Futurama: Bender's Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Futurama: Bender's Game Reviews

August 31, 2008
Dwayne Carey-Hill pulls a page from J.R.R. Tolkien to assemble Futurama: Bender's Game.Spanning the length of 4 episodes, this 80 minute piece of work goes fantasy with Dungeons & Dragons to trigger the spark for the rest of the movie. The writing comes across as a bit lazy and less original, which isn't exactly good news; however, the amusement level is still in existence.The comedy has its share of laughs, mostly in the film's final act when it decides to parody The Lord of the Rings. Fry definitely has his moments here. Actually, he has his moments everywhere.There are a lot of guest stars to provide voices for out of the blue characters, but it is the usual cast of Billy West, Katey Sagal, and John DiMaggio among others getting the job done.As a whole, Futurama: Bender's Game feels a little less like "Futurama," but that's okay.
November 15, 2010
Oh my nerd references.... another giftie for the fans. I must say I do like all of the references from the series put in the movies. It's subtle and part of that 'goft to the fans' thing.
½ July 23, 2010
Enjoyable for the most part.
½ December 1, 2008
Bender's Game is my favorite of the three Futurama movies that I've seen so far. It still can't match the cleverness and humor of the original four seasons, but at least it has an amusing plot and a quite a few moments that brought a smile to my face. It did end rather abruptly, but this combination of D&D and Tolkien fantasy (among other things) is a much more enjoyable than the first two attempts at rekindling the Futurama magic.
½ May 26, 2009
Enough already - don't destroy the memory any further ! Jokes ? Wit ? Invention ?
½ March 4, 2009
If you don't like it, you can kiss my shiny metal ass!
½ December 8, 2008
The third direct to DVD adventure of the Planet Express crew starts out a little slow. The 90 minutes episode takes a while to find its direction, but once the characters stumble into a fantasy world (thanks to Bender's Dungeons and Dragons obsession) that is full of movie references (including Star Wars and especially the Lord of the Rings trilogy) the film gets back on track and pretty much bursts with crazy and hilarious ideas. It was about damn time for Matt Groening to pay reference to the greatest movie trilogy of our times. And its a nice nod towards the late Gary Gygax, inventor of D&D, as well. In other words: for geeks and Futurama fans and a lot of fun.
November 10, 2008
I guess it's because I'm not a Futurama watcher, but this is hardly funny at all.
November 9, 2008
Leela: Oh, Lord, I'm half horse and half naked!

The third Futurama movie/four combined episodes to be released. Certainly a quality hour and a half of Futurama goodness. It puts less focus on the more obscure characters and in-jokes for dedicated fans and is more joyfull for anyone to watch. Familiar faces are still around, but its good enough for the casual fan as well.

Since this is four episodes, there are essentially two plots. One involves a rise in gas prices (how poignant) due to a monopoly owned by the evil Mom character. The other plot involves the cast eventually getting caught in a fantasy world formed by Bender. Irregardless of the plot, the movie is very funny.

Bender: Shut up! Zoidberg! But he does have a point.

This time, great use is put to some more random jokes. Not Family Guy styled manatee jokes, but more ludicrous Futurama type stuff that is just very funny due to the voice actors and sight gags.

The structure of this film is also more satisfying than the previous Beast with a Billion Backs, which kind of suffered from genre switches and pacing. Here everything comes together pretty well.

And be warned, pushing Futurama into further geekdom, Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings find their way heavily referenced here.

A lot of good fun for Futurama fans.

Scary Door Narrator: But it wasn't guns or machines that destroyed the alien's, but the humblest of earth's creatures, the Tyrannosaurs Rex.
October 25, 2008
Another fantastic entry in the series. Can't wait until the next one, then again, it could be the last one, but hopefully not.
½ November 1, 2008
Sadly, but true, this wasn't much of an improvement compared to the annoyingly disappointing second film, The Beast with a Billion Backs. I don't know if the writers have just gotten lazy, or if they have somehow been replaced by humorless androids from Robot Hell, but this is not the Futurama that I love and remember. It's still watchable, and did make me chuckle once or twice, but on the whole, it's not nearly as good as the original series. A bummer to say the least.
January 22, 2015
Bender's Game is another hilarious Futurama film.
May 16, 2012
Futurama: Bender's Game is a hilarious and fun adventure into the strange and bizarre. In this third feature the Planet Express crew takes on Mom in order to free the universe from its reliance on dark matter fuel, but when things go wrong they end up caught in an alternative fantasy universe. The film is mainly a spoof on Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons, and it works pretty well. Most of humor and satire is fairly smart and clever, making for an entertaining film. The plot is nonsensical, but it's a fun story with a lot of laughs. There are a few missteps, but overall Futurama: Bender's Game is a return to the outlandish fun that made the television series so good.
½ October 31, 2011
As an extended episode of the series, not too bad, but not too good either. As a film, total shit. Nothing about it makes any sense at all.
½ December 21, 2008
It's such a train wreck from a writing standpoint and I was extremely confused for a long time so I couldn't really enjoy it.
May 10, 2015
A dungeon and dragon homage that didn't really make any sense, possibly the weakest of all the films.
½ October 3, 2009
The best and the funniest of the three Futurama movies. Some of it is a little specific to nerds (like me) and D&D as it is dedicated to Gary Gygax but still has the most funny I've seen from this franchise for awhile.
November 20, 2008
Another brilliant story built on the best series ever. There is not much more to say really, if you like Futurama you will definately enjoy this hilarious movie. I just hope that the next one (Into the Wild Green Yonder) isn't the last. That would be a tragedy for good humour.
½ August 31, 2014
Bender's Game is possibly my favorite of the Futurama movies due to its strong connection to the essence of the original series. It, like the rest of the franchise, heavily relies on gags, a lot of which I think it pulls off because it feels like the original humor found in the show during its FOX days, not to mention its plot connections to Nibbler and his origins that actually make sense. If it had stuck with its dark matter ploy instead of making such a drastic change of setting halfway through, then I think it could've been better, but instead the shift into Bender's highly active imagination completely derails what had been set up, and simply puts the plot on pause instead of offering it anything to work with. Even if it was made with Gary Gygax in mind, there probably could've been better means of execution, but all that aside, there's a solid setup and conclusion, even if the Futurama randomness works better in the world it had already set up for itself instead of a mediocre parody of Middle Earth.
½ October 19, 2013
The 3rd Futurama movie. Nothing to really complain about - about as good as the other two, I would say