Frozen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frozen Reviews

½ August 30, 2015
It took me a while to get into this one and whilst the story is no masterpiece, musicals rarely are and it's actually a damned fine musical. It ain't the jazzy Disney of the mid 20th C. that we grew up on and not all songs work but those that do really make the movie. That and the catchphrases...
½ December 9, 2013
A visually stunning Disney animation with amazing songs and a wonderful story that boldly subverts the conventions of fairy tales by having no women in need of princes to rescue them. But still, it could have really done without one shocking revelation about a certain character in the last act.
½ December 8, 2013
If its final scene had ended with one more musical reprise and not with such a typical fade-out conclusion, 'Frozen' would've cemented its place in my top 3 favourites of 2013. But hey, it's the movie that completed the rejuvenation of Walt Disney Animation Studios, and for that I'm eternally thankful.
July 21, 2014
Sorry -- I don't get the popularity of this film. While the animation was exceptional, all the songs but one were pedestrian and unmemorable. The story was silly and the story behind the princess' special freezing power was never explained. Disney has done many films better than this one, which I consider average, at best.
½ July 11, 2014
I should start out with a disclaimer that before watching this film I did watch another review online which highlighted some problematic flaws. You could therefore say I was biased when I viewed it, but that doesn't take away from the simply poor nature of the film which whilst has some touching moments and songs is one of the worst of Disney's usually good pictures.

Telling the story of Elsa, a princess turned Queen with unexplained magical snow powers, and her annoying younger sister Anna, the film also includes the standard Disney side characters of: Prince who appears to have good intentions but surprisingly doesn't, lower social class ruffian who initially responds apprehensively to the damsel in distress but soon grows to love her, animal pet who becomes irritated at arrival of non-human sidekick and non-human sidekick who joins established animal pet. With her parent's both dying tragically Elsa must become Queen and also control her magical snow powers, which are still not and never are explained. Unfortunately she loses control of these powers because her sheltered sister decides to marry the Prince and all hell breaks loose...

The plot is pretty standard for a Disney film of this sort, as it should be. It is a kid's film and it's designed for that market. Thus whilst there are no great surprises or twists it doesn't particularly matter. The meat of the film is with the characters, most importantly the two sisters. And surprisingly the acting is not too bad. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was emotionally invested in the character's or their personal outcomes-it was only the reindeer, as an innocent animal, who's welfare I cared for, but both Kristen Bell, who is not exactly one of my favourite actors, and Idina Menzel delivered decent performances, as did Josh Gad as Olaf despite the sickly sweet nature of the role.

Unfortunately what lets 'Frozen' down seems to be where it derives all of its hype from-the songs. In comparison to other Disney animations which have had a range of hits and genuinely touching pieces the 'Frozen' songs were nagging, boring and dull. 'Do you want to build a snowman', was not touching or heartwarming but repetitively irritating and infuriating. The apparent consensus that 'Frozen' has delivered some of the best Disney songs for years is a lie.

To give its dues in beating stereotypes and genre cliches the two 'disney princesses' at least appear independent and free spirited, the traditional role of the prince being relegated to something of a b-story. But that message seems to be wrecked at the end of the film as Anna inevitably gets together with Kristoff. At least Elsa remains a strong Queen ruling alone in a somewhat Elizabethean like way.

