G-Men Reviews

cosmo313
August 14, 2011
You could easily write this off as being a piece of propaganda/an FBI recruitment film, which is basically is. But it's also just a straight forward, traditional, albeit formulaic ansd predictable crime caper following the exploits of federal agents, or G Men as they strive to bring the major criminals across the country to justice.

It's an enjoyable film, sure, but I wouldn't really call it all that great or distinguished. It's not bad, but I don't think it's all that special either. It does feature James Cagney playing a good guy for once, which is cool, but as I said, this is a very typical genre film. The performances are decent though, especially Cagney, and there's a decent amount of humor and some faily decent action, too.

All in all, an unremarkable film, but still slightly better than average. I don't fully recommend it, but I'm not saying avoid it either.
½ July 16, 2007
It can easily be argued that G-Men is nothing more than an FBI recruitment movie, which in a sense it is. But is definitely a great one. James Cagney plays a lawyer turned fed whose benefactor is a mobster whose only wish for him is to go straight. There are plenty of seemingly obligatory plot devices in G-Men, Cagney does... well, Cagney and its a must see for any fan of early mobster movies. The thing I noticed was how Michael Mann's Public Enemies ripped off G-Men's night time raid seemingly verbatim. It's done impeccably here but Public Enemies just got that much shittier...
jjnxn
½ November 5, 2008
The film is dated but entertaining. Jimmy's on the right side of the law this time and as nimble as ever and the fantastic Ann Dvorak is wonderful in the smaller of the two women's roles. However Margaret Lindsay is terrible and arch as the female lead.
½ September 23, 2007
Pretty descent gangster film about the birth of the FBI. Cagney chews some scenery and has a few great moments too.
Critique Threatt
December 7, 2011
One of actor's James Cagney and director William Keighley's best film. The film's attempt to counteract what many conservative political and business leaders claimed was a disturbing trend of glorifying criminals in the early 1930s gangster film genre.

So in a way "G Men" (Government Man) is almost a watershed for the gangster pictures as was "Wizard Of Oz" was to the musicals. I admired the tough flat out dialogue and Cagney's performance as the government man breaking all the rules into bringing justice. There is romance too but it is not important but the violence is well directed and moves by fast and earned it's code by the MPAA and I admired the relationship between Cagney and Armstrong. After watching "G Men" it's what I call a first rate picture.
keith222
February 1, 2008
this is my second time to watch this film. The first time was like 15 years ago. This is just a great little story about early history of the FBI. Cagney as a cop is just as charming as Cagney as a Gangster. But when you really think about it when wasn't Cagney charming.
January 28, 2008
Cagney as a Copper.Great film and a good story.
July 3, 2009
A pretty all right movie with great acting by the impeccable Cagney of course. All in all a worthwhile gangster flick if only because it has Cagney on the other side of the law while portraying the humble beginnings of the FBI.
May 29, 2015
a bit of a propaganda film for the FBI (and a deserving one), but in hindsight, it can be heavy handed. Sill, Cagney is excellent.
½ January 28, 2015
Cagney really did have that star quality and he easily carries this exciting tale of FBI agents ('G' Men) trying to stop a ruthless bank-robbing gang. It's another variation on the "street kid turns cop" legend with Cagney being raised and having his education paid for by a notorious bootlegger who wants him to follow the straight and narrow (initially as a lawyer, but when his FBI friend gets bumped off...). Director Keighley keeps things rip-roaring, especially at the end when the G men are allowed to carry tommy guns and the whole place gets torn up. I'm sure this was a crowd pleaser in the 1930s and it's still a great romp.
December 30, 2010
A Ok. film nothing special.
September 2, 2014
I loved this 'birth of the FBI' film, with James Cagney as a law-school graduate who decides to join to avenge his killed ex-college roommate. He's outstanding, and supported by strong character actors like Robert Armstrong, Margaret Lindsay and Ann Dvorak. Exquisitely recommended.
October 18, 2014
this 1935 movie still packs a punch f.b.i. officers were called G Men James Cagney made this movie along with Margaret Lindsay and a very good supporting cast.
January 21, 2013
"G-Men" is directed by William Keighley and stars James Cagney as Brick Davis, an attorney whose college friend Eddie (Regis Toomey) is murdered by a mobster (Barton MacLane) while working for the Department of Justice. Brick quits lawyering and joins the FBI. When the fact that he was close friends with a mobster (who put him through law school) turns up, Brick is able to supply a lot of information to the bureau.

The action in this film is non-stop, with car chases, kidnappings, lots of shooting, and scenes at a lodge, reminiscent of a well-known real-life happening in Wisconsin.

Cagney is excellent as usual, and Barton MacLane gives a strong performance as the enemy. Lloyd Nolan, as a fellow recruit, makes his film debut.
February 12, 2013
One of James Cagney's finest hours on the silver screen!
½ August 16, 2012
"g-men" starts off strong and ends even stronger, but the middle feels like it drags and drags. i'm not exactly sure what went wrong but it doesn't feel like it was written by the same person who wrote the beginning and end.
February 8, 2012
While being very much of its time, G Men is still an entertaining film for a James Cagney buff. Allegedly, this movie was made because J. Edgar Hoover openly complained about Hollywood romanticizing criminals and demanded a flick that promoted his agency. This may not be true, but the implication makes the film's plot seem markedly different.
Critique Threatt
December 7, 2011

June 17, 2011
Time for a switch...

After playing a Gangster for the better part of four years, Cagney was allowed a curveball in 'G-Men'. Though not without a little prodding to the Warners, Jimmy turned the tables and finally portrayed the law, in one of the better F.B.I. films to this day. Breaking from his standard typecast, Cagney gets to show a little more range in a restrained lawman looking to use the law as his vehicle of payback. A great turn in a well paced and scripted film.

For Cagney fans or just old school movie lovers, bring the popcorn.
March 28, 2011
This James Cagney film shows exactly why I love classic film noir movies! It is a fresh approach to see Cagney as a good guy on the right side of the law (in this case, a Gman - which was an early version of the modern day FBI). Cagney plays "Brick" Davis who joins the FBI after a failed attempt ad being a criminal prosecutor. His checkered past comes back to haunt him as he must put away his old allies. If you like classics, then I HIGHLY recommend this one. It will be added to my collection when I can find it.