second time in about a week taking a trip down memory lane. I actually liked this movie for the most part. I thought John Hurt's performance as the egotistic English Literature professor on trial for murder was brilliant. Judd Nelson was capable and Elizabeth Perkins sweet as the supportive girlfriend. Some funny supporting performances by Darren McGavin (best known for Christmas Story) and Alan Arbus (best known for being the psychiatrist on M*A*S*H).
May 31, 2013
Maverick snot nose new lawyer fakes his way to an unbeatable case only to realize that playing by the rules is better than being an assshole and letting a client get away with murder. John hurt is a stand out as a crazed client accused of murder. Lots of good funny bits and courtroom hijinks, but the story gets turned around by the romantic subplot involving Judd and his Fiance, Elizabeth Perkins, who could have been played by any one.
½ June 18, 2011
**1/2 (out of four)

Well tuned performances from Judd Nelson and John Hurt is almost enough to recommend this light drama. But the material just isn't up to their enthusiasm.

Nelson plays a lawyer fresh out of law school. He aggressively makes a name for himself with a high profile case. He is then hired by Hurt, a man accused of murder.
½ May 17, 2011
Not a great movie but if you haven't seen it, it is worth your time. Funny and creepy. A little contrived but it is a movie.
½ May 10, 2011
What a stupid so called film.