Regardless the endless hype for this film does not live up to its actual qualities. It is a good kid's film as far as they go but there are far better on offer both from Disney and from others.
½ June 8, 2014
Frozen is a special movie because it manages to be great despite not being a gut-buster or a tear-jerker. The plot is interesting, with some funny moments and many other heartfelt ones, the characters are lovable, the animation is great and the story has great morals. But what makes this film standout is the great music that will entertain kids and adults alike. Kudos to the great voice actors/singers and songwriters for creating something special.
½ May 24, 2014
An enjoyable enough slice of ice and snow from Disney about a Queen (voiced by Idina Menzel) who has cast a wintry spell over the entire kingdom, and how her sister (voiced by Kristen Bell), accompanied by a few friends, go on a quest to find her and convince her to end her icy reign. While not as versatile from an audience standpoint as many other Disney films (some adults may grow bored), the movie is still clever enough with well detailed characters to get by its faults. The musical numbers are fantastic, and the sense of humor is definitely a plus as well. If nothing else, watch it for the awesome "Let It Go" music scene, which is phenomenal. Not my favorite Disney by a long shot (and that probably has something to do with the princess-like nature that dominates the film), but definitely solid.
January 27, 2014
It's a well-thought story that strays away from the typical clichà (C)d Disney romance and adds more meaning. Frozen is a joyous film that has its laughs, twists and powerful musical numbers. Though its shivering-cold-like structure may be a bit too much towards its conclusion, it's still a solid addition to this animation conglomerate known as Disney. 4/5
½ November 20, 2013
This was a little simpler than I thought going in based on the trailers I saw. The animation is absolutely gorgeous to behold and the songs, while not on the level of the golden era of Disney films, were solid. The story is predictable, but has a nice message for the little ones of just being yourself and not caring what anyone else thinks. This is an enjoyable film, but I would not put it on the level of a high quality Pixar film and am astonished at how well received it was at the box office. It made over a billion dollars worldwide at the box office! Audiences must have really wanted a blast from the past in the animation world.
March 19, 2014
Frozen is a great film. It's visually mesmerizing, evenly paced, and skillfully avoids cheap sentiment or pop culture references. Also boasting an arsenal of amazing song numbers, it'is the best DIsney movie since The Lion King and puts to shame Pixar's last three outings.
½ December 29, 2013
The animation is gorgeous, the story is complex and compelling, the characters are charismatic and likable, and the action is thrilling. Overall, it is well-executed, original, and tons of fun, making it the best Disney film since Lilo & Stitch, and the best Disney musical since Mulan.
½ March 17, 2014
I wonder how this movie definitely over-rated.. Not that I doubt the power of Walt Disney, but I just saw this movie is a very simple movie.. Maybe the story was unique and different with amazing animation and great song but for rate this movie that high? I definitely think that over-rated.. But I'm happy since Disney can make a better movie without having Pixar on its side..
½ March 17, 2014
There are a lot of good points to be made about Disney Animated Studio's latest and most acclaimed venture. The musical numbers are amazing, that cannot be denied. The seminal classic "Let it Go" is amazing in its immersive grace and staying power. Right now that song is everywhere and its popularity won't wane for some time, making it the newest in the Disney heroine's canon of anthems. The animation is breathtaking, even if it's indicative of a causal link with "Tangled". The feminist theme that everyone sees is not evident for me. I find Anna to be airy, uncertain, and none too smart about survival, especially in the beginning when she leaves her kingdom to a stranger and then wanders into the frozen tundra in a summer dress. That and the characters aren't all that interesting, except for Elsa. Elsa as a villain would also have been better, instead of having a throwaway villain who doesn't show up until the very end. Even Olaf is not as engaging and charming as everyone says he is, instead coming off as creepy more than once. That's not to say I completely hated the movie, I just think the adaptation takes away from the power of the original story.
½ March 17, 2014
With Frozen, Disney gets it's groove back in a pretty cool a degree.

Now, to be honest, I wasn't really interested in seeing this movie at first. I blame the marketing department. I only really ended up kinda wanting to see it because the trailer depicted the reindeer butt-scooting on a frozen lake, which greatly amused me. Turns out that scene wasn't in the movie at all, so when I did see the film, I was disappointed, and actually almost kinda didn't like this one.

My girlfriend at the time had seen it, loved it, and thought that I too had kinda wanted to see it, so she went with me, and she ended up being surprised that I actually kinda didn't want to see it, and that I also kinda didn't like it.

Since then, she and I have amicably broken up, and my feelings on the movie have warmed up some.

Yeah, this is the first of many long overdue reviews from stuff I've seen since just before Thanksgiving until now.

Anyways, Frozen is a very loose adaptation of a Hans Christian Anderson story about two princess sisters, and their tumultuous relationship. I say tumultuous since one of them gained magical powers to control ice and snow, which causes her to isolate herself from the world, leaving her little sister to basically fend for herself following the death of their parents.

When the two grow up, and Elsa (the magical one) inadvertently reveals her powers publically, thus causing all kinds of problems, it's up to little sister Anna to make things right, as well as grow up and get married, and all that kind of stuff.

This is both groundbreaking and run-of-the-mill for Disney in a few ways. It's one of their more progressive and somewhat subversive films, in that, while it does follow the typical princess film formula, it also tweaks it to keep it from being completely "just more of the same".

It's still a cutesy family friendly musical, but it also deals with feminism, sisterly relationships, and only sorta has the typical prince charming stuff. Even when that's there it doesn't completely follow formula.

I wasn't initially into the musical style, as it's very Broadwayesque, but as I said, it's grown on me. I guess at the time I saw it I kinda hated this because I was going through some personal stuff, thus my opinions of things were rather muddied. I like the music now, but I maintain that, while the film does have a great visual style and some great art direction, the character designs are kinda weird, and don't really work for me. The characters look kinda odd, and it's distracting.

Other than that though, this is, as you'd expect, very well done and charming stuff. The annoying comic relief isn't as annoying as I feared, the chemistry between the sisters is good, and, yeah, the fact that Disney tweaks the formula and expectations is both great and quite welcome.

Even though this one has grown on me, I still think it's overrated. I liked it, but no, I don't think it's a masterpiece or the beginning of the Disney Renaissance Pat 2, though I do like how the film is a fun call back to the past. Should you see it? Of course. Sure. Why not?

P.S. Sorry for my rambling and probable incoherence. As I said, I'm out of practice writing for the site, but I hope to change all that and get all caught up.
½ December 3, 2013
Rekindling A Long-Since Broken Bond.

Very Good Disney Movie! The story is heart melting, filled with the pure feeling and heart that has become a staple with the best Disney movies. It is a moving story that has family at its center. It is unpretentious in what it is trying to portray. The comedy hits right on the mark and the action packed adventure and thrilling journey make this a tale with a little bit of everything in the exact right amounts. A true triumph in story telling that proves exactly what Disney does best and again proving that they are back to producing top quality films. This is an affecting human story, one that is significant. The score and music is perfect. The score is grand. The sound, the texture, the harmony, the melody is in a class of its own. A true fairy tale that i would say could very well be The Little Mermaid or The Beauty and The Beast of this generation.

Anna, a fearless optimist, sets off on an epic journey - teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven - to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom. From the outside Anna's sister, Elsa looks poised, regal and reserved, but in reality, she lives in fear as she wrestles with a mighty secret-she was born with the power to create ice and snow. It's a beautiful ability, but also extremely dangerous. Haunted by the moment her magic nearly killed her younger sister Anna, Elsa has isolated herself, spending every waking minute trying to suppress her growing powers. Her mounting emotions trigger the magic, accidentally setting off an eternal winter that she can't stop. She fears she's becoming a monster and that no one, not even her sister, can help her.
½ February 16, 2014
A queen and her sister are estranged by the former's power to shoot ice out her hands.
It is as though Disney listened to all the complaints I and others like me have been leveling against it since its inception. Gender equality and powerless female characters abound in Disney's oeuvre, but Frozen marks a departure from their normal cliches, and the result is an inoffensive and entertaining film. Disney still has a way to go in racial equality, and it may be said that Elsa is unduly sexualized (though one cannot raise invectives at every animated character's hip sashay), but this film is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.
I found the Snowman's appearance unnecessary and distracting from the plot, but everything else -- the relationship of Anna and Elsa, Anna's attempt at a storybook love affair, Anna's adventures with the dashing Hans -- is compelling and fun. If not for the clout of U2's song, I'd say "Let It Go" is a lock for Best Song, and the film is the clear front-runner for Best Animated Feature.
Overall, I went into the theater looking to hate this film, but I could find very little reason to.
November 29, 2013
Much like the terrific "Tangled" from 2010, "Frozen" recalls the best of Disney's "princess" oriented movies... namely "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Little Mermaid." But "Frozen" doesn't just rely on nostalgia to be great.

One of Disney's best entries since Pixar started to dominate the animated landscape, "Frozen" is gorgeously animated escapism and top shelf eye candy, grounded by two very different, very likable protagonists in sisters Anna and Elsa (Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel respectively) and an eclectic group of memorable supporting characters. The film playfully derides the conventions that Disney usually roots these stories in, and finds clever ways to avoid them entirely, surpassing our expectations.

A terrific score and some of Disney's best songs in decades only raise the bar for what we should expect from Disney here on out... in a beautiful animated musical that just about everyone should enjoy.
½ February 2, 2014
Worst Disney movie I have seen in a long time
January 7, 2014
My coworker said his young daughter was raving about it and couldn't stop singing the songs so I dragged my reluctant sister to go see it, not knowing what it was about. Nic and I ended up laughing and moved and loving all the songs (and we're in our 20s!) She said it was the best Disney movie she'd watched since we were kids!

If you'll excuse me, I'm about to memorize the songs so I can sing them nonstop around my coworker tomorrow